Deviant Moon

Achlys

I'm surprised at people calling this deck brutal.
It's more straightforward, but when I think of something as brutal, I think of it as being overly harsh or cruel. I haven't experienced that at all with this deck.

delinfrey

Achlys - I never got the vibe before. But yesterday and this morning, it was downright cruel. Honestly I even felt upset.

Or maybe I have just a hard time accepting some truths... :)

CharlotteK

I have this deck and I described it in the "what deck are you using" thread as giving me brutal readings. By that I meant uncompromisingly to the point readings. Not overly harsh just no soft edges at all. There is nothing gentle or nurturing about the deck though it's not a negative deck. I was working with the Secret Tarot last week and boy that is one moody, miserable deck. Deviant Moon is quirkily and humorously dark, it's sideshow grotesque with a beating human heart and soul. It just doesn't give you the soft focus treatment some other decks give. After a few weeks of using it I went back to Anna K, which for me is another plain speaking deck (and my ultimate 'go to') but it has a softer tone. I really like Deviant Moon, I'm very glad I have it. It has a lot of depth and I'll definitely work with it again soon.

RiverRunsDeep

...thanks for the comments....wait until you meet the "Sister"

Ohmigod, when? When, when, when, when???? :D:D

Yes, this deck can be brutal and cruel, but more in a "cruel to be kind" way. Reminds me of my grandma, who had a harsh way of expressing things, but had my best interests at heart.

FLizarraga

The most interesting thing about this deck for me is how it grows on you. In the beginning I found it strange and, yes, a bit creepy, though I do love creepy anyway. But once you start really working with the images you start seeing the humor that permeates it. It's a dark, twisted, Monty-Pythonesque sort of humor, but it's all over the place. Now it gives me the giggles every time.

I'm eager to pair it in one of my two-deck spreads with the Magical Forest tarot. Weird, whimsical "moonies" on one side, and weird, whimsical bunnies on the other. I see the possibility of a real synergy there.

Why oh why did I have to come to this thread? Now I won't be able to sleep tonight... 😰😰😰😰😰😰😰