Fey Art

dadsnook2000

The Star

Hello all. I have seen a few of the Fey cards on-line. Of those that I have seen I like, for wood carving reasons, the seven of swords, the elf who is painting his hand, and the Star. If anyone can send me a scan of the Star I would like to start carving that figure. I don't want to have to wait another week until Dan brings his cards to our Tarot Circle so I can take a digital photo of the cards I like. So, if anyone can scan the Star and send it I would be appreciative. Dave.

dadsnook2000

Looks good

Thanks for the scan. It is difficult to pick out card figures that can be carved in deep relief. You have to avoid thin or narrow objects such as swords or arms that go out from the main body of the figure such that they cut across grain (since they break off). And you have to have some foreground and depth but not too much undercutting. Since I also replicate these in castings, I have to think about molding limitations as well. We'll see how the Star works out. It should be too long before I'm able to get the deck. Thanks again, Dave.

contrascarpe

Dave's handiwork

Hi all -

Dave (dadsnook) sent me a couple of pictures showing his handiwork. Now that he has a place to put his Fey deck, we have to talk him into actually buying the deck now :)

I am attaching the photos Dave sent in the next two posts.

Dan

Attachments

• tarot-fey-ace-p.jpg
    tarot-fey-ace-p.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 188

contrascarpe

And the second picture .....

Here is the relief on the book box itself.

Attachments

• tarot-fey-ace-p-bookbox.jpg
    tarot-fey-ace-p-bookbox.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 172

dadsnook2000

Carving the Fey Ace of Pentacles

This was a fun figure to carve and it actually went quite quickly. This Ace was intriguing in its artistic concept and could be carved in a way that kept the arms and accessory items within a compact area. While it is easy to carve arms, legs and other stuff out from the body it is more difficult to replicate them when I need to make a second one.

The Ace-and-Book photo turned out quite nicely. The Ace-alone was taken with the figure on a white background -- and then I dropped the shading, etc. So the figure itself doesn't show the shadows and doesn't emphasize the depth. If I post any other photo's I'll leave all the shadows from the lights in the photo.

In a week or two I'll do another Fey figure. I took several photos of Dan's deck and cards so I have a few to choose from. Dave.

SongDeva

Walmart .com sells the whole set for $18 and change!

lunalafey

oooooo- walmart.......no!
:D

Pook

Sorry Ya'll, Wal-Mart has been sold out of this set for a LONG time! I tried to buy mine there for $18, but they won't even let me reserve it, cuz I guess they aren't planning on getting anny more. I got mine from TotalCampus.com for a little over $20...not too bad I guess. Try fetchbook.info for price comparisons!