Dust II Onyx

rylla

At a second look it has a primitive and powerful energy (thank you for turning my attention in that direction DarkYarns). It's a very powerful deck (even Mary-el scares me a bit - but I also love that deck). Backed! Keep my fingers crossed!

rylla

A lovely AT member helped me put my fingers on what I couldn't: (it's not negative, it's not scary) it's harsh! When she mentioned this to me I said bingo! that's it! That's the word I was looking for.

Basically the images (I mean the faces) are just harsh. Than mine or other people's REACTION to it can vary (negative, scary, "beginning of the world''). Glad I cleared this for myself :) (now I just have to decide what harshness would mean to me in those images).

rylla

She has a new card posted on her facebook, the Page of cups:

https://www.facebook.com/dust2onyx/

I really like this card. It seems to me that her artistic style evolved meanwhile (which was very good to begin with) and the image don't remind me of voodoo like those in the major arcana.

ETA by using the word "voodoo" I don't intend to offend anyone. Especially that all I know about it is from horror movies (like the American horror movie with the same name, 1995) so it scares me. I recognize it's my ignorance but I am not really interested in finding out more.
(ha, ha - I imagine some people think of Transylvania that it's a region with vampires :) -since many people heard of Transylvania only related to vampires - I, personally, haven't seen any :):):)

staticfuzz

I don't have the money for this one right now but the art is beautiful, it has a really special magical quality to it that I think is perfect for tarot, I like the look of the minors, and I really really hope this gets funded so I can pick a copy up in the future.

alainaobrien

Bumping because this deck is gorgeous and neeeeeeds to be funded!

KhonsuMes

I just looked in at the site and the new minors (several of the Cups) are terrific.
Also, if you back the project you get to vote on the Card Backs - there are two options. I'm for #1. Anyone else notice that update?

rylla

It might help her campaign if she'd put up more cards on Kickstarter. Some of the Court Cards are on her facebook. But not everyone goes to her facebook (I guess it's checked regularly by those people who already backed the project :)). For a successful sell of a product you have to show it :). I like the details on the sword in the King of Sword card. Very nice touch! But I would really like to see at least a card from Wands, Pentacles, so on. In order to make a educated decision, one needs to see a project as a whole (some representative cards from majors, minors, court cards) to realise how it would work as a deck. After all we are buying a tarot deck not just for the artwork (they can be purchased separately). If you buy a deck you want it to work as a tarot deck - for collectors it could be different but not much). 6 days to go and I haven't really decided if I want this deck or not. To see an 8 of Cups, 9 of Sword, 5 of wands etc would be helpful!

JylliM

I find that REALLY worrying in you, rylla. The only "dark" thing I see in it is racial - skin colouring - which is NOT in itself dark, after all.

Rylla, I (and I assume most others) did not jump to the conclusion that you were being racist just because you got a certain vibe from this deck. It's quite a stretch to make that assumption.

rylla

Rylla, I (and I assume most others) did not jump to the conclusion that you were being racist just because you got a certain vibe from this deck. It's quite a stretch to make that assumption.

Thank you JylliM (and to others who think in a same way).
Gregory and I are not strangers and I'm sure she did not mean any harm - perhaps she's the only one on AT who felt that she could afford saying something like that to me knowing that I won't feel offended (me being aware of her friendly intentions).

I left a comment on the artist's facebook that if she'd post more cards on the kickstarter that would bust her campaign. There are Only 6 days left...

gregory

No - I didn't meant that; I was just concerned for a moment that others might look on what you'd said that way. The skin tone is (I assume) what the melanin in the KS description refers to, and itis what makes the colouring darker than some - but i cannot see the IMAGES as such as dark, and you being you (yes, Jylli, we know one another !) I found it hard to accept that you couldn't see past that.

Sorry - I'm on capped internet here and haven't been back to the thread for a few days. I do hope it gets funded - I'm a backer.

I wish there were more cards on KS; I think it woud help - I am one of many who eschews Fakebook.