Reversals with numbered pips

Richard

How do you read reversals for the cards that are exactly the same? I find this a problem because I think reversals are very important and I have several decks with numbered pips.

Perhaps the impossibility of determining a reversal for certain cards is an indication that reversals are not intrinsically meaningful. Occam's Razor would imply that reversals may be an artifice imposed on card reading without adequate justification.

Ruby Jewel

Perhaps the impossibility of determining a reversal for certain cards is an indication that reversals are not intrinsically meaningful. Occam's Razor would imply that reversals may be an artifice imposed on card reading without adequate justification.

This is, of course, something I have considered inasmuch as reversals are a relatively new invention. As I mentioned earlier here, I just started reading them recently and I have been reading them upright since the 80s. When I finally tried it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the meanings were actually more accurate. So, your point is well taken...still, there is a reason that many of the best and most notorious readers insist on reversals, and I am beginning to understand why myself. They seem to cut through to the 'essence' of the situation.

Barleywine

This is, of course, something I have considered inasmuch as reversals are a relatively new invention. As I mentioned earlier here, I just started reading them recently and I have been reading them upright since the 80s. When I finally tried it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the meanings were actually more accurate. So, your point is well taken...still, there is a reason that many of the best and most notorious readers insist on reversals, and I am beginning to understand why myself. They seem to cut through to the 'essence' of the situation.

I've used them pretty much since I started in the early '70s, and while I don't "swear by them" by any means, I get enough value out of them as subtle modifiers that I keep on using them. I find reversal can give almost a dual meaning to a card's interpretation: the normal "root" energy is there, but it's delivery - or perhaps its uptake by the querent - is skewed in some way. They make me think of a "junk pitch" instead of a "fastball" in baseball. Sometimes a bigger "catcher's mitt" is needed :)

Ruby Jewel

I've used them pretty much since I started in the early '70s, and while I don't "swear by them" by any means, I get enough value out of them as subtle modifiers that I keep on using them. I find reversal can give almost a dual meaning to a card's interpretation: the normal "root" energy is there, but it's delivery - or perhaps its uptake by the querent - is skewed in some way. They make me think of a "junk pitch" instead of a "fastball" in baseball. Sometimes a bigger "catcher's mitt" is needed :)

I'm still trying to get a handle on them.....I don't know that I could defend my use of them....all I know is they reveal a side that I might have overlooked in an upright position....like a ghost image visible inside a crystal that adds another dimension and the entire card gains a clarity that wasn't there before. Maybe because that is the way people actually are.....not just always "upright"..... we have invisible facets in our personalities. I think it is a matter of weight and emphasis. We know the "reverse" side is an inherent part of the card, but in reverse, it gains priority.....emphasis that would not be given to it otherwise.