During which specific time do you feel more ''addicted'' to Tarot reading?

Cocobird55

I tend to read more when I have a decision to make. The tarot is very helpful for that.

tarot_quest

I completely agree with this. When I am at my most stressed and most anxious, that is when I am tempted to read the cards, yet I have found that this is exactly when I should NOT read my own cards. If I try to read, it seems that all of the worry and negativity I'm carrying inside of me inadvertently pours into the reading. My solutions have been: delay the reading for a few days until my mind is more settled, focus more on meditation and dream work instead, or participate in a reading circle here on the forum.

Yes. I am realizing that I should also delay my readings if I feel anxious about a topic. It can seem like an emergency in my mind, but waiting a bit will help. I will also try to mediate more regularly, instead of relying on the cards too much. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me :)

tarot_quest

I tend to overread subjects that carry a certain fear with them. When I had a very bad job, for example. Now, mostly relationship and love topics. Yeah, that cheesy. Especially concerning other people's feelings. I feel like a smoking doctor sometimes :).

However, lately I manage to stay away from the cards in these situations. I realized that I'm very sensitive to changing moods to the point of being unstable... and I don't want the cards to be a part of this.

I feel that we are very alike for this! I also have a changing mood, except that I was using the cards during such period... I agree that the cards should not be part of this ''mood'' to do not exacerbate it. I am glad to know that you can ''control'' this behavior now. I am working on it right now!

tarot_quest

Kalisti and nemia, thank you for sharing your routine as a reader with us :) As I can see, you seem quite balanced in your practice (and would even like to do more).

Violetdaisy, I also like to pay attention to my dreams. I agree that some of them are more like movies, while others contain important messages. I guess that when we decrease our tarot practice, we can pay more attention to other medium (like dreams, insights, meditation,...)

Cocobird, I agree that tarot is awesome when we want to take some decisions!

euripides

I study the cards, read a lot of books, make a lot of card exercises and read professionally but reading for myself is actually irreplaceable. Sometimes I don't read for myself for weeks and months although I touch the cards every day. Repeatedly. I simply have no questions that I couldn't answer without bothering the cards for it.

That's why I start again doing daily readings.

I have this problem to some extent. Well, life gets pretty crazy and I'm not happy about things but they still don't seem like things I can ask the cards about. I don't see the cards as giving me answers so much as guidance.

I do go through phases where I obsess about Tarot generally, and that's often when there's a sense of space in my life and I feel a bit more lost than usual. There's something reassuring about reading, it's like I'm getting back in touch with my old self, the self before I had a million real world responsibilities, when I used to live in a world of imagination and symbolism and wander along the street wondering about the meaning of things.

Carojulie

Hi guys :)

I am posting this thread because my life has been quite uncertain within the last years. I am looking for job since months and for a committed relationship since years. Since there was so much confusion in my life lately (where am I going?) I did multiple tarot readings. I decided to do not read for myself for a couple of days (but I will gladly read for others).

My question is, during which specific time of your life (or given the circumstances) did you read way too much for yourself?

I feel as if most tarot readers have in common that they want to know where things are heading. However, the tendency of over reading on a topic can manifest when we truly don't know where life is leading us, leading to muddy readings I guess.

* If you don't read for yourself or feel that you are way above such behavior, please don't respond to this post :)

I think I have the opposite problem !

I seem to do much more readings when I am calm and relaxed and grounded. That is when I take the time to read the cards.
When I am stressed about things in my life, I tend to delay reading for myself because I do not trust myself to read the cards objectively - I fear I would overinterpret the reading, or twist its meaning, or rush through it, or not make sense of it at all.... or even, just disregard the cards if I dont like the cards that came out !
So, in such stressed times, I might do a lot of tarot related things, but I do not really read for myself.
When stressed, I actually find that reading for someone else helps me focus on the cards more objectively, without putting personal interpretation, like I fear I would do for myslef.

When I DO read for myself when stressed, I find that I need to put a sort of distance between me and the reading in order for it to remain objective. I do that by journaling about the reading (it helps me being honest about what I see !), or at least take a picture of the spread for future reference. It helps me stay grounded.

But I admit that most of the time, when stressed, I just dont do much readings. In such times I prefer to have my cards read for me by someone else !

EmpyreanKnight

One of these times would be when I'm stressed and have problems I cannot strategize my way out of, or which I don't fully know how to solve. It can give you very useful insights and show you different perspectives on the issue at hand.

Moonpaw

I used to be really bad about over-reading for myself, and I'd always reach for the cards when I felt fed up with a situation that wasn't moving quickly enough for my tastes. The readings usually went this way: "I've done everything I know to do! What else could I be doing?" "Being patient, for one thing." And I wouldn't much like that answer, so I'd try again and get the same message or the readings would start to get murky.

Thankfully, I've learned my lesson and I don't do that (as much!) anymore, but I'm often sorely tempted. :laugh:

MaileSkye

I used to do this when I was "learning" a new deck.

I'm the same way. When I have a new deck (or an old favorite calls out to me), I become addicted to tarot.

I also find that I am addicted to tarot around winter. I often pull my cards out around Halloween and this pushes me to keep pulling cards. Over the past few years, I've received a deck for the holidays, and this puts me back in the learning a new deck phase.