two Lenormand books in English found at Amazon........

tinkerbell

Hi Lenormand Lovers,
I find I'm impressed by how many of you read with these intuitively!
However, if you're after a book on the subject, I've just put these in my Wishlist over at Amazon...........

1,The Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle by Slvie Steinbach

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Len...UTF8&coliid=I1UR1I6527F5EZ&colid=QL9GOSDLE0XY

2,The Game of Destiny by Mario dos Ventos

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GAME-DESTIN...UTF8&coliid=I1UKU0PKX8CDSL&colid=QL9GOSDLE0XY

I haven't read either yet, but if you any of you have and would like to share your thoughts, That'd be great!

Happy card shuffling,
Tinkerbell xxx

Gavriela

The Game of Destiny isn't worth your money. It mostly has some lists of not-so-great combos, and a plug for his e-mail correspondence course that costs something like €450. You'd do much better with a subscription to waldfee.net at €5.90 a month.

Haven't read the other one, so no comment.

Astraea

Hi Tinkerbell,

I ordered both of them and only one has arrived (The Game of Destiny). It came yesterday and I haven't had a chance to start reading it in earnest, but I can tell you that it's primarily a tabulation of card combinations, along with information about serving the client's -- and one's own -- needs. It's written from the perspective of a practitioner of a Brazilian spiritual tradition called Quimbanda, but apart from some rituals described in the book, the card combination interpretations appear to be based on standard Lenormand meanings. Since the key to Lenormand readings is skillful combination, the tabulations are very useful and the author includes appendices with information relative to themes like work, love, spiritual matters and timing.

The Steinbach book should arrive on Monday -- I'll write a bit about it after I've had a look.

Astraea

Gavriela said:
The Game of Destiny isn't worth your money. It mostly has some lists of not-so-great combos, and a plug for his e-mail correspondence course that costs something like €450. You'd do much better with a subscription to waldfee.net at €5.90 a month.
I would love to do that but I don't think they have an English version, do they?

Gavriela

No, but they have online translators now - and those are free :)

It's one extra step, but I'm really not enamoured of the dos Ventos book - especially when he goes off into vague-land with combos meaning: 'It will happen soon'.

What's 'it'?

Some of the combos are standard, and if you've worked with Lenormand you've already heard them - if not do a search in this forum cos the info is there. I'm just not that impressed by the book. Your mileage may vary, of course. He also says that his book can only be used with the Piatnik - that isn't true. You'd only have to switch the Clouds with most other decks, and the interps will work just as well.

But then, that people are writing Lenormand books in English at all can be taken as a good sign, I guess. That one just seems awfully pricey for not very much information - to me.

Astraea

Thanks for the tip about the translators, I'll look into that.

I agree with you about the combos, the Ventos meanings are indeed standard. What I was pleased to see, though, was that Ventos' spiritual convictions appeared not to have influenced his combo interpretations. And yes, all one has to do to use the Piatnik cards with the book is to reverse a couple of card directions.

Not having read the book from cover-to-cover, my main objection so far is its price -- as you say, Gavriela, it's a large amount of money for information that is available elsewhere. But there are so few English books on the Lenormand, I guess my gratitude for anything between two covers trumps even that!

MareSaturni

Here in Brazil Lenormand books aren't that hard to find...i've seen a couple of them for sale, thought i do not know whether they are good or not.
The Petit Jeu Lenormand is a very popular deck here - even more than tarot - and is very commonly used by people who practice Umbanda (Quimbanda being a subset of Umbanda). Here it's called 'Baralho Cigano' ('Gypsy Deck').

So i'd understand if some people didn't like Ventos' book =/. Maybe it's has been written for 'local' necessities, for people with some Lenormand knowledge...i'm not sure...
I haven't read it so i cannot tell.

Sylvie Steinbach

I would like to bring you more information on the book I wrote.

Hi everyone,
I thought I would help this chat on the Lenormand deck by providing some insights on the book I have just released "The Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle".
I am a French native who have been living in LA since 1993. I started to read people using the little Lenormand by the age of 13. A popular deck in my family of psychics, I was surprised once in the U.S. to find nothing on the deck and its features. Before the creation of Amazon.com it was hard to find books in Europe on the subject. You had to really dig the obscure bookstores -the Harry Potter style- to find one book!
Internet distribution did help a lot in the popularity of the Lenormand deck and the extensive literature in French and German is quite impressive. Still it is impossible for anyone who only speaks English to do any continuous education because of the lack of books.
I decided I would write a manual for anyone interested in doing psychic readings in a way that is different from the old traditional lay outs and with nowadays meanings. I have been reading a lot of people in my 30 years career and I know what these 36 cards can do if you know "how to" use them.
There is so much you can pass onto a book, workshops are better suited to go into the fine prints but I attempted to give a good starter even if I would not be able to reveal everything. I decided to include information on karmic relationships, geographic pointers, business cycles and personal life evaluation. Some are trade secrets, some tips are based on my experience.
I have made some updating on traditional meanings that will probably bother some people but the old say was not working to do accurate readings. An example I gave to a person who contacted me about the book and who is also a professional psychic and Lenormand devotee: traditionally the lily is the sexual card. In my book it is the whip because of his association with the phallus -the whip is a sexual toy for some individuals. So in extension it is the sexual chemistry between two people, the initial physical attraction.
When you try to assess someone's mind in love issues the cards have to be extremely precise to evaluate accurately how someone loves. Is it only physical? or is it a crush? or true and selfless love? Clients want to know things like these.
Without knowing how to answer these requests the Lenormand cards are kept within a limited range and their true potential is missed. The book gives you the ABC for such readings. I want to offer workshops to answer specifics: a reader asked me how to use the cards to deal with Gay lifestyle for example -I haven't address this topic in my book. I also want to guide students to go beyond the manual. My sincere hope is that I have done a good job in providing a solid and clear 'how to' book for any Lenormand adept -beginner or not. Only you, readers will be able to tell me if I was successful in my efforts. The Aeclectic forum gives me the opportunity to introduce myself to you and to receive your feedback. Thank you for reading. Warm regards. Sylvie Steinbach

Astraea

Hi Sylvie, I am delighted to see you on the forum! Thank you for this post. Your book should arrive at my house today or tomorrow from Amazon and I'm so eager to read it. Your description of what is within the covers sounds fascinating.