Borderless Rider Waite Smith, help!

baconwaffles

Hello, I have been searching and searching to a question about the RWS deck. I have seen pictures around the internet with these cards without borders, but when I try to find them for purchase I can't find anything, not even videos on YouTube on this. An example is the first picture on this post https://benebellwen.com/2016/02/17/my-free-randomized-divinations/. Another is this one https://www.instagram.com/p/BB3AlJbKZEV/. Could someone help me solve this question? Are the borders removed by the person or is it purchased like this? Thank you.

Mittkait

The borderless RWS on Wen's page were created by her alone. Send her an inquiry email, if she still has them on her upload site, she may be able to send you a link.

AJ

many of us trim off borders ourselves.

rwcarter

many of us trim off borders ourselves.
With the USG versions of the Rider Waite, the images aren't all the same size, so a trimmed deck won't be a consistent size.

gregory

With the USG versions of the Rider Waite, the images aren't all the same size, so a trimmed deck won't be a consistent size.
I didn't know that but a headsup for others - this also applies to the white box Thoths.

But
The borderless RWS on Wen's page were created by her alone. Send her an inquiry email, if she still has them on her upload site, she may be able to send you a link.
- I would have thought this would be breach of copyright. If SHE has trimmed her own in some way - that's one thing - but distributing it is something else.

ETA - just looked at that instagram link and the comments say:

qndynes Did you remove the edges from the deck or did they come like this? This is the centennial edition right?

sevencardspread@qndynes yes, it's the centennial edition and I took the borders off. The copyright on a stark white edge was so out of place. I've been thinking of staining the edges tho, as I didn't do a perfect job of cutting.

Mittkait

But - I would have thought this would be breach of copyright. If SHE has trimmed her own in some way - that's one thing - but distributing it is something else.

In the United States, the images of the Rider Waite deck are in public domain (Europe in 2027). What is still in copyright are the versions published by US Games Systems. So far there hasn't been a case of USG prosecuting various private card creators using images from the deck or creating derivations. If they do attempt it and are successful, well...there goes all those private Kickstarter decks.

JuniperPress

Not exactly the same, but the golden universal is similar in style and doesn't have any words at all, not even on the trumps. I trimmed mine as well. If you're looking for a deck with no words at all, this might suit your needs.

http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/tWyDTWQ4/file.html

baconwaffles

Thank you everyone for the help. I was just going crazy racking my brains and not knowing for certain if it was done by the owner or sold this way.

gregory

In the United States, the images of the Rider Waite deck are in public domain (Europe in 2027). What is still in copyright are the versions published by US Games Systems. So far there hasn't been a case of USG prosecuting various private card creators using images from the deck or creating derivations. If they do attempt it and are successful, well...there goes all those private Kickstarter decks.
Don't count on that. Kaplan posted not long ago that it is still under their copyright. ALL images - unless you scanned your very own Pam A.

Mittkait

Don't count on that. Kaplan posted not long ago that it is still under their copyright. ALL images - unless you scanned your very own Pam A.

The 1909 original images are all over the internet even on Wiki.

Now if you were a commercial company, looking to publish a commercial deck...then I can certainly see US Games sending a cease and desist. But all the single tarot users in the United States creating derivative images and private decks of their own based on the 1909 images, I haven't seen them prosecuted as of yet. And if USG is as gung ho as stories claim, I'm quite surprised they haven't pulled the trigger on the Kickstarter, Go Fund Me and Indiegogo tarot creators yet.