Temperance & 6 of Wands

Flames

I drew five cards last night using Tarot of the Hidden Realm to answer the question - can you give me advice on this situation? (What 'should' I do or what would be in my best interest?) and then this morning, using Rider-Waite, again in a five card spread, I asked, what can I expect from going to a certain place? I feel that the answer connects both of these readings.

Both Temperance and 6 of Wands were drawn. In last night's reading, 6 of Wands came first followed by Temperance. In the second reading, Temperance was drawn first followed by the 6 of Wands. So I'd like to understand these two cards together. Of course I understand the other cards would help to shed light on the entire reading but am really only concerned about these two cards.

Advice? - 6W/T -- In tarot of the HR, the 6 of Wands shows a figure of a woman lying down. Her hair is fiery red and she seems free and at peace looking up towards the sky, like she can finally lie down in glory. And then next to her is Temperance, another figure of a woman kneeling down pouring water from one cup into the other. I know they're both fiery cards but Temperance has quite a cooling effect here and the 6W's demeanour gives off a warm and earthy feeling. Combined, I think they're doing something right! So maybe they're saying - while you feel you've accomplished something, there's still work to be done, there's still something you need to refine??

What can I expect? - T/6W -- Using RW, I see Temperance as a card of connection, a melding of elements in order to create something completely new. And then with the 6 of Wands, I feel that the figure was successful with his attempts at blending. Basically, he did it! He created something different.

What do you see? Thanks!

Mittkait

Temperance is the card of Alchemy. It is the blending of Psychological and Emotional powers but not letting either become dominant.

6 of Wands then Temperance reads to me as a bit of a warning. The seeker likes to win at all costs, to the point where it causes emotional and psychological imbalance.

Temperance than 6 of Wands is an internal victory. Blending the powers and gaining wisdom and/or maturity which leads to victory (a better way of life).

Flames

Temperance is the card of Alchemy. It is the blending of Psychological and Emotional powers but not letting either become dominant.

6 of Wands then Temperance reads to me as a bit of a warning. The seeker likes to win at all costs, to the point where it causes emotional and psychological imbalance.

Temperance than 6 of Wands is an internal victory. Blending the powers and gaining wisdom and/or maturity which leads to victory (a better way of life).

Thanks so much for the reply, Mittkait. I appreciate your first point very much - the blending of Psychological and Emotional powers but not letting either become dominant. That strongly resonates. Yes, there is something about the order of the cards in the first reading. That's why I felt that something still needed to be refined, that something was still 'unfinished'. Your point about wanting to win at all costs is interesting here. I can see how that might be a hidden influence, not a totally conscious thing. I feel particularly good about the second reading. There seems to be a flow there once the inner work is done which leads to a good outcome. Thanks, again!

Barleywine

I'll try to give this more of a practical spin than a psychological one, after I address the symbolic relationships.

There's a double dose of Jupiter here: Temperance has been associated with Jupiter-ruled Sagittarius, and the 6 of Wands with Jupiter in Leo ("Victory"). No matter which way you slice this, it looks like expansive growth potential. As you realized, Sagittarius is the "coolest" and most subtle of the Fire signs; due to the breadth of its expression, the focused intensity of Fire is more disseminated and multifaceted. I think this quote about Sagittarius from Avelar and Ribeiro's traditional astrology book, On the Heavenly Spheres, is a perfect reflection of the function of Jupiter in both of these cards: "The nature of Jupiter, the ruler, adds a sense of justice and temperance, which somewhat stabilizes the combination." About the action of Jupiter in Leo in the 6 of Wands, Crowley says "It is self-supporting, like the Sun."

As someone here at AT said emphatically: "Temperance is not about moderation." I've come down to the idea, in my own words, that it represents "the fine Art of Right Action (neither too much force nor too little) when a discriminating finesse is called for." It's not so much compromise as alignment of one's energies to the highest purpose. For its part in the picture, Leo is a "fixed" sign; fixed signs are where "the rubber meets the road" in terms of the most practical expression of an elemental energy. It would channel Jupiter's idealism into more immediately useful ends.

One final philosophical wrinkle: it's instructive to look at Temperance's "opposite number," the Gemini-ruled Lovers (also an expression of the number Six). One rather rarified alchemical idea about Temperance is that it shows the "consummation" of the marriage of opposites depicted in the Lovers. I see it as a previous "choice" being "tempered" or "proof-tested" by the application of a broader set of moral considerations; what was at first merely a "logical deduction" becomes "rationally enlightened." Regarding the "sixness" of the 6 of Wands, Six is a perfectly balanced number, so an infusion of Jupiter would expand it evenly in all directions, like a hot-air balloon. So I see a good deal of positive "lift" coming out of the combination of these two cards. Crowley again, on the 6 of Wands: the interaction "seems to imply a benediction on the harmony and beauty of this arrangement."

So, as promised: 6 of Wands before Temperance suggests that abundant creative inspiration is on tap to expand your personal horizons - both inner and outer, while Temperance before 6 of Wands implies that any creative impulses will be harnessed to a finely-tuned grasp of ethical consequences. (By "creative" I don't mean "artistic," but rather "transformative.")

gustavobernardes

I see that this place can bring you recognition and make you feel worthy to be in it. temperance turn behind the need you accept the success that will show you, is a good stage to trust you and eno their work and be attentive to situations not remain in the comfort zone.

Neely 222

For some reason, I immediately flashed on an integrated approach (emotional, psychological, intuitive, logical, tangible, concrete) leading to a successful outcome.

Flames

I'll try to give this more of a practical spin than a psychological one, after I address the symbolic relationships.

There's a double dose of Jupiter here: Temperance has been associated with Jupiter-ruled Sagittarius, and the 6 of Wands with Jupiter in Leo ("Victory"). No matter which way you slice this, it looks like expansive growth potential. As you realized, Sagittarius is the "coolest" and most subtle of the Fire signs; due to the breadth of its expression, the focused intensity of Fire is more disseminated and multifaceted. I think this quote about Sagittarius from Avelar and Ribeiro's traditional astrology book, On the Heavenly Spheres, is a perfect reflection of the function of Jupiter in both of these cards: "The nature of Jupiter, the ruler, adds a sense of justice and temperance, which somewhat stabilizes the combination." About the action of Jupiter in Leo in the 6 of Wands, Crowley says "It is self-supporting, like the Sun."

As someone here at AT said emphatically: "Temperance is not about moderation." I've come down to the idea, in my own words, that it represents "the fine Art of Right Action (neither too much force nor too little) when a discriminating finesse is called for." It's not so much compromise as alignment of one's energies to the highest purpose. For its part in the picture, Leo is a "fixed" sign; fixed signs are where "the rubber meets the road" in terms of the most practical expression of an elemental energy. It would channel Jupiter's idealism into more immediately useful ends.

One final philosophical wrinkle: it's instructive to look at Temperance's "opposite number," the Gemini-ruled Lovers (also an expression of the number Six). One rather rarified alchemical idea about Temperance is that it shows the "consummation" of the marriage of opposites depicted in the Lovers. I see it as a previous "choice" being "tempered" or "proof-tested" by the application of a broader set of moral considerations; what was at first merely a "logical deduction" becomes "rationally enlightened." Regarding the "sixness" of the 6 of Wands, Six is a perfectly balanced number, so an infusion of Jupiter would expand it evenly in all directions, like a hot-air balloon. So I see a good deal of positive "lift" coming out of the combination of these two cards. Crowley again, on the 6 of Wands: the interaction "seems to imply a benediction on the harmony and beauty of this arrangement."

So, as promised: 6 of Wands before Temperance suggests that abundant creative inspiration is on tap to expand your personal horizons - both inner and outer, while Temperance before 6 of Wands implies that any creative impulses will be harnessed to a finely-tuned grasp of ethical consequences. (By "creative" I don't mean "artistic," but rather "transformative.")

This is fascinating, Barleywine! Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. Okay, well, something happened while I was at that 'place' I was referring to in my second question. While I was there, I had an understanding, kind of like a 'eureka' moment - but it was 'felt' and deeply sensed. I left feeling uplifted. I'm the type who wants the answers and wants them right away, especially when I'm emotionally attached to a situation that I feel isn't good for me. I want to understand it so that I can either move towards it, work with it - if that's what I need to do - or walk away and be done with it, if that's required. It's very black and white to me and of course, that isn't realistic as I need to consider the grey areas. A particular situation in my life keeps repeating itself and while on the one hand, I can understand it, intellectually, there's the other part, that wants it to be over and done with - but it's this "over and done with" that I'm having a hard time reconciling because I see that I don't know HOW - to let go? I'm not even sure if that's the question. But I see that it's a process I'm resisting. I go over in my mind what things might be like if I moved to the left and then I do the same if I decide to move to the right, which can feel tiring and unproductive, especially if it's all just imagination and nothing more! I am a Gemini so I don't know if this process has anything to do with that. :)

I asked the Tarot what I could expect because deep down, I didn't want to go. I didn't want to face any 'potential' disappointment - again. But because I have this strong yearning to overcome, I said to myself - I'm not staying away for that reason. Whatever transpires, I'll be alright! Which I guess says something about Temperance, right? That it most definitely is NOT about moderation. So I think while I was sitting there, I saw both Temperance and 6 of Wands flash before my eyes and I saw I was going to be okay - no big deal. I can't avoid situations out of fear that I won't be able to handle them. I believe this is what these cards were trying to show me. It felt liberating and freeing. I like very much what you say here about "the fine Art of Right action" and "expansive growth potential." I know this is going to sound odd - but this is exactly what this "liberating" feeling felt like. Suddenly, I didn't feel restrictive, constrictive, or 'yangy'. I felt open, 'bigger' and 'wider' and so much more relaxed. I suppose in a nutshell, the experience today did feel "transformative". Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I really need to give my Thoth deck another go... :)

Flames

I see that this place can bring you recognition and make you feel worthy to be in it. temperance turn behind the need you accept the success that will show you, is a good stage to trust you and eno their work and be attentive to situations not remain in the comfort zone.

Yes, there was a need to move out of my comfort zone and because of that, I felt I was being rewarded. It was a good feeling. I'm still buzzing from it. I feel like I saw something I wouldn't have seen if I didn't push through it. Thank you!!

Flames

For some reason, I immediately flashed on an integrated approach (emotional, psychological, intuitive, logical, tangible, concrete) leading to a successful outcome.

Yes, there was a definite sense of integration taking place. It was as if in that moment, I took a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and when I combined them, I discovered something new and magical. That alone, to me, was a true gift, but I felt that I needed to take that first step (or to trust in it) and by taking that first step, it required a certain kind of understanding. And for that, too, I'm pretty happy.