Why Receive Predictions?

yannie

I would be concerned about having a predictive reading that then caused me to worry about things unnecessairily, that is my great reservation i think.
Any further comments?

Learning to let go of the reading, and all thoughts and emotions that arise from it, is important to me, whether it's good news or bad news. You should be well-skilled enough in meditation to know why that'd be useful in taking care of that.

Grizabella

Anything you read on really, unless it's in the past or happening this minute, is future so you have to predict. If you give advice, you're saying "If you do X, then Y is likely to be the best for you." that's predicting. Or say you're reading on what would be the best approach to something, then you're still saying "if you choose this option, this is the likely result" that's predicting. It's extremely difficult to get around the predicting thing when it's given some thought.

jillkite

I understand what people mean, that in therapeutic tarot reading there is also an element of predicting, opening people's minds to choices, possibilities and consequences.

However, the reader that i'm thinking of going to see gave my friend a prediction that she would become seriously ill in her 50's, but that she would recover.

This prediction came true.

I'm not sure i'm ready to receive that kind of a reading? What about you?

That's the kind of thing that i'm talking about. Is it useful?

When this friend received that prediction i don't think it spurred her into any kind of preventative-health related action. Maybe it could have done.

Grizabella

Well, wouldn't you rather be prepared for what was coming so you could take good care of yourself and maybe make the serious illness not as bad as it would have been if you hadn't known?

Saskia

Never ask a question you are not willing or ready to hear an honest answer. That's my advice for any sort of questions, be it tarot and therapeutic or predictive; or from your partnet about a relationship, or from your boss about your work performance. It does take strong mind to handle some questions and I myself would never ask for example when I'll die, but I'm happy to ask other sort of predictive questions to be able to choose the best possible path and attitude for what's coming ahead.

CosmicBeing

I understand what people mean, that in therapeutic tarot reading there is also an element of predicting, opening people's minds to choices, possibilities and consequences.

However, the reader that i'm thinking of going to see gave my friend a prediction that she would become seriously ill in her 50's, but that she would recover.

This prediction came true.

I'm not sure i'm ready to receive that kind of a reading? What about you?

That's the kind of thing that i'm talking about. Is it useful?

When this friend received that prediction i don't think it spurred her into any kind of preventative-health related action. Maybe it could have done.

Not trying to be a tard. But isn't serious illness part of aging. Most females and males will gain some kind of serious illness in their 50's... high blood pressure is a serious issue.. we just don't think it's that serious because there are meds. But, high blood pressure can damage the kidneys and many organs because of the pressure.

Just be aware of what questions and answers you are willing to accept. In the end... life is gonna happen and well i feel maybe it's best to have some idea of what the future may be so we can accept it or try to do something about it. Your friend might have not done preventive care because she didn't believe she would get horrible ill or maybe she thought like I did. I'm gonna be in my 50's one day and something is gonna have to take me down sooner or later in life because everyone dies.

If you don't want to deal with predictions (well major ones) just avoid them and be aware of the type of questions you are going to ask.

In the end how we approach tarot, oracle, lenormand, or whatever other forms of divination is a personal experience and unique form. Follow the form you are the most comfortable with.

Barleywine

I almost always speak in terms of probabilities rather than inevitabilities. It's more about increasing a querent's situational awareness than offering flat predictions.

Not: Tommorow you will be hit by a truck."

But: "Tomorrow you may be at risk of an accident if you go out."

Not: "Your husband is going to cheat on you."

But: "Your husband may become restless and dissatisified with your lack of interest."

I work from the general to the specific with input from the querent to zero in on the most likely future scenario. If the querent is definitely staying home all day tomorrow, I wouldn't talk about runaway trucks (although one could certainly jump the curb and land in the kitchen). If he or she is going for a walk in the city, I would probably warn about careless street-crossing. Tarot can, of course, be quite literal, but I tend to frame my observations in a more conceptual or open-ended way, giving the querent an opportunity to choose the best path. I like to call it "situational positioning."

danieljuk

I think people ask for predictions more often when they are uncertain or lack confidence about life. If the future is scary and uncertain you want to be forewarned or hear some positive news. But some people never read predictively or ask about the future. I think people have different personalities! People who have more anxiety based personalities rather than "go with the flow" tend to ask more! I think also when people are in a bad place they want to be sure of what is going to happen.

It's something I struggle with in my own life, I am selective about what I want to know in future now. But as well as being prepared, there is a safety element to it, reassurance. You can get too obsessed with reassurance about the future or it's just a help to make choices and take them light heartedly.

yannie

I almost always speak in terms of probabilities rather than inevitabilities. It's more about increasing a querent's situational awareness than offering flat predictions.

Not: Tommorow you will be hit by a truck."

But: "Tomorrow you may be at risk of an accident if you go out."

Not: "Your husband is going to cheat on you."

But: "Your husband may become restless and dissatisified with your lack of interest."

I work from the general to the specific with input from the querent to zero in on the most likely future scenario. If the querent is definitely staying home all day tomorrow, I wouldn't talk about runaway trucks (although one could certainly jump the curb and land in the kitchen). If he or she is going for a walk in the city, I would probably warn about careless street-crossing. Tarot can, of course, be quite literal, but I tend to frame my observations in a more conceptual or open-ended way, giving the querent an opportunity to choose the best path. I like to call it "situational positioning."

This reminds me of a time when a fortune teller advised me re my career: "Protect your body." What happened later was...I got injured in a completely unexpected way even though I took steps to protect myself. If I didn't take precautions following his advice though, it could've been worse. What he did was prepare me for something unavoidable.

Another time, an ex-colleague told me through her cards that I wouldn't need an education for my career. I thought that reading was rubbish - I was going on to get a degree in my chosen field. I thought she was just trying to damage my confidence. 10 years later...well I'm not exactly making use of my degree for work now.

Laurelle

The issue with predictative readings is that the querent can whole heartedly believe you. Then they go out to FIND it....

And what happens if they try to FORCE something to happen and by forcing it they prevent it from happening?