Mary El Tarot - Page of Cups

Bat Chicken

http://www.mary-el.com/cups3.html

I have always been attracted to this gentle Page – Earth of Water. The back of the child’s head swims the tattoo of a fish – a carp/koi? This fish on the child’s head could be the Ancient Egyptian fish goddess Hat Mehit:

Wikipedia said:
Hatmehit, or Hatmehyt in the ancient Egyptian religion was a fish-goddess in the area around the delta city of Per-banebdjedet, Mendes. In ancient Egyptian art Hatmehit was depicted either as a fish, or a woman with a fish emblem or crown on her head. She was a goddess of life and protection.
Her name translates as Foremost of Fish or Chief of Fish. She may have some connection to Hathor, one of the oldest deities of Egypt who also went by the name Mehit, meaning great flood. This may possibly be due to being seen as a remnant of the primal waters of creation from which all things arose.

It is said that this Nile carp ate the phallus of Osiris and that fish were the guides for Ra’s solar boat warning of serpents (Apep – god of chaos and darkness) in the Underworld.

The Water symbolism in this card is rich. The child seems to be standing in front of a sail that reminds me of the Egyptian Fallukah that sails up and down the Nile to this day. The idea of the ‘fish child’ guiding the boat through the Unconscious is one that appeals to me. A journey is about to begin – journey through our own Underworld.

I found this interesting tidbit suggesting the koi transforms into the water dragon at the end of its courageous journey

[url said:
http://www.everything-ponds.com/koi-symbolism.html][/url] Dragon's Gate on Yellow River

According to Chinese legend, there was a place called Dragon's Gate at the top of a large waterfall on Yellow River. Carp would swim up the river, against the current to reach the base of the waterfall. Although many would try, only a few were brave and able enough to attempt the final leap up the waterfall. It was said that if a carp was able to complete the journey through Dragon's Gate at the top of the falls, then it would be transformed into a powerful dragon. In Chinese culture, the dragon is a symbol of great power. The story symbolizes that anybody who is able to persevere through great trials can accomplish their highest goals to become great.