UNDER THE ROSES US GAMES ED

Glitterbird

Hmmm.. you all are talking me into this deck. ;)

greatdane

Glitterbird Enable Alert

Well done, great stock and inexpensive. Any questions? :)))

claire1805

Just wanted to drop in an update regarding my current feelings with the deck... So far, I am really liking these cards A LOT, and the images on them are just so wonderful. However, I notice that the card edges are beginning to peel slightly, showing some whites here and there. Does it happen for your decks as well?

greatdane

I use the deck quite a bit....and no peeling or fraying

I am going to use distressed ink on the edges, but not because there is a problem. I just thought the edges would look nice with color from the borders and backs. Did you get them from Book Depository, Claire1805? You could contact them and tell them the problem and see if you can get another. Like I said, I use quite often and no problem and I have had for a couple months now.

claire1805

I am going to use distressed ink on the edges, but not because there is a problem. I just thought the edges would look nice with color from the borders and backs. Did you get them from Book Depository, Claire1805? You could contact them and tell them the problem and see if you can get another. Like I said, I use quite often and no problem and I have had for a couple months now.

Thanks for the advice! I might have to check with Book Depository then. I only have them for around a week or so now...

greatdane

Then it definitely shouldn't be doing that, Claire!

I don't riffle shuffle, not that that should really matter. I do an over and under shuffle. But I have paid much more for a deck that DID wind up getting white spots or peeling and I was pleasantly surprised by this inexpensive little deck and how sturdy it seems. So yes, I would contact Book Depo if that happened to me!

greatdane

JUST edged my deck....

I will try to put up a pic Thursday. I used Gathered Twigs by Tim Holtz. It is definitely BROWN. I think it looks great. But if you just want an "aged" look, this would likely be too dark. I could easily just wipe away any stray bit (but you need to do it before it dries, even though waterbased, once it was dry, even a damp qtip wouldn't get any little bit off) and on the backs this is great because the backs have a kind of mottled brown, it isn't just one shade, so I just kind of rubbed any little bit in and it looks good. But expect BROWN, like tree brown.

cSpaceDiva

This deck looks very attractive, but one card gives me pause -- the Whip (or whatever its name is in this deck). I'm not a purist, and I don't mind modifications of the images like making the Coffin into the Grave. But to my mind, the woman with the whip brings sex to the forefront and minimizes other possible meanings.

In general, where the standard images show only an object, I don't like to see a scene with a person interacting with that object, like this deck's Whip card or the Postmark's Scythe card. One exception is the Antiquarian's Snake card, which shows a snake wrapped around a woman. To me this seems acceptable, because the corresponding playing card is a Queen, and one of the traditional interpretations is a woman.

Does anyone else have this kind of concern about the Whip card in this deck?

Edited to add: Looking again at online images, I have the same concern about the Ring card. My attention is drawn to the hand and the rose. If I were new to Lenormand and didn't look at the card title, I would never have even known that the card was about a ring.

I have to agree with this. I really like the colors used and the artistic style of this deck, but I wish they had left off the people and their hands from most of the cards. The one that bothers me the most is The Snake. It strikes me as a nasty stereotype and I can't unsee it.

greatdane

I did wind up moving my Under the Roses along. Lovely deck, but yes, the WHIP, while I could read with it and just trained myself to see it the way I see the WHIP/BROOM, seemed out of place in a "Victorian" style deck. In many ways, it is a lovely, but that was a bit of a strange Whip....

Vanchica

This is my newest deck and I really like it a lot. Have done a bunch of readings with it for people and they flow really well. Popular with the person being read for each time as well. The sepia really harmonizes the look. Appreciate the multicultural images very much