Tarot of the Holy Light, 2nd ed.

JylliM

Mine is linen (not smirking at all over here). I've only had it a few days (bought from another ATer). It's the 2011 edition and the cardstock is delicious.

mydearruby

Can anyone comment on how this deck actually reads? I understand its peculiar system has been somewhat controversial.

Myrrha

Can anyone comment on how this deck actually reads? I understand its peculiar system has been somewhat controversial.

I would also love to hear what The Tarot of the Holy Light is like to read with. I wonder if it is like the Voyager Tarot where you pay more attention to whichever of the many symbols on the card catches your attention first.

Do you mostly find a lot of wisdom in the set meanings for the symbols or the card and not go too much beyond them? (This is what happens for me with esoteric decks because there IS so much content behind the set interpretations it seems a shame to ignore it.)

What kind of readings are people using this deck for? Is it the kind where it always feels like an experiment or exploration in progress so it is fascinating but not one you choose when you really need a reading? (I actually love that Kind of deck)

Have you learned anything about yourself or other people using the deck or have you just learned a lot about the esoteric system?

eolian

I own the deck but i have not used it for a reading yet. I watched a review video by Tarot Oracle on youtube and i borrowed the book from amazon and i bought the deck about 3 months ago so i guess i got one of the last of the 1st editions.

I have about 6 decks i have been working with but i plan on using it at some point in the future. Lately my wife wants me to use a basic RWS deck so she can follow along when i read for friends and guests. So instead of using the Holy Light deck i grab a easy to read style deck.

Nemia

I'm not usually negative and I really hope others who love the deck and are able to work with it will speak up. But I bought the deck with high hopes, read what I could about it, waited for the book to come out, tried to read it when it came out... and swapped the deck a month ago. I could not read with it. It simply clammed up and didn't answer any questions. Even the new deck interview was a desaster. I tried. I love the idea, love the original alchemical prints, but the whole system seemed to me very convoluted, complicated... but it didn't make overwhelming sense.

I could have tried harder but then I felt, there are so many decks which are easier to get into for me. And I just gave up. Maybe I will regret it. But I really didn't like the apodictic tone of the book, and the cards were too full of symbols, I don't know what it was... I couldn't read with them. And there are not many decks in my collection that remained completely opaque when I tried to read with them.

mrpants

Sorry so long in replying here,

I have the first edition, and was wondering if the second edition was worth picking up as an alternative, or if it was different in any way. I'm pretty sure I read, in an interview with the creator, that Christine had intended to include a dove on the Temperance card, but the printer received an early file of the card, which didn't have the dove. I have no idea where that interview is, but I'm Pretty sure I didn't dream it. But, I may have.. So! I was really, really hoping they had updated the card for the second edition. I'm sort-of bummed/confused as to why the team would not have updated this, but what can you do?

Also, I have the iPhone app for this deck, which has been really fun to work with! If you don't have this deck, and are curious about it, it's only $5 and a great package, because it comes with (most of?) the companion book which is sold separately. And for a deck like this, its extremely helpful and part of the fun I think. I have attached a couple screen caps of the sections regarding the missing bird. (I thought VioletEye may have been correct in assuming that the dove wings on the angel was what the text was referring to, but in reviewing the text, it really does sound like there should be a dove in there.)

I originally started this post because I was on the fence about ordering this print, and then on my way out of the house today, I found it waiting on my doorstep. I ordered it anyway, and completely forgot! #tarotproblems

I'll say this about the second edition:

-Agree with Anise on cardstock. It's nice, but the first edition is better. (btw, are folks calling the first edition linen? I'm not sure it's actually linen, but it's AMAZING.)
-The slightly smaller size is neat, but I like this deck BIG.
-The new box artwork is WAY better than the first. I'll never understand the first. Total disconnect with the deck itself.
-New card backs are kinda silly to me, and also not 'reversible' (not a problem to me, just a heads-up). Oh, I just noticed the eyes!! Cool, but I still like the first's backs more.

I will likely pass this edition on, as I do have the first. It's a very worthy deck for folks on the esoteric tip, and lovers of art decks as well. Thanks to everyone for your input! This community is my absolute favorite for tarot support!

rylla

I have only the first edition but my impression is that the artwork matches better with the linen cardstock (well, maybe it's not really linen but it looks/feel like it). I'd never exchange it for a copy of any other cardstock.

magicjack

The linen cardstock is back now.