Help with the 6, 2 & 10 of Cups

Lunar*ivy

Ok...im new so if im in the wrong place to ask my question i do apologize...but im a bit confused on the meanings of the 6 of cups..also 2 and 10 of cups...in my studies i noticed that the 6 cups is known as the card of the past..either still figuratively living there or still thinking of an old lover...or the nostalgic...then more recently someone else described it as the soulmate card...that didnt resonate with me much but ok i went with it...then i seen that it could b a card that suggests emotional attatchments to a person due to ties of a past life together which made alot more sense...then i see that the 2 of cups is also refered to as the soulmate card which seems more likely to be than the 6 of cups...but then we have the 10 of cups...strong connection with your sig other...soooooo having said that...can anyone offer some light here? Thanks so much i love this site and am so grateful u all are here!!! Much love and many blessings...ok i just seen where i was supposed to put this question...lol now i gotta type all this again...

Sulis

Moderator note

Hi Lunar*ivy,

Welcome to Aeclectic :).

It's difficult to work out exactly what your saying since you've written as a block of text with some words abbreviated and you haven't said what your question is, what deck you're reading etc..

To make things easier for people to help you please:

I can see that you've had a go at interpreting the cards but knowing your question and whether this is a complete reading would really help.

Could everyone else please wait?

Sulis - moderator

Lunar*ivy

Im sorry.. This wasnt a reading...my actual question was just what does anyone else thunk of these cards.. Like this us my take on them but im not sure if mine is accurate...so i was hoping some of u could add their thoughts about the similarities and differences.. My oppologies this probably belongs is the other forum about tarot card meaning discussions but im not sure how to move it there...im on a cell so i cant copy and paste...

Sulis

OK, so these are cards that have shown up over a lot of your tarot readings?

Please don't copy and paste, I'll find out which forum it should go in and I'll move it accordingly.

Sulis - moderator

Lunar*ivy

Yes primarily the 6c....but in my general studies in learning to read tarot as a whole ive noticed other people have said the 6c can be seen as the soul mate card...but the 2c ive seen it called the same....so which one is right? Then 10c also represents strong connections...is this accurate?

violetdaisy

I've seen all 3 of those cards used as indicators of a soul mate - depending on the surrounding cards.

However, in my readings 2c typically indicates one-on-one interaction with someone, a newer relationship, getting to know each other, finding commonalities and enjoying each other's company. It also comes up when I *need* to spend time with my husband.

6c I find usually indicates nostalgia and happy memories. Even though some do use this card for "soul mate," I find it would only be accurate in a *past* setting. I also see this card as sharing something you enjoy with someone else. It's a giving card (where as the 6p can indicate giving or getting).

Lastly 10c is both "the best there is" (emotionally) and a que for the beginning of a new cycle. You feel fulfilled and content with your family and friends, eveything you've been through to get to this point was worth it and you're satisfied. However, there's also a caution with this card to not become complacent and to be willing to begin a new cycle of emotional growth.

I'm sure that these cards can indicate soul mate; but I am of the belief that none of them actually say that unless accompanied by other supporting cards. (Same goes for the twin flame belief.) I might consider any of these as soul mate cards if accompanied by the Lovers, the World, the Sun, or both Empress/Emperor, King/Queen (or King/King or Queen/Queen).

Lunar*ivy

Violetdaisey u rock

Thanks a million for your insight!!! Everything u said made perfect sense...im trying to learn these cards with every fiber of my being...for some reason my passion in life is to throw myself into tarot...i have the guilded deck...my first deck ever btw...the reason im asking for interpretations of these cards is i just feel i really need to learn tarot and i love it..i love this site too...i am learning so much...u are all so nice and i thank u for your wisom my friend!!! I just noticed i spelled your name wrong...forgive me it wont let me edit for some reason...

Thirteen

Cups isn't just romantic love

I'm in line with violetdaisy.

Cups aren't just about love, but other strong, "soft" emotions (joy, depression, ecstasy), spirituality, and psychic abilities. Meaning, if you're entering the world of Tarot, you're entering the realm of Cups...of psychic powers. Also, when Cups are about "love" it isn't always romantic love. It can be love for a friend, sibling, parents, children or pets :) So, given your new "love, love, love" of tarot, I'm not surprise you're getting all these cups. :D

2/Cups is usually a card that shows a strong connection, usually with someone new or someone old, but you're seeing them in a different light. It's the card you get when you're stayed up all night talking with someone or thinking about them. It doesn't mean you're soulmates so much as that you think alike, are on the same page, have a connection. Nor does this card promise that anything will come of this. But something *could* come of it if you wish to pursue it. A romance or a good friendship.

6/Cups is the "known comfort" card. Which is why it's related to nostolgia. It's either for someone you've known for years, or someone who you feel you've known for years. This is a relationship (friendship) that is like a comfortable pair of slippers. Nothing new, nothing surprising. Just safe and cozy and reliable. I have seen this card for couples who are "friends with benefits"--no longer in a relationship but still having sex. Because they know they can give each other what each other likes and wants.

10/Cups is the "love" (or whatever the emotion) going beyond the physical and the now. Like the love of parents continuing on in their children who give that love to the next generation. It's expanding the love beyond that two person romance that is potentially there in 2/Cups. The two aren't looking only at each other any more. What they feel has expanded outward and even beyond.

Lunar*ivy

This is awesome

I'm in line with violetdaisy.

Cups aren't just about love, but other strong, "soft" emotions (joy, depression, ecstasy), spirituality, and psychic abilities. Meaning, if you're entering the world of Tarot, you're entering the realm of Cups...of psychic powers. Also, when Cups are about "love" it isn't always romantic love. It can be love for a friend, sibling, parents, children or pets :) So, given your new "love, love, love" of tarot, I'm not surprise you're getting all these cups. :D

2/Cups is usually a card that shows a strong connection, usually with someone new or someone old, but you're seeing them in a different light. It's the card you get when you're stayed up all night talking with someone or thinking about them. It doesn't mean you're soulmates so much as that you think alike, are on the same page, have a connection. Nor does this card promise that anything will come of this. But something *could* come of it if you wish to pursue it. A romance or a good friendship.

6/Cups is the "known comfort" card. Which is why it's related to nostolgia. It's either for someone you've known for years, or someone who you feel you've known for years. This is a relationship (friendship) that is like a comfortable pair of slippers. Nothing new, nothing surprising. Just safe and cozy and reliable. I have seen this card for couples who are "friends with benefits"--no longer in a relationship but still having sex. Because they know they can give each other what each other likes and wants.

10/Cups is the "love" (or whatever the emotion) going beyond the physical and the now. Like the love of parents continuing on in their children who give that love to the next generation. It's expanding the love beyond that two person romance that is potentially there in 2/Cups. The two aren't looking only at each other any more. What they feel has expanded outward and even beyond.

Thank you thirteen u have given me a new look at these cards. I havent looked at 2 of cups that way before...wow there are so many possibilities to the interpretations its almost overwhelming. I guess it all depends on the surrounding cards? Your 6of cups was interesting also...ive never heard of that analogy used yet...but makes perfect sense. The 10 of cups interpretation was excellent...it all makes sense with the kids in the picture and the parents perhaps...i once read someone viewed it as the husband was having an affair and it was his mistress and extended family so to speak...that was really different but again it all depends on the other cards. Thank you very much!

Thirteen

i once read someone viewed it as the husband was having an affair and it was his mistress and extended family so to speak...that was really different but again it all depends on the other cards.
I'd never heard of that interpretation, and likely would never seen the 10/Cups that way at all. There are many other cards that can indicate affairs or a mistress (9/Pents is the most common one). But the 10/Cups? I think that's really stretching it without a *lot* of other cards pointing in that direction :)