Swords and colours - Grimaud

Aoife

Prompted by Diana's question about the 9 of swords, I pulled out my Grimaud deck.

The only reference to the use of colour that I have is at http://krishadar.com/A/Index1A.asp. The first thing that occurs is that Kris Hadar's definitions may not apply to the Grimaud deck.... if so, I'm completely at sea.

Outside of the suit of swords in the Grimaud deck, the only other card to show a sword is Justice - blade, guard and hilt are all yellow. Yellow is said to be the colour of universal wisdom. [Works for me].

Kris Hadar says that "the tarot tells of the battle between the blue [spiritual plane, timless power] and red [material plane, temporal power] supervised by the yellow [divine plane, universal wisdom].

Three cards have swords showing blue, red and yellow - The Ace, the seven and the ten [although the ten is complicated by the fact that two swords are shown with different colour distributions]. In the case of the Ace and the seven, the blades are blue, the guards yellow, the hilts red with a yellow finial. Would I therefore be right in understanding that the hand that wields the sword does so in pursuit of desire for temporal power. But between the handling of the sword and the deploying of the blade comes the guard [or warning? or barrier?] suggesting that universal wisdom should first be applied? The blue blade, properly employed portends spiritual greatness and divine blessing [the crown and yods]?

Or am I on a wild goose chase.... or have I misunderstood?

I could continue - with a particular fascination now for the swords wielded by the Courts - but perhaps another time.

Your guidance or comments would be greatly appreciated.

skytwig

It is interesting that they are the primary colors......

Doesn't the coloring have to do with the inks that were available back then, more than anything?

Also, it may have had to do with the area, the village that the cards were printed in........

(PS.... just a student asking questions)

Rusty Neon

While some Conver Tarot de Marseille decks printed in the 19th century had a limited number of colours (only 4 colours, if I recall) due to printing technology restrictions, the Grimaud/Marteau Tarot de Marseille deck in fact uses a total of 7 different colours:

- blue
- red
- yellow/gold
- "flesh"
- white
- green
- black

It's true, though, that blue, red and yellow do predominate throughout the Grimaud/Marteau deck.

Rusty Neon

Aoife said:
The only reference to the use of colour that I have is at http://krishadar.com/A/Index1A.asp. The first thing that occurs is that Kris Hadar's definitions may not apply to the Grimaud deck.... if so, I'm completely at sea.

The various French tarot authors have different colour symbolism meanings, although you will find many similarities as between authors.

If you're interested in the colour symbolism meanings given by Paul Marteau, creator of the Grimaud deck, see my 19-06-2003 posting in the following thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1614&highlight=s%E9dillot+colours