Turned charts.

Sharla

Im trying to get my head around turned charts, so say for example your asking about a spouse and he is 7th, but you also want to know about his male boss at work and the relationship between them.

So would this make the male boss be 10 away from the 7th, making it the 4th house counting 7th as the 1st ?

And then would you still use the 10th house too for the boss ?

Minderwiz

Turning the chart is best kept to a minimum or avoided if possible, that's why we give X the first house in a question about X's relationship with Y, even when we have asked the question, providing we are not a direct participant in the question.

If the question does involve is directly, such as 'Will X persuade his boss to give me a part time job?' or 'Does X's daughter like my new outfit?'. Then we do have to turn the chart (though in the latte case, we might still use the Seventh for her if we know her by name).

X's boss is fourth house, X's daughter is eleventh house (5th from 7th). But if X's daughter is called Mandy, the question is 'Will Mandy like my new outfit?' and Mandy gets the seventh. The same would hold for X's boss, Mr. Bloggs. 'Will Mr. Bloggs give me a job?' The job is tenth house.

RohanMenon

Thank You Minderwiz

Very helpful.

Even as I start getting deeper into Lilly's books, I remain confused about a few things, and turning charts or not was one of them.

The other question I have is when to use a house significator alone (without explicit aspects between querent and quesited significators) to judge a question.

In the Horary DIY thread (which seems dead, else I would have asked there, please feel free to move this there if appropriate) for Lee's "is my brother dead or not" question, the question seems to be judged from the third house significator only without looking for a connection to the querent's significator. There was also the issue of whether to turn the chart or not (which is now clear to me)

Minderwiz

Some questions don't require action to be answered:

Is my brother dead?
Is he telling the truth?
Does she love me?

are examples. They usually refer to a person's state of mind, or health, or whereabouts but there are many variants.

Questions that involve action usually require aspects.

Will he marry me?:. He has to act even if only to respond to a proposal
Does he love me? : He doesn't need to say or do anything.

Where's my lost watch? : No action is required. I don't have to look
Will I recover my lost watch? : I have to do something to find it, if only by accident.

Will my house purchase go through? : Someone needs to act
Is this a good house? : No action is required. I don't need to buy it to have an answer.

Many questions involve both elements. Should I make an offer on this house? involves some consideration of the house's condition as well as looking at the chance of a successful purchase.

RohanMenon

Wow! This is very clear and useful. Thank You Minderwiz.