Learning to understand and love (some) Swords

jenster

After a great many years I've come to feel great appreciation of this suit that I once feared.
The most honest and clear of them all.
I made a selection on the ones I'm most clear about.
I'd really appreciate it if I could hear your intuitions too.

Two of Swords: the card that tells me to let go, if it turns up for someone else. This person does not want to know, does not want to see. They are closed off and nothing will get them to open up to another view, to acknowledging something they don't want to.

Three of Swords: heartbreak, always, but not as I'd first thought regarding the people in question. It has almost exclusively come up for a reluctance brought on by the memory of heartbreak or for someone fearing heartbreak or for someone presuming heartbreak (i.e. believing the one they are interested in is in a relationship when in fact that person is not or is ending the relationship they're in).

Four of Swords: actual, literal, rest. It's a card for someone or a situation that has peacefully shut their eyes. There is no rupture, no abandonment.
The equivalent of turning off a machine to stop it from overheating.It will take the time it takes. What is being secured is continued functioning.

Six of Swords: Again, peace. I've had this come up a *lot* for situations where a situation has grown very tense, perhaps people said/did things that were too harsh. It's a moment of understanding. Forgiving enough (yourself, others or both) to move on. It's a card that to me reflects the inner psychology of a person rather than actions.

Seven of Swords: Not as malicious as I'd first thought. It seems to come up for finding a "clever" way around obstacles/problems. In my experience it doesn't imply deceit. I.e. someone is lying to you and denies the truth when confronted; you leave without further explanation. It's not open but it's also an adequate response to someone being insincere. It can also come up for happy occasions such as the going behind someone's back to plan a surprise for them.

Nine of Swords: a beautiful, beautiful card. The person is *aware* of reality. The feelings are terrible and anguishing but there is also sobriety. It's the first step, health will be recuperated, the worse is over (it might take a while but it's definitely started).

Ten of Swords: a highly dramatic ending/falling out that however is the equivalent of a barking dog (it won't bite). Not that it's not hurtful but it's also very theatrical.

Page of Swords: fight-picking inclination. Usually in an immature way. Someone hell-bent on trying to prove a point or intellectual superiority. The arguments are cutting, the logic is sound, but there is something with the motivations of it that just doesn't match the intensity of the arguing. Exactly as a child would there is hidden spite or hurt feelings behind it. (slight similarity with 5 of wands; very slight).

Edit to add:
Eight of Swords: feeling like you've painted yourself in a corner. You believe reality to be a certain way and this way invites you to non-action, but won't/can't take off the blindfold to check what the reality actually is.
In the aftermath of a falling out this could be "deciding" you have said too much/caused too much damage, things can't be fixed. So you stay there.
Actually the Eight of Swords has been revealing itself to me only lately so any help here is welcome. As well as with all the other Swords.

magicjack

I like your more positive bend on the suit of swords. I've always believed if you haven't learned how to deal with the more difficult cards then your not ready to read the cards. And your Ace? What do you think of that? I think sometimes we think of swords as just swords instead of SWORDS if you get what I mean. Swords are very dangerous weapons, for good and bad.

Marsy

Ace of Swords The potential to clear obstacles and a new beginning with communications. For example if you haven't spoken to someone, they are open to hearing from you.

Page of Swords Coward, being on the defense with a my way or the highway attitude. For example I know you are right but I'm not going to acknowledge it therefor admit to being wrong.

Two of Swords Being indecisive about a decision. For example a guy knows he needs to tell the girl if he wants a relationship with her but he's taking his time with the decision.

Three of Swords Exactly the same description as OP; A reluctance brought on by the memory of heartbreak or for someone fearing heartbreak or for someone presuming heartbreak. For example the thought of heartbreak is too great to consider a relationship right now.

Four of Swords Resting, mentally checking out of the situation and no longer putting any thought into it for now.

Five of Swords The battle is over by default as someone either caved or walked away. For example the guy decided to get over his fear of heartbreak and start a relationship or the girl got tired of waiting for him to overcome his fear and walked away.

Six of Swords Forgiveness, no longer being held back by misunderstandings and you're moving forward. For example the guy wants to repair what has been broken and move forward together.

Seven of Swords Not wanting to take accountability for wrong doings and trying to figure out a way to conquer someone or situation without being exposed as the bad guy or the one that messed up. For example a guy disappears on you but when he comes back, he tells this story about having family problems when the truth is he was actually dating someone else but it didn't work out so he went back to you.

Eight of Swords Choosing to stay mentally trapped in a situation in fear of moving in the wrong direction. For example the girl knows she needs to walk away from a toxic situation but she's choosing to stay because of the fear of the unknown.

Nine of Swords Exhaustion and anguish, trying to figure out how to turn a situation around that you don't want to give up on. For example a guy refusing to act but instead continues to stay in his thoughts which only continues to bring distress.

Ten of Swords A cowardly ending, you didn't see it coming. For example you're in a relationship and the guy disappears and you later find out he's with someone else.

I focused on relationships since that's what most are curious about.

jenster

I like your more positive bend on the suit of swords. I've always believed if you haven't learned how to deal with the more difficult cards then your not ready to read the cards. And your Ace? What do you think of that? I think sometimes we think of swords as just swords instead of SWORDS if you get what I mean. Swords are very dangerous weapons, for good and bad.

The Ace still isn't very clear to me which is why I didn't mention it. I always go with the standard interpretation because I haven't understood that card beyond that.

jenster

Ace of Swords The potential to clear obstacles and a new beginning with communications. For example if you haven't spoken to someone, they are open to hearing from you.

Page of Swords Coward, being on the defense with a my way or the highway attitude. For example I know you are right but I'm not going to acknowledge it therefor admit to being wrong.

Two of Swords Being indecisive about a decision. For example a guy knows he needs to tell the girl if he wants a relationship with her but he's taking his time with the decision.

Three of Swords Exactly the same description as OP; A reluctance brought on by the memory of heartbreak or for someone fearing heartbreak or for someone presuming heartbreak. For example the thought of heartbreak is too great to consider a relationship right now.

Four of Swords Resting, mentally checking out of the situation and no longer putting any thought into it for now.

Five of Swords The battle is over by default as someone either caved or walked away. For example the guy decided to get over his fear of heartbreak and start a relationship or the girl got tired of waiting for him to overcome his fear and walked away.

Six of Swords Forgiveness, no longer being held back by misunderstandings and you're moving forward. For example the guy wants to repair what has been broken and move forward together.

Seven of Swords Not wanting to take accountability for wrong doings and trying to figure out a way to conquer someone or situation without being exposed as the bad guy or the one that messed up. For example a guy disappears on you but when he comes back, he tells this story about having family problems when the truth is he was actually dating someone else but it didn't work out so he went back to you.

Eight of Swords Choosing to stay mentally trapped in a situation in fear of moving in the wrong direction. For example the girl knows she needs to walk away from a toxic situation but she's choosing to stay because of the fear of the unknown.

Nine of Swords Exhaustion and anguish, trying to figure out how to turn a situation around that you don't want to give up on. For example a guy refusing to act but instead continues to stay in his thoughts which only continues to bring distress.

Ten of Swords A cowardly ending, you didn't see it coming. For example you're in a relationship and the guy disappears and you later find out he's with someone else.

I focused on relationships since that's what most are curious about.

I focus more on relationships too..
Interesting about the Ten. I think I could have picked up that meaning too (though I didn't see it until now). It surely fits.The Seven too.

Laurelle

After a great many years I've come to feel great appreciation of this suit that I once feared.
The most honest and clear of them all.
I made a selection on the ones I'm most clear about.
I'd really appreciate it if I could hear your intuitions too.

Ace of Swords: Beginning of a writing a term paper, a great novel. The idea that a situation may cut both ways. This Ace is the one that swings both ways whether or not reversed, so you have to look for the surrounding cards.

Two of Swords: the card that tells me to let go, if it turns up for someone else. This person does not want to know, does not want to see. They are closed off and nothing will get them to open up to another view, to acknowledging something they don't want to.

This card goes well with the 4 of Cups. "No, no way. Stay away. I don't care. I am right. You are wrong..." etc.

Three of Swords: heartbreak, always, but not as I'd first thought regarding the people in question. It has almost exclusively come up for a reluctance brought on by the memory of heartbreak or for someone fearing heartbreak or for someone presuming heartbreak (i.e. believing the one they are interested in is in a relationship when in fact that person is not or is ending the relationship they're in).

This has also come up for physical death, usually some kind of heart attack or heart surgery.

Four of Swords: actual, literal, rest. It's a card for someone or a situation that has peacefully shut their eyes. There is no rupture, no abandonment.
The equivalent of turning off a machine to stop it from overheating.It will take the time it takes. What is being secured is continued functioning.

In a relationship reading it means taking a break, but not a break up.

It can also come up for out of body experiences and astral projection.

I like your metaphor about unplugging the machine. That's really clever!

Six of Swords: Again, peace. I've had this come up a *lot* for situations where a situation has grown very tense, perhaps people said/did things that were too harsh. It's a moment of understanding. Forgiving enough (yourself, others or both) to move on. It's a card that to me reflects the inner psychology of a person rather than actions.

It can also simply mean travel.

Seven of Swords: Not as malicious as I'd first thought. It seems to come up for finding a "clever" way around obstacles/problems. In my experience it doesn't imply deceit. I.e. someone is lying to you and denies the truth when confronted; you leave without further explanation. It's not open but it's also an adequate response to someone being insincere. It can also come up for happy occasions such as the going behind someone's back to plan a surprise for them.

I've definitely had it come up for someone who was deceitful and a thief. On a positive note, if you are asking for advice, the card advises you to be cunning and clever. It can also denote someone who works alone or who leaves the group to branch out on their own, which will ultimately make them stronger. It can also denote someone who doesn't want to be in a relationship.

Nine of Swords: a beautiful, beautiful card. The person is *aware* of reality. The feelings are terrible and anguishing but there is also sobriety. It's the first step, health will be recuperated, the worse is over (it might take a while but it's definitely started).

This can mean nightmares, night terrors or just insomnia.

Ten of Swords: a highly dramatic ending/falling out that however is the equivalent of a barking dog (it won't bite). Not that it's not hurtful but it's also very theatrical.

This could be "beating a dead horse". Where you just talk to death a situation that has no solution.

Page of Swords: fight-picking inclination. Usually in an immature way. Someone hell-bent on trying to prove a point or intellectual superiority. The arguments are cutting, the logic is sound, but there is something with the motivations of it that just doesn't match the intensity of the arguing. Exactly as a child would there is hidden spite or hurt feelings behind it. (slight similarity with 5 of wands; very slight).

I've had this come up for very clever children. One of my daughters friend is a very Page of Swords. Legos, rubics cubes, problem solving, mathematical. They are usually more mature than most of the other kids due to their intellectual abilities. Now, if this comes up for a teenager or someone in their 20s, becareful. They are usually plotting some dumb, mental game that know one but them has time for.

Edit to add:
Eight of Swords: feeling like you've painted yourself in a corner. You believe reality to be a certain way and this way invites you to non-action, but won't/can't take off the blindfold to check what the reality actually is.
In the aftermath of a falling out this could be "deciding" you have said too much/caused too much damage, things can't be fixed. So you stay there.
Actually the Eight of Swords has been revealing itself to me only lately so any help here is welcome. As well as with all the other Swords.

8 of Swords is that card where you feel so trapped, but you can get out of it. It can represent real anxiety too. You may even need medical advice like a pill for panic attacks. It's a situation that you can get out of but you can't or you refuse to see the solution. It can also come up for someone being censored. It can also represent a woman who the other women scapegoat and she sees no way out and so she censors her own self. Perhaps just crying to herself or creating anxiety that doesn't need to be there.

Barleywine

What the tarot world needs is a "how-to" manual for dealing with the Swords; call it "Dr. Strangeblade, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Sword." })

Seriously, though, it's a mountain that every tarot practitioner must climb sooner or later. Ultimately, I think it comes down to seeing them as neither entirely good nor bad, just "necessary" within the context of the situation. They're all instructive if received in the proper spirit. I can offer a few brief observations from my long experience with the Thoth deck (while also having a little fun with it).

Ace of Swords: An original idea that needs to be fleshed out with more detail before being put into action. Otherwise it is just so much idle speculation. The first part of the business adage "Plan the work . . ."

Two of Swords: A need to discriminate between available choices and pick one as the most logical agenda to pursue. The second part of the business adage ". . . then work the plan."

Three of Swords: A learning experience; growth (perhaps only of "character") through adversity; possibly anguish or remorse due to having made the wrong choice; a need to retrench in order to move forward.

Four of Swords: Setting boundaries and keeping adversaries at "arm's length;" a mental pause to regroup.

Five of Swords: Anxiety over being moved out of your mental "comfort zone," usually before you think you're ready; perhaps having your hand forced by external considerations.

Six of Swords: Mental balance; feeling of being in control of your destiny (at least for a short time).

Seven of Swords: Conflict between unequal forces, resulting in one having to give ground. Perhaps trying to "finesse" a situation, with mixed results; embarking on a "fool's errand."

Eight of Swords: Mental fatigue due to overload; the need for a vacation from controversy; there's no going back, only forward.

(This card always makes me think of the classic team-building exercise where you're blindfolded and led into a room full of set mouse traps. Your team-mates have to guide your every step across the room with verbal instructions so you avoid setting off the traps. I don't think you had to go barefoot.)

Nine of Swords: A passive-aggressive attitude in dealing with adversity; perhaps having too many "irons in the fire" to cope, inviting "nervous breakdown."

Ten of Swords: The need to cut your losses and move on (before you're well and truly "skewered"); being "fresh out of ideas," having "shot the last bolt."

The Swords court is a notoriously contrary place; to avoid being irritated by it, I tend not to take it too seriously.

Page of Swords: A "know-it-all; a "smart-ass;" something that seemed to be a "good idea at the time" but turned out to be a hare-brained scheme; "not playing with a full deck;" could be the messenger we're advised not to shoot (but we would surely like to).

Knight of Sword: A precipitous type who would benefit greatly from the "Carpenter's First Rule:" "Measure twice, cut once." A "do-er" with only an approximate idea of what needs to be done; reflection and self-criticism are foreign territory.

Queen of Swords: A nit-picker who nags at every petty detail the King of Swords so studiously neglects. The keeper of the "mental dust-bin" of every "half-baked" idea the Page and Knight ever had; a self-appointed make-over artist (aka your mother).

King of Swords: An expert at the "40,000-foot overview" with no appetite or real aptitude for micro-management (although often up to his eyeballs in it due to the Knight of Swords' slap-dash mismanagement). The Queen of Swords' "life's work" or perennial "work in progress."

tarot_quest

Page of Swords: A "know-it-all; a "smart-ass;" something that seemed to be a "good idea at the time" but turned out to be a hare-brained scheme; "not playing with a full deck;" could be the messenger we're advised not to shoot (but we would surely like to).

That's interesting because just like you, I often see this page of swords as a bit immature and quick to reply. He has a lot of fresh and interesting ideas but some difficulty to channel them.

I got an online reading from a professional tarot reader recently and before ordering it, I asked which type of reader she was and got this card.

Then I got he reading and she was great! She writes well and she is accurate. This changed my perception of this page of swords. I wonder why I did not get the king (or queen) of swords regarding her reading skills, so getting this page make me understand that this card can also reflect a wise and well spoken person. Since she was using humor and she was friendly, it might be the reason explaining why I got the page of swords.

So no, we don't always want to slap him ;)

Marsy

What the tarot world needs is a "how-to" manual for dealing with the Swords; call it "Dr. Strangeblade, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Sword." })

Seriously, though, it's a mountain that every tarot practitioner must climb sooner or later. Ultimately, I think it comes down to seeing them as neither entirely good nor bad, just "necessary" within the context of the situation. They're all instructive if received in the proper spirit. I can offer a few brief observations from my long experience with the Thoth deck (while also having a little fun with it).

Ace of Swords: An original idea that needs to be fleshed out with more detail before being put into action. Otherwise it is just so much idle speculation. The first part of the business adage "Plan the work . . ."

Two of Swords: A need to discriminate between available choices and pick one as the most logical agenda to pursue. The second part of the business adage ". . . then work the plan."

Three of Swords: A learning experience; growth (perhaps only of "character") through adversity; possibly anguish or remorse due to having made the wrong choice; a need to retrench in order to move forward.

Four of Swords: Setting boundaries and keeping adversaries at "arm's length;" a mental pause to regroup.

Five of Swords: Anxiety over being moved out of your mental "comfort zone," usually before you think you're ready; perhaps having your hand forced by external considerations.

Six of Swords: Mental balance; feeling of being in control of your destiny (at least for a short time).

Seven of Swords: Conflict between unequal forces, resulting in one having to give ground. Perhaps trying to "finesse" a situation, with mixed results; embarking on a "fool's errand."

Eight of Swords: Mental fatigue due to overload; the need for a vacation from controversy; there's no going back, only forward.

(This card always makes me think of the classic team-building exercise where you're blindfolded and led into a room full of set mouse traps. Your team-mates have to guide your every step across the room with verbal instructions so you avoid setting off the traps. I don't think you had to go barefoot.)

Nine of Swords: A passive-aggressive attitude in dealing with adversity; perhaps having too many "irons in the fire" to cope, inviting "nervous breakdown."

Ten of Swords: The need to cut your losses and move on (before you're well and truly "skewered"); being "fresh out of ideas," having "shot the last bolt."

The Swords court is a notoriously contrary place; to avoid being irritated by it, I tend not to take it too seriously.

Knight of Sword: A precipitous type who would benefit greatly from the "Carpenter's First Rule:" "Measure twice, cut once." A "do-er" with only an approximate idea of what needs to be done; reflection and self-criticism are foreign territory.

Queen of Swords: A nit-picker who nags at every petty detail the King of Swords so studiously neglects. The keeper of the "mental dust-bin" of every "half-baked" idea the Page and Knight ever had; a self-appointed make-over artist (aka your mother).

King of Swords: An expert at the "40,000-foot overview" with no appetite or real aptitude for micro-management (although often up to his eyeballs in it due to the Knight of Swords' slap-dash mismanagement). The Queen of Swords' "life's work" or perennial "work in progress."

I too view the Queen of Swords as someone's mother. A person was having difficultly and I did the reading and the QoS came up and it was true the person was at odds with their mother.

That's interesting because just like you, I often see this page of swords as a bit immature and quick to reply. He has a lot of fresh and interesting ideas but some difficulty to channel them.

I got an online reading from a professional tarot reader recently and before ordering it, I asked which type of reader she was and got this card.

Then I got he reading and she was great! She writes well and she is accurate. This changed my perception of this page of swords. I wonder why I did not get the king (or queen) of swords regarding her reading skills, so getting this page make me understand that this card can also reflect a wise and well spoken person. Since she was using humor and she was friendly, it might be the reason explaining why I got the page of swords.

So no, we don't always want to slap him ;)

Or it could be that you're interacting with a person on-line as the PoS represents digital/computer and since you don't know the reader very well, the communication would be page as in you not having any experience with her.

Farzon

I just recently recognized that even some of the most experienced readers see this suit as troublesome. Just adding a few thoughts on some of the cards:

Ace of Swords:
One idea. Being clear on communication and intentions. Having one definite idea and sticking to it. Seeing the truth.

Two of Swords:
A balance of terror. Peace but due tothe same strength of opposing ideas. Increasing sense of individualism in a relationship. A parting of the ways.

Three of a Swords:
Thoughts over feelings, heartache and sorrow as a result of disillusion. A painful truth accepted. Self-pity and enjoying the drama of being done wrong, dwelling in self-induced sorrow.