Your Most Readable Deck

GlitterNova

Not your favorite deck, not your prettiest deck, but simply your most readable deck(s). I ask because I'm still trying to figure out what makes a deck readable for me, and I'd love to hear your examples.

teawoman

At the moment, Tarot Nova, which is surprisingly full of ideas. And Siamese Tarot, a RWS clone but more interesting than the original. This could all change tomorrow!

RiverRunsDeep

Good question! For me, it is the Wild Unknown. When I pull a card or look at a spread with this deck, the meanings are readily apparent and I can often see stories in the images or patterns that the images create. I'm trying to work my way through all of my decks, but this is the one I always come back to when I want access to a quick, powerful message.

Laura Borealis

The Fey Tarot. I pick up so much from details in the scenes, faces and body language, the colors. The creators put a lot of thought into it, too. I'd recommend it to anyone even if they don't normally like fairy decks.

hedface

For some unfathomable reason, my most readable deck is the Ghosts and Spirits tarot by Lisa Hunt. I wouldn't have expected that it would become the One.

Nemia

For me, it's still the Thoth, my first deck and the one I know best. The Morgan Greer is a close second.

rwcarter

Strangely enough, I think I'd say the Garden of Priapus/Priapo. Since the LWB is in Italian (but I have gone ahead and translated it with the help of Google Translate and have yet to use my translation) and the imagery is VERY nonstandard (to say the least!), I'm forced to read the images themselves to get my interpretations. And in every reading, it always gives me at least one WTF card that forces me to stretch my tarot muscles in new and different ways.

The RWS is also very readable for me because the images are ingrained in my mind after almost 25 years of working with tarot (even when I didn't necessarily work with the RWS).

Rodney

mad as a hatter

I can't narrow it down to one, so I'll list three as my three most readable.

Mark McElroy's Bright Idea Deck was the first Tarot deck I bought, and it was designed to be read right out of the box, even for the Tarot neophyte. Every card has pictures of people -- contemporary people often dressed in business attire -- doing things. The pictures are line drawings with bright colors, so I can always tell what's going on. There are keywords, which I generally ignore.

When I saw the first images from Patrick Valenza's Deviant Moon Tarot, I knew I had to have that deck. I connected with the deck immediately and it has not let me down. Now I use the borderless edition. The figures have kind of a surreal, cubist cartoony look, which are expressive in a way that realistically proportioned figures cannot be.

When I saw the Alexander Daniloff Tarot, I responded to it similarly to the Deviant Moon. It seems a fusion of modern cartoon art and the sacred art of the Renaissance.

So, what do these have in common that makes them especially readable (for me)? The cartoon art makes them all easy to see without straining my eyes. I always know exactly what the depicted figures are doing. Which brings me to the second characteristic, that the cards have scenes of people doing things. Each card could be the illustration to a story. Finally, each deck shows a variety of different activities. In the Deviant Moon and Daniloff Tarots, they are closely derived from the RWS system. In the Bright Idea Deck, the relationship between that and other Tarot systems is less apparent, but it is still there.

skyfiery

Mine would be the Fairy Lights and the Prisma Visions. I haven't figured out why they're so readable to me (especially since the Light Visions, counterpart of the Prisma Visions, reads less easily but it's not about the colors), but the messages flow easily, clearly, and readily for me.

jillkite

RWS

Gives so many clues to the energies that each card is depicting. The illustrations are very clear. The colours also give a lot of information. When people are there their facial expressions and body language are very informative.

It's also the deck that I have the most experience with, so that of course, helps too.