Different decks, different interpretations?

D Sparkles

I'm wondering how many of you interpret cards differently depending on the type of deck you have. For example, would you read Snake in the Dreaming Way deck differently to the Snake card in another deck?

Genna

Hello! I don´t have The Dreaming Way, but here´s my two cents. I believe the correct answer is not to read the card different in different decks in Lenormand (words rather than pictures). I admit to read the snake often more positive in Mystical Lenormand, and to read the Tower sometimes more negative, like a prison, in Mystical Lenormand, but I believe this to be wrong.
Love and Light, Genna.

Village Witch

The only card I read differently from deck to deck is the Birds.

In some decks the Birds card shows Owls instead of cute little twittering birds. When owls are portrayed on the Birds card, I think of wise old owls and read the card as something that needs investigation/study and/or serious discussion. Otherwise, I read the Birds card as two people/a couple, gossip/chit chat or even a squabble.

It's my opinion that Spirit guides me to which deck to use.

D Sparkles

Thank you both for your replies. I was taught that regardless of the deck, the meanings were the same, unlike Tarot. The other day I had a reading from a professional and was somewhat disappointed that her interpretation didn't match the cards. She explained that different readers could interpret cards in different decks differently. That's what has promptes my question. I have only ever been taught by one Lennie reader, so that's why I'm interested in hearing what other readers think. It's interesting to learn that you both have slightly different takes on cards depending on the deck.

martyn_uk

All the same

As far as I'm aware, all Lenormand cards carry the same meaning regardless of the deck.
Hope this helps you

garmonbozia

Thank you both for your replies. I was taught that regardless of the deck, the meanings were the same, unlike Tarot.

This is traditionally correct. The artwork itself is not supposed to be interpreted, which is why I often prefer simpler Lenormand decks.

D Sparkles

This is traditionally correct. The artwork itself is not supposed to be interpreted, which is why I often prefer simpler Lenormand decks.

That's what I thought. I've never been so confused. One minute I think the card reader was telling me the truth, the next minute I wonder if she's a fraud. :-/ She used The Burning Serpent deck.

D Sparkles

As far as I'm aware, all Lenormand cards carry the same meaning regardless of the deck.
Hope this helps you

Thanks. I thought that was the case. That's what I've been taught anyway.

MoonGypsy

Now for something completely different...but still On topic....sorta

A little levity...from the Sassy Sibyl! This Vid has always amused me greatly.
She is Mel/Melissa Hill creator of the Melissa Lenormand, Postmark Lenormand and
more...

Remember, this is for a smile, and i think a lot of us could use one today ;):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jB0TSV4sQ

Nemia

The Mystical Lenormand was made by a German artist and writer, and in the German tradition, the Snake is not completely evil. So sometimes variations in the deck are rooted in the different "schools" - which are not SO very different after all, the interpretations are not completely different but just put the emphasis on a different aspect.

(If the book or website you read mentions sexuality with the Lilies and Anchor as main work card, it probably follows or is influenced by the German tradition.)

The Dreaming Way is visually beautiful but I didn't buy it yet because I find it distracts from the simple Lenormand meanings. Which is wonderful in a way - but the Rider's two directions, the Ship in a little tub, they ask for a more tarot-like way of reading. Maybe I'll be able to do that at a later stage, but for now, I need the clear-cut, unambiguous pictures of the Blue Owl, Dondorf, Blue Bird etc.

Once you have the core meanings clear in your head, you can interpret with any deck, and the small variations of the different "schools" reflected in some decks need not disturb you.