ANYONE Reading at Thanksgiving?

greatdane

For folks who celebrate Thanksgiving this Thursday, get together with family and friends, do you take a deck with you?

Anyone get asked for readings at family gatherings?

Or does your reading stay under wraps?

emilygrace

My life as an occultist is my most closely guarded secret. I don't need my family or friends judging me for it. So the answer is no.

Annabelle

We never travel for Thanksgiving -- his family is far away (and we normally go at Christmas or in the summer), and I'm estranged from what remains of my family.

So it's just the two of us, cozy at home, surrounded by my tarot decks, his many musical instruments, and our shelves of books :).

But getting to the root of your question -- I'm open about my use of tarot with anyone who comes into my house, and when I travel I take a deck with me. His family (that is, my partner's family) is very open-minded, and I've done readings for some of them before. My family? Eh, who knows, and I don't care anyway.

Tanga

I was tempted to offer readings to friends (that celebrate)...
BUT - I've been in burnout for a while, so I "listened" to myself and figured it would be pushing it a bit.

Was only today, tempted to take a deck into a favourite shop up-the-road and play 3 card draw for fun - as the shop host in there, admitted he's nervous about Tarot though a good psychic friend of his has offered to read for him for free.

I'm very lucky that my reading doesn't have to stay under wraps where I am.
It's gaining popularity in London. I do have lots of sceptics ask me questions - but they're never of the kind that are trying to trash me (not yet anyway). They're genuinely trying to understand, because from what they've known - it's dumb. But here I am, an intelligent and able person they know, being all enthusiastic about it. So - I tell them of the many wonders of it's uses, it's history and it's beauty.

Stays under wraps. Been threatened with excommunication from the church that I go to.

Wow. I'm sorry.

delizt

Im also under wraps at Thanskgiving, however my nieces do sneak peeks at my decks if they are here:)

greatdane

I'm getting a great visual, Delizt :)

I am picturing them slyly sneaking peeks at your decks.

Grizabella

I always carry a deck with me. At least one. :) If I were asked to read during the holiday, I'd consider the feelings of whoever is sharing the holiday with me. If it would offend some people, I'd not bring out my cards.

ETA: This year my birthday is on Thanksgiving and it will be just me and my youngest daughter here at my apartment so if she asks for a reading, I'll do that.

Disa

Thanksgiving has been at my house for the past 20 years or so. I'm usually pretty busy with the hosting, cooking, etc on the actual day and not really in the frame of mind to read once I've worked myself to death with the cooking, cleaning and all that ahead of time. (I'm also usually going on 3-4 hours sleep the night before.) With all of that being said, I've only once been asked to read on Thanksgiving Day in the midst of all that and I just really had to say no. (Only one person would ever ask something like that at a time like that for a person she brought who was a jerk...my mother :p )

I do always have a deck with me where ever I go and if I'm asked to read at a gathering I've been invited to, I will read. Before some family gatherings the host/family member will ask ahead of time if I'll read and on those occasions, I will bring several decks, reading cloth, etc and I don't mind reading at all. It's actually quite fun when one person comes to a separate room, gets their reading, then they send in another, and another, and another :) I'm always surprised who in the family would like a reading on that day, and who goes home and thinks about it and contacts me later... I'm also surprised to find out who in the family absolutely would NOT like a reading for whatever reason..it's all good. Some people you would never think would be afraid in a million years are afraid...I respect their feelings.

violetdaisy

I've never really thought about it. My dad loves me but hasn't a clue, my mom is more of a Native American theology, my daughter - has 2 decks, soon to be 3 but basically collects for the art and to freak out her friends. My husband's family (that know) think I'm still saveable....just not a priority, for me, the holiday is more about family than anything else. So I focus on cooking, cleaning, etc. And wine and socializing ��