Planet Series: The MOON

wizzle

The Moon Part 2

Reflection and response

Reflection and response is the primary action of the moon. Just as it reflects the sun's light in the sky, our astrological Moon is where we reflect our energies onto other people. In psychological terms, this mechanism is called projection. Those bits of us which are not consciously acceptable (either good or bad) are perceived in other people. You can often see people doing exactly what they most condemn, but it will be unconscious. If you point out this fact, the person is likely to become very defensive and emotional. This is an example of the Moon at work.

In terms of response, the Moon is quick and again subjective and provides emotional rather than considered actions. Habits are a lunar type of action and as most of us know they can be very very difficult to overcome. In fact, the action of the Moon is tremendously strong in our lives and I often get a kick out of folks saying "Oh, I'm an emotional water sign" and implying that water/the Moon is a weak element. On the contrary, it can often swamp our consciousness. And here we have the dangers of a Moon/Sun imbalance, consciousness is so weakened by the subjective action of the Moon that we find ourselves doing things we know perfectly well are not in our best interests. This imbalance will show up in a chart as either a hard aspect to the Moon or a difficult conjunction and can be caused by other than hard aspects between the Sun and Moon themselves. It could also show up by a very aspected Moon while the Sun is in a weak house/sign or unaspected.

Since the Moon is our incoming mechanism, it is representative of where we are sensitive. And as a response to difficulties, it is how we tend to hide emotionally or comfort ourselves. It's how to try to comfort others as well. Generally we do for others what feels good to us.

Dads mentioned that the Moon forms connections and this is another of it's primary functions and why water is such a good metaphor for the Moon. Astrologically water is a universal solvent that dissolves differences and individuality. The Moon is our sea of emotions which we use to bond based on common feelings. We may not understand some fine intellectual point, but we do know what it means to feel sad or happy, etc. and we can sympathize or empathize with others, thereby coming closer to them. This bonding action can be seen dramatically when a community is under stress, as during a natural disaster. Suddenly neighbors who have never met are helping one another because they now have a common emotional reaction.

(to be continued)

wizzle

The Moon – Final Thoughts

Yes, there is more to say about the Moon. Books have been written about her astrological meaning and yet she tends to be undervalued in comparison with the Sun. She is on a par in terms of a natal chart, and as you'll see, perhaps more important in a progressed chart. BTW, in writing out my views of the Moon and the other planets I'm not consulting any books nor doing more than scanning Dads' input. This is because I think it's valuable to hear different people discuss the same planet, even if there is some repetition. All of our Moons are different so we receive information and experience in different ways. Sometimes one way is more meaningful than another. Which is why I encourage everyone to pitch in their 2 cents. Your way of seeing the Moon might resonate far better and give one of our members that "eureka" moment.

Water and more particularly the sea is closely associated with the Moon. This is because she affects the tides but also because the sea is a universal metaphor for the start of life and the subconscious. The sea can be calm and beautiful but it can also foam and destroy. We can float on the sea or we can drown in it. In the same way the Moon in our charts can buoy us up so that we float across our emotions and impressions. When this happens we feel calm, connected, we find a place of grace. You might want to imagine the delight of daydreaming on a raft. You can be open to people, experiences and all life has to offer. This is how a well aspected Moon feels and operates. When the sea is turbulent we feel like we are drowning in impressions, inputs, feelings, emotions, everything. When this happens in a chart, people will usually put up strong psychic barriers. They will attempt to retreat into a shell or dominate with their own emotions. Remember that the sea is anything but submissive. Water is an element which flows and adapts. So does the Moon. It will flow quite illogically around a problem rather than confronting it directly. But, like water, the Moon will wear down even granite, given enough time.

Taking the water metaphor in another direction, the Moon is our urge for commonality, for being the same. Astrologically, water is a solvent wherein everything becomes one. Generally we can notice this in group situations like sports events, concerts, etc. We merge with those around us and start to feel and act in the same manner. Thus the Moon provides social bonding on both a personal and impersonal level. She is the underpinning for the social structure developed by Saturn. And in this capacity, she will try to drown the individuality of the Sun, her counterpart.

The Moon is best personified by the triple goddess: virgin, mother, crone. She opens the doors to life and she leads us out of life, so that the Moon is descriptive of these phases of our existence. It's also why the Moon can be scary. She walks us on our way to death. Indeed, she operates in any area where we are not in control, where we are powerless. I've often wondered why societies so often need to control women and I have come to the conclusion that there is an innate recognition of the triple goddess within women. And if one can control the physical representative of the goddess, maybe one can control death itself.

The triple goddess concept is related to the phases of the moon, waxing, full and waning, which cycle quickly month after month. Thus the Moon is associated with short cycles but also with repetition. The Moon wants to do things again, and again, and again… oh and once more please. This is another way that the Moon ties into our habits and the familiar. Doing something new is up to the Sun. Doing the same thing over and over is the Moon. The Moon by sign, aspect and house can show where we are in a rut.

The Moon moves at a little over 12 degrees per day and is the quickest planet. This speed becomes particularly important in a progressed chart, where a year of life is symbolized by a day's movement with the natal chart as a starting point. Thus, in any given year, the progressed Moon will move about one degree a month. Most of the other planets will move very little, the Sun moving only one degree in the whole year. Therefore, it is the Moon which is most active in adding dynamics to a progressed chart. Consider the chart of a 12 year old. It will look almost exactly like the natal chart with the exception of the Moon which will have moved about 150 degrees from its natal position. Here we have another explanation of the importance of the Moon for the child. Most of the changes in his progressed chart will be caused by the progressing Moon. It's my experience with progressed charts that the Moon will form a close aspect during significant points in our lives. A fun exercise, if you have the software, is to pick out important dates like when you graduated from school, got married, had a child, etc. and do a progressed chart for each date. The Moon will probably either be making an aspect in the progressed chart itself or against the natal chart (like for a transit).

Thanks for listening folks and have some fun thinking about your own lunacy.

rcb30872

I have noticed that this was here before, but I have had other things on my mind, sorry!

So, I would say the moon would dictate to you what you would possibly look for in other people, but not necessarily. But I like what wizzle said that that the Moon is more prevalent when you are a child, as they are reliant on the love and nourishing from the people around them, and are still in the process of forming their own personalities, although with my child the personalities are very prevalent at an early age, well it is in my son at any rate, but they are in a sense during their childhood and early adulthood are still in the process of working out who they are, then that is where the Moon helps. Afterall, how you can you express yourself in the Sun way, as mentioned in the other thread, if you are not fully aware of who you are.

I like what was mentioned again, about how your needs are met, or not met, when you were a child will affect the way you behave, interact with others, what you find attractive in other people, and how your present yourself to others. I am 33, and I have had a hard job knowing who I am, but am finally coming closer to knowing who I am. My childhood was not pleasant, but there are others who may have had even worse childhood than what I have, but at the same time this affected me greatly. I am not saying that I am in anyway a misfit, or go around breaking into shops, houses, going for joyrides or any abberant behaviour, but I have a hard time trusting and relating to people. I have also had some self-confidence, self-esteem issues as well, and in some way can be seen as either being shy and timid or on the other hand a little bit rude and insensitive. I can come across as being uncaring, and whatever else, but that doesn't mean that I don't care or I am not concerned for other people, but I really don't know how to show sympathy, support or whatever. This I would probably say has something to do with not only my birth chart, but also the way that I was brought up, in other words what my childhood was like!

Bec

star-lover

wizzle:

Reflection and response is the primary action of the moon. Just as it reflects the sun's light in the sky, our astrological Moon is where we reflect our energies onto other people. In psychological terms, this mechanism is called projection. Those bits of us which are not consciously acceptable (either good or bad) are perceived in other people. You can often see people doing exactly what they most condemn, but it will be unconscious. If you point out this fact, the person is likely to become very defensive and emotional. This is an example of the Moon at work.

--------------

off topic a bit but had to share this
very interesting all this and ihave found it to be very true
in my case i project my positive which i dont consciously accept for some reason - i project moon conjunct jupiter in sagitarius onto others all the time - i tend to think the best of others and they always know better than me and put them on a pedestal as more knowledgable, more truthful, more noble etc etc and i always have to keep learning keep learning from them - whereas the fact is that alot of people i do this with are nothing of the sort

lol
thanks for that

p.s. conversely i know a moon square pluto person with mercury square mars in cancer -she always blames others for bullying and spouting without thinking and i laugh when i hear how she talks because its exactly the same way - i tell her to look in the mirror please

firecatpickles

I am sure this is significant:

Following your instructions above ("The Secondary Progression method [...] is based on one day equals one year"), I have used http://www.alabe.com to construct a secondary progression chart for my Sun-Moon relationship.

My Sun-sesquiquadrate-Moon begins three days after the new moon, April 20. I was born three days after a new moon.

I am going to have to quote you from the other thread here:

Dadsnook said:
Finally, the square and a half aspect of 135 degrees. As this portion of the Sun-Moon cycle is approach or is found in the natal chart, we know we are dealing with someone who symbolically has challenged the system, has had a time of getting away with questionable behavior, and now has to again make adjustments -- this time as if he/she had prior experience. At this phase or aspect we can perhaps assume that the chart owner has become aware that he/she needs to take on new tactics and find smarter, better ways to achieve things in the manner they have been using or are using.

At or around this time I can expect to be rewarded for my unorthodox ways in my professional career. But the advice is to find other ways to improve myself. What I take away from this is not to rest on my laurels. What worked last year for me may not work in the coming year.

Questionable behavior? Well, I have made it well known that I am not a doormat & I love to call bullshit --something that most teachers don't want to deal with. They prefer to lay low and not muddy the waters. I think as a novelty that won me respect this past school year, but be careful not to become one of those obnoxious people.

Any thoughts on what else I should expect?

How am I doing with my first astro lesson?

dadsnook2000

Doing fine

The phase relationships actually are a great way to get started in astrology. It can be so hard, and often un-rewarding, to try to understand and memorize 144 Sun-Moon sign combinations, never mind over 20,000 Sun-Moon-sign-house positions -- it just doesn't make sense. There are easier ways to understand those without ever having to memorize them.

Your next steps will be to grasp the meanings of the planets, then to understand how they can work together in combination -- when they have aspects to each other. The astrological planets are the meat of it all.

Reviewing the Planet Series is rewarding because each thread contains so much feedback from AT members -- its all real life, not just book stuff repeated in each book. Have fun. Dave

RohanMenon

Just a short note of appreciation

I just joined this forum a few hours ago and am deriving tremendous value from posts by dadsnook, Minderwiz and so many other talented astrologers.

Just saying Thank You

Rohan

Minderwiz

Nice to see this thread picked up again. I decided to add a couple of comment to Dave's very good points.

The phase relationships actually are a great way to get started in astrology. It can be so hard, and often un-rewarding, to try to understand and memorize 144 Sun-Moon sign combinations, never mind over 20,000 Sun-Moon-sign-house positions -- it just doesn't make sense. There are easier ways to understand those without ever having to memorize them.

This is really sound advice. The phase relationship of all planets to the Sun are key factors in interpretation, irrespective of sign or house (though these, of course, will modify and focus the interpretation). From the point where the planet rises out of the Sun (first sighting of the New Moon in this case) through to its setting into the Sun (Old Moon disappearing from view), the interpretation varies.

In the case of all the other planets, there's an additional factor in the phase relationship, the change from direct to retrograde motion and bak again, but these are still phase relationships (phasis in ancient Greek).

Dadsnook2000 said:
Your next steps will be to grasp the meanings of the planets, then to understand how they can work together in combination -- when they have aspects to each other. The astrological planets are the meat of it all.

Each planet has a range of basic meanings, this has been explored in earlier posts. Those meanings become refined, specific and focussed according to where it is and what it is doing in a particular chart. So the Moon can be associated with instinctive or, as it used to be called, animalistic responses. That is those which are not the product of a deliberate reasoning process. How, where and in what manner those responses are going to occur you derive from its phase relationship, its relationship if any to other planets and its (and their) position by sign and house (house is more important than sign).

Today we see an Astrology dominated by the Sun and its sign but originally the Sun was less dominant - People who were born at night were seen as being much more lunar in character. And the Moon rather than the Sun was the first indicator that you looked to.

In so far as there's any mythological element in Astrology, and there's far less than modern Astrologers believe, the God and Goddess and their relationship in keeping the Earth renewed and fertile is the only really useful one. That is, Astrology, was based on the Male/Female masculine/feminine relationship. That it isn't now, is something of a pity.

dadsnook2000

Surprised and pleased

I am surprised and pleased to see this posting, now over a decade ago when it was started, come back into play. It was fun to read forgotten words and views. They are valid. But, it is nice to become reacquainted with them again.

I have just completed the publishing of a second edition of my latest book, Personal Moon To Sun Returns 2. ISBN 978-1-945172-74-8. This book illustrates how the transiting Moon, when it conjoins or opposes the natal Sun, defines changes in our daily life. The charts show how to re-balance what has become unbalanced. The transiting Moon shows changes, the natal Sun shows established, adult lifestyle, character and intent. This methodology is the most exciting and easy to use predictive tool that I have come across in 45 years of study and practice.

I am presently trying to set up a "Look Inside the Book" feature with Amazon so that those interested can look at a portion of the book, as well as search for specific references, before deciding on the purchase of the book. The press kits to the reviewers will go out tomorrow. My blog site, www.ninthhouse.wordpress.com has almost three years of archives on the use of Moon-to-Sun Returns, nine years of archives on other methods of charting and interpretation. Pluss essays, etc. I don't advertise my stuff as a rule, but this book has been a personal achievement of some significance for me and I am very proud of it.

CosmicBeing

I been watching my own moon transit and I have learned a lot from it. Even though it's usual subtle stuff. I have notice a hormone related incident with the moon when it transits a specific house of mine.