museum tarot in new york city

elektrius

hi guys,

i hope im posting this in the right place! i live in new york city and was wondering if anyone knows of any historical tarot decks on display in a museum nearby? i would love to see the cary-yale at the yale university in new haven in connecticut. it's not that close so ill try and make a day trip one day if i find out it's on display to the public? anything else one might see?

have a beautiful day everyone :)

shaveling

Thirty-five cards of the Visconti-Sforza are at the Morgan, on Madison at 36th St. I don't know how often any of them are on display. The last time I was there, years ago, the person in the gift shop told me they usually carried a couple of the standard Visconti decks: I think one was the Lo Scarabeo, don't recall the other. They were sold out that day, so I bought a box of wonderful Visconti Tarot greeting cards. I like using the Queen of Swords to write some women lawyers I know.

elektrius

Thirty-five cards of the Visconti-Sforza are at the Morgan, on Madison at 36th St. I don't know how often any of them are on display. The last time I was there, years ago, the person in the gift shop told me they usually carried a couple of the standard Visconti decks: I think one was the Lo Scarabeo, don't recall the other. They were sold out that day, so I bought a box of wonderful Visconti Tarot greeting cards. I like using the Queen of Swords to write some women lawyers I know.

wonderful, thank you shaveling!
i'll find out if they are on display, that's just the kind of info i was looking for. [emoji4]

Teheuti

The Met in NY has a pretty good collection of old Tarot cards and some cartomancy decks. Robert Place usually does a guided tour through their collection (you get to go back into one of the private collection/study areas) each year just before Readers Studio. It's well worth going on the tour with Robert.

LadyScarlet

I'm so glad I saw this thread! I'm going to NY soon and will make it a point to visit some Tarot shops plus the museums. If anyone is interesting in meeting there to see the cards at the Met let me know. Very cool! thanks for posting this info!

Scarlet