The Study of the Marseilles pips general observations for the 2's

Mimers

Posted by jmd on 24-03-2003 23:04:

May I suggest, with regards to the twos, some attention be also paid especially to their function in providing the purchaser knowing something of the publisher. In most decks, this occurs with the two of Coins - though in some, it is (also) the two of Cups.

In each card, however, there is a simplicity which in many ways 'indroduces' the way more tools will be depicted, and which shows their difference from the Aces.

And how do we tell if they are each reversed? do the buds, vines and plant-life provide for particular details worth further meditation.

Posted by ihcoyc on 25-03-2003 00:26:
The ribbon that appears on the 2 of Coins seems to have been a symbol that some have made much of. Pamela Colman Smith made it into a lemniscus / infinity sign, and preserved it --- though not the text --- on her deck.

The tradition of using the 2 of Coins and Cups to name the card maker was preserved on the 17th century Tarot de Paris, although the shape on the 2 of Cups is different, it is only a lozenge; and the space for actually including the name is left blank on this deck. The tradition is preserved also in non-Marseilles traditional decks like the Ancient Italian Tarot and the Swiss 1JJ deck.
Posted by Diana on 25-03-2003 08:35:

Think of the number 2. Forget the element for the moment. But what does a 2 mean to you? What does it evoke? Look at how the different elements (cups, swords, batons and deniers) are placed on the card - vertically, horizontally? Would that make a difference in how you interpret them? If not, why not? Look at that crazy 2 of Cups? Why does is have that red (in the Grimaud) big band on the bottom? And why is it red? Fish? Why fish? (Perhaps because fish and water go well together? Perhaps.....)

Posted by skytwig on 25-03-2003 20:22:

twig comments: Mirrors - isn't it interesting that we can't see our own faces? (I used to try as a child; was totally befuddled by this body container in which I found myself.) Do mirrors and twos indicate something about our stay here on this planet? Is it possible that in another 'place' we CAN see our faces? what would life be like if we could - directly I mean.

Also, it is interesting that our two sides of face are not the same!!

And, isn't it intriguing that we, as humans, are so 2 oriented? 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 sides of brain...... 2 parties of gov; 2 sides to a war; 2 sides to every story; 2 parents of a child; 2 sides of the I CHING; 2 colors of checkers.....

Mirrors bring to mind Alice jumping through the Looking Glass. One thing I have 'remembered' is that, on Earth, everything IS opposite to what it seems..... OR SO IT SEEMS TO ME......

2 is balance, yes, but what is the center of that balance: One? or is it the energy of the 2?

Posted by Khatruman on 25-03-2003 23:18:

I'm not really sure about the mirror imagery that Diana is getting at. Seems there is a symmetry like that in all the two's here. I do see a difference in the coins, in that the two coins are one above the other, rather than side by side, but there is a symmetrical balance in all the two's

Posted by skytwig on 25-03-2003 23:47:
COLORS
As a Reiki healer and a mover of energy within meridians and chakras, I notice the colors right off the bat. Yellow is the solar plexus, where our will arises. Red is the root chakra, from which life ascends. Energy, survival. Group thinking. Blue is the throat chakra, communication. Black has to be Shadow, or all colors (to me). White is Light. the Unknown. The Eternal Question/Answer. The aforementioned colors lie upon this field of White. As if it is a drawing upon Spirit or a dance within it.

Posted by Mimers on 27-03-2003 06:37: (commenting on Skytwig’s observations)
Before I delved into each card of the 2's I first wrote down some thoughts about 2's in general. Let's see, I wrote:
blending, coming together of opposites. I think of the = sign. You have one part and the other, the equal sign blends them together in the equation and then you get 3.
Posted by ihcoyc on 27-03-2003 20:28:
Perhaps it might also pay to consider the zoomorphic filigree patterns you see in the Book of Kells and similar illuminated manuscripts and Teutonic and Celtic art in connection with the attention we've so far been paying to the decorations. Is there a language there? and if so, how is it read? The 2 of Cups seems unique in featuring a heraldic or decorative beast; I don't know of any animals that appear in any of the others.

Posted by Moongold on 29-03-2003 07:10:
I think that 2 is a very slinky, sensuous number. Look at the way it curves. So graceful. Amost a Yoga like position but Yoga doesn't seem quite right because it is usually a solitary activity. Two means two, more than one. And two in harmony.

And something else I've just noticed. How the figure two just grows, curves gracefully out of the one. I've never thought of numbers like that. They are actually images in their own right. Elemental simplicity.
Posted by Diana on 29-03-2003 13:23:
Moongold: It is a very enriching exercice to look at the shape of numbers. I'm glad you brought this up! The two is quite fascinating. It has a solid base - very sturdy. And then it rises up to the sky - reaching up to spirituality, but then it curves down again - out of nostalgia? fear? or because it would like to do a full circle but can't quite make it? It's base goes right - to the future, but at the top it goes left - it goes towards the past (duality again). It is a sentimental number, which is why it doesn't feel to happy when it's in an Air element which is more decisive, and feels very much at ease in the Water element where it enjoys the fluidity of water. Does it like the Earth element and the Fire element? Anyone want to give their opinion?
Posted by HOLMES on 29-03-2003 17:29:
the two manifested in the elemental world.
as it pertains to fire, air, cups, and physical, as it mean to the reader to me i see them as spiritual, mental, emotional and actual physical level of beings and ways we live.

two to me means harmony, and reversed disharmony
it also means to me the highpriestress manifest in the physical world to reveal secrets and to use one own unition.

my first look at all these four cards from the attachement is they are all symetrical like yin and yang , except for the two of cups. two of swords……
……. the swords are much more like the staff then previsouly mentioned as their are two handle to hold the blade, but it is an weapon in the middle and in the ends.
(one can see the klingon weapons from the star trek the new generation to understand how it moves )
this is fitting as they are both the higher suit as it comes from coming from the sourch through the body, spirit, mind, then emotions then pentacles.

the colour blue evidently also has an connection with the throat center, so by expressing peace , you bring peace, it is theorized and idealized, is it so, only through harmonizing all four aspects of ourself can it be for the individual .
Posted by Aerin on 30-03-2003 11:19:
2 usually makes me think about choices, which can blend or oppose or sometimes just stand alongside each other……
…… Both wands and swords are very symmetrical with respect to the horizontal and vertical midlines. The cups only along the vertical midline.

Posted by skytwig on 31-03-2003 22:58:
Polarity
From The Mythic Tarot: " The twos in all four suits of the Minor arcana represent a polarization of the initial raw energy of the Aces."

Websters: Polarity:
1. the quality or condition inherent in a body that exhibits opposite properties or powers in opposite parts or directions or that exhibits contrasted properties or powers in contrasted parts of directions.
2. attraction toward a particular object or in a specific direction
3. the particular state, either positive or negative, with reference to the two poles or to electirfication

SYNERGY: The total is greater than the sum of the two!!!

What stands out for me is the quality of polarization in the twos. When i picked up the Mythic Tarot, yesterday, I was struck by the above quoted statement.

For me, polarization is very much a synergistic occurrence. Something greater, than the sum of the two, arises, 'appears on the scene', comes into being. Is it as if a third being appears or is it that the two beings/things have become something larger?

I personally do not believe in the idea that another person can make me whole, but i do believe that the experience of relationship can create its own life; another life, if you will.....

Posted by skytwig on 03-04-2003 09:47:
I was considering the 2s last night and it struck me that two is truly a representation of our initial 'birth' experience. For the first time, we discover we are not alone. there is someone else or some thing else, be that an idea or a thought or a creative possibility.

I keep bringing up polarity because i feel that is the dynamic energy of the 2 card. As a child i played with these teeny magnetic scottie dogs, one black, one white. They moved together or apart, depending on the magnetic energy dancing between them. It was my introduction to polarity; to the forces of TWO!
I think it is interesting that the two of WANDS cross in the middle, whereas, the TWO of swords cross in 2 places, top and bottom, as if thought creates more thought and creative energy (wands) arises directly from a centered energy, our inner energy.

Mimers

continued

Posted by skytwig on 03-04-2003 10:24:
The idea of polarity stirs up the tensions of life, how as we act and interact, polarity creates a dance of life, never the same, always refreshingly different.
Posted by wolfen045 on 04-04-2003 01:02:
Let me start with a quote: One is the Loneliest number that you'll ever do./Two can be as bad as one,/It's the loneliest number since the number one. ONE, Harry Nilsson I don't have the TdM, so I am relying on the scan. My first thoughts are on what the number 2 means. I see it as duality manifesting from singularity. **oooh, look at all the BIG words ** L in plain English one joins one creating something new. But as the song (quoted above points out) 2 against the world can be a stuggle. I think that is why the swords and wands cross each other. people need each other yet our egos cause us to clash with others, esp. those closest to us.
Posted by wolfen045 on 04-04-2003 01:02:
Two more quick observations: I thought I would never want the TdM, It seemed too"primitive" but after reading this thread in one sitting, I feel it would be a nice deck to own. second observation (hey we are dealing with 2 here LOL)

Mimers

More thoughts/questions

We explored the concept of 2 and even the role of colors.

There were however some things that perhaps could use more consideration.

I will quote some of them below. Please forgive me for not quoting, it's too much work.

And how do we tell if they are each reversed? do the buds, vines and plant-life provide for particular details worth further meditation.

Look at how the different elements (cups, swords, batons and deniers) are placed on the card - vertically, horizontally? Would that make a difference in how you interpret them? If not, why not?

I was also thinking, I would like to explore the use of color more myself. I know we touched on it, but I would like to learn more.

Mimi

Rusty Neon

Shapes of Numbers

Moongold:

I think that 2 is a very slinky, sensuous number. Look at the way it curves. So graceful. Amost a Yoga like position but Yoga doesn't seem quite right because it is usually a solitary activity. Two means two, more than one. And two in harmony.

And something else I've just noticed. How the figure two just grows, curves gracefully out of the one. I've never thought of numbers like that. They are actually images in their own right. Elemental simplicity.

Moongold and Diana ... It's very insightful of you for having noted number shape. The first time that I encountered number shape in numerology was in the numerology of Alain Brêthes in his book on the minor arcana of the tarot. For instance, on the 2, he spends a whole page discussing the shape of the 2 along the lines of Diana's analysis and drawing meaning from the shape. I wonder how prevalent the concept of number shape is in numerology. Before Brethês, I had only thought of number symbolism in terms of Pythagorean number symbolism and religious number symbolism.

Rusty Neon

Marteau Colours

Mimers said:

I was also thinking, I would like to explore the use of color more myself. I know we touched on it, but I would like to learn more.

I'm expanding on what I had mentioned on the subject of colours in the initial TdM 2s thread.

Analyzing the Marteau deck (as published by Grimaud and also by Dusserre) by reference to colour usage in the deck can be a good way of giving meaning to the random details of the pips as well as the other cards of the deck. Analysis by colour usage is a big part of the technique that Marteau uses in his book for deriving meanings for the cards.

However, the colour usage employed by Marteau in the conception of his deck in the 1930s is not the same was used in the 1760 Conver TdM deck preserved at the National Library in Paris. If one wishes to use both the Conver deck (Heron) and the Marteau deck, one will see that colour usage will be different between the decks. Query whether Marteau's selection of colour usage was consciously different, or whether he was not aware of the 1760 colours.

(To further complicate the mix, the colour usage between 1760 Conver specimens differs. You can see this by comparing the Heron version of the 1760 Conver with the Lo Scarabeo version of the 1760 Conver which is based on a different specimen.)

This finally brings me to my point :). If one assigns meaning in part based on colour usage, should the meaning of a given card be different as between these two decks? In my view, no. This is why, reluctantly, my ongoing personal study of the TdM minor arcana disregards colour usage.

I'd be interested in other people's views on whether analysis of colour usage enters into their personal study of the TdM minor arcana.

Mimers

Please do!

Rusty Neon,

I too have noticed the variances in color in the various Marseille decks.

Don't let this stop you from sharing. Please do expand on your knowledge of colors. I have limited knowlege of this and it does intrigue me. Colors in the cards have a profound affect on me when I read them, I could not bear to leave them out. I am not so worried that they vary from deck to deck. Whatever the deck I am reading with at the time evokes in me is fine.

Here are what I think of with certain colors.

Red-passion and not just in love, but for anything.

Green-I think of the Evergreen trees, and how they never die. they live and stay green through all seasons. And their smell. I also see the trees in the forest and all their green leaves. Even on a scorching hot day they give me shade and coolness from the sun.

Blue- I think of when I was little. A blue sky meant I could play outside! I would not be trapped in the house all day! Freedom, happiness.

Yellow - this I know will be far from the norm, but I always think of lemons and how their sour taste makes your face scwinch up. I really think of yellow as kind of a deceiving type of color. A lemon looks so good and juicy, but when you put it to your mouth, eww.

Purple- my favorite color. My old car was purple, my bedroom is a beautiful lavender, my favorite flower is the purple lilac. It makes me feel so peaceful. Close to God and calm and serene.

Orange-orange reminds me of the sun. Energy. I new day. a new opportunity in life. Energy and action.

Rusty Neon

Marteau's colours

Hi Mimers .... These are some colour keyword correspondences that Mr. Marteau uses in his book:

This is a bit rough and ready and is incomplete. It doesn't capture everything. I've extrapolated from his card descriptions. He doesn't explicitly give a list of correspondences. Hopefully this gives you a flavour. Of course, Marteau views are not the be all, end all of colour interpretation; however, they are of some interest since he did choose the colour schemes in the deck.

BLUE: the spiritual

RED: matter; the material

YELLOW: divine and human intelligence

FLESH: the vital; the animal; physical

BLACK: imperfections, obstacles; concentration of forces; inertia of matter

WHITE: luminosity; light; 'active richness'; flourishing; harmony; impersonalness

GREEN: vital energies

skytwig

COLORS/COLOURS

Neon: I would agree with most of those associations; but to me, black is a sacred color of the unknown. It is also a grounding color and a protective color. Black like mother earth, rich with mulch.

"Flesh"? do you mean brown? Brown, in all its' shades is a grounding color, but it can also mean sickness.

Blue: throat chakra; communication

Green; heart chakra (pink also) growth; life

Yellow: Solar plexus chakra; Will; mind; thinking; directing thought

Purple; this is a very spiritual color; divinity; communication with the Divine (red + blue) very cleansing

Black, to me, is the presence of all colors; White is the Indefinable. Pure Spirit.

Mimers, once again, thank you for this summary. Fabulous!!!!

Rusty Neon

COLOURS

skytwig said:

"Flesh"? do you mean brown? Brown, in all its' shades is a grounding color, but it can also mean sickness.

No. 'Flesh' as in skin colour like the colour of the body of the human in the Grimaud TdM Death card and the colours of the faces of the man in the Chariot card and the lady in the Justice card.

Depending on the printing quality of the deck, sometimes yellow and flesh can look very similar in hue but they are different colours.

Rusty Neon

Is the TdM pip card study still alive and well?