Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

New edition of The Tarot of Prague for 2016!

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

FaintlyMacabre 
Citizen

I thought I read something about them taking a break from tarot? I have trying to remember what/when/if I saw it or not.

I was rather thinking that some of them are getting rather like anniversaries - you know, paper, tin, silver, pewter(?), silver, gold . I think I'm on brass - where your rings turn green.

Diana
Top   #51
Citizen

Gulliver 
Citizen

Regarding the prices:

Even 20$ for a deck of cards is way too much (at least for the big houses and not self publishers), but you pay it year for year...and so the prices get higher and higher. The last catalogue I saw, there have been prices of 26$ already.

A little arithmetic: Do you are an owner of at least 4 tarot decks you could sell them to buy one Alice Tarot deck (preorder price has been 68€). It's only a question of what has preference for you. It's not understandable for me how persons with 100 decks in their posession can complain.

I'm absolutely unhappy with high prices, it is very hard for us to pay them. We have to do without presents for birthday and Christmas (but this then are the presents). BUT I do absoletely understand Baba - so much people seem to abuse them as income source, funnily at least one person who does this regularly is complaining here. And Karen and Alex are real artists comparable to lot of other producers. I'm glad that they will get the most of the money themselves now.

Just as not understandable to compare the "high" prices of the Baba decks with the "low" price of the Daniloff Tarot. I remember the first edition of the Daniloff cost ca. 80€, the Alice preorder price has been 68€. It seems the fate of great artists to get the most counter-fire. History tells this. (what not means, Daniloff isn't a real artist, please do not misunderstand)
Top   #52
Citizen

FLizarraga 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpaceDiva View Post
I don't disagree, but I will just point out that this a special edition of what was once a readily available, reasonably priced, mass market deck. Also someone mentioned that this reissue is probably being done so that participants in the Prague tour will have access to a copy.
Those are really good points, at least in regard to the Praga reissue.

What worries me is that the Alice marked a shift to exclusively making pricey limited editions, instead of offering a wider price scale as before: a moderately priced regular edition for the hoi polo, and pricier metallic and mini editions for the well-heeled (and those among the hoi polloi who are willing to tighten their belts ).

Quote:
I could also be wrong here, but I honestly think they are losing interest too. I get the feeling they want to move in other directions creatively. And if they never make another new tarot deck, I can't really say that I'll be disappointed.
I would be. Very, very much. I love their Tarots. Even their metallic editions of non-metallic decks are not simply beautifully ornamented with gold or silver ink, but instead those highlights add an additional layer of meaning. They are true Tarot artists, not mere illustrators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintlyMacabre View Post
I was rather thinking that some of them are getting rather like anniversaries - you know, paper, tin, silver, pewter(?), silver, gold . I think I'm on brass - where your rings turn green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorphee View Post
Maybe it's because I live In Europe but ordering from USA or Canada is a nightmare and makes Baba Studio not as bad. For instance : 50 $ of shipping cost from Gamecrafter (and surely 30 $ of customs charges...) Ok, they are the worst but it's probably 20 $ shipping cost in general.

With Baba Studio I can buy a 50 € deck with one or two beautiful bags and I don't have to pay for the shipping cost if I am under 100 euros. Youpieee...I don't order their 450 € decks because I still have to pay a rent at the end of the month.

You can wait for the second quality deck as I did for the Victorian Romantic Tarot (32 €)... it was that or the 100 € and something russian version. When you are not rich you have to be more patient or have good luck.
For me, that's what the old Baba stands for. Even their shipping charges for the US are very reasonable. They offered seconds or boxless decks for really good prices; the last of the 3rd edition of the Baroque Bohemian Cats went for less than $27 a deck. Their costumer service is also second to none; they answer every email within a day or so, and they have sent me replacement cards at no charge, even of decks that I have not purchased from them.

I hope they're listening. *sigh*

P.S. I'm going to kill whoever designs these intrusive, ignorant spellcheck programs for my computer. I have to keep editing my posts because, aside from the usual typos, the software keeps correcting me; it seems to believe that "hoi polloi" is "hoo polo".....
Top   #53
Star clad

Padma 
Star clad

Another thing to be said for them in the positive is they do allow one to reserve a deck, as well as to make monthly payments on it - can't say I have seen that offered by any other company.

And also, yes, their artwork is fabulous. As are their boxes and books. Maybe it is a case of "you get what you pay for".

For those who will be able to afford the new Prague edition, I hope you enjoy it! I am just so excited to be able to finally get the freaking book! :p
Top   #54
Citizen

rylla 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana luisa View Post
Well said, gregory ! Some decks will unfortunately remain unreacheable to many. And we didn't even consider the outrageous shipping and taxes... Or decks that won't be sent to some countries like mine.
Doesn't MRP ship worldwide?
Top   #55
Citizen

rylla 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post

it seems to believe that "hoi polloi" is "hoo polo".....
Ha, ha! My tablet does the same thing. I write something in English or Hungarian and it transforms it to a language I never heard of (basically it re-writes the English word as they were written in Hungarian and vice versa!- this makes the text completely unreadable!).

I looked at their facebook but I did not see any details (maybe is just me who missed it - I am not too thorough). WIll some cards be changed? What size the cards will be? Extra large? (I hope so). Does anybody know how much is going to cost?
Top   #56
Citizen

cSpaceDiva 
Citizen

This is from the facebook page:
Quote:
There will be two versions of the deck (similarly to The Alice Tarot):
1. A large format, limited edition. $155—or $124 (or Euros) if you use your discount coupon. 750 only will be sold. 150 will be kept for our Magic Prague tours.
As with all our limited editions, it will be signed and numbered and we guarantee it will never be reprinted.
It comes with a free gift from us—a 65 cm (25 inch) square pure silk satin scarf specially designed and also limited edition (see more below).
2. A standard sized, open edition. $86—or $68.80 (or Euros) if you use your discount coupon). 1300 only will be sold. 200 will be kept for our Magic Prague tours.
We reserve the right to reprint this edition at some point in the future.
Both decks are over-printed in subtle, beautiful cold-stamping and printed in Europe (under Alex's personal supervision) on excellent card stock. The cold stamping is designed by hand by Alex—not by an automated process—so it adds a lot to the overall appearance and looks most beautiful when it catches the light. For Prague, "The Magic City" but also known as "Zlata Praha"—Golden Prague—it could not be more appropriate and we are thrilled to be able to enhance the deck in this way.
Both have a sturdy, printed, hinged box and come with a good LWB.
There are two new extra cards in the large format deck.
ALL cards have been altered and worked on—in some cases you'll see obvious changes, in others it's been a matter of improving image resolution (it was lower back in the days...) and detail.
The large format comes with a gift from us—a specially designed pure silk satin 65 cm square scarf that you can use to wrap your cards, wear or display. It's gorgeous fabric of "designer scarf" quality. Why a scarf? Because we just thought it would be beautiful and maybe more flexible for people than a bag. Personally, I love the idea of it being worn.
We will also be offering a different scarf in this fabric and format if anyone wants one for their standard deck. But the one that comes with the LE will be unique and also, of course, limited edition.
The coupon refers to an offer that will available on facebook and in their newsletter.
Top   #57
Citizen

rylla 
Citizen

Thank you cSpaceDiva !

150 EURO?! (that's $229 CAN!) (and I guess the deck is not even boxed) Plus shipping?! Forget it! [saying to self] Why do you have to buy a scarf too when you just want a deck?!?
Sorry that's a rip off! (taking advantage of people's love for tarot). Nowadays when there are so many great decks out there and many more to come - hm.
Top   #58
Citizen

rylla 
Citizen

Quote:
This is from the facebook page:

The coupon refers to an offer that will available on facebook and in their newsletter.
Which I bet they will use to make you pay for the deck in advance.
Top   #59
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylla View Post
Thank you cSpaceDiva !

150 EURO?! (that's $229 CAN!) (and I guess the deck is not even boxed) .
The deck is boxed.

Quote:
Both have a sturdy, printed, hinged box and come with a good LWB.
Top   #60

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.