Question about Joie de Vivre King of Cups

Grizabella

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why the King of Cups in the Joie de Vivre deck is wearing a dress. I've been using the deck a lot lately and I always forget to try to find out that mystery so I thought maybe others might know or have a guess. :)

AnemoneRosie

Being a cup he's in touch with his feminine side?

Grizabella

Being a cup he's in touch with his feminine side?

That's the only thing I could come up with, really.

It might be useful, however, if you needed a significator for a transgendered person. One of my daughter's is transgendered, so I'm serious here---it really could be used for that.

Or maybe it might signify someone who cross dresses.

I'm walking a fine line here, though. I'm adamantly opposed to trying to find out if someone is gay or lesbian with the cards and these suggestions of mine do kind of verge into that territory, I think. There would be very rare instances where I'd read this King that way in an actual reading. And above all, I'd never specifically and purposely ask the cards to try to find out whether a man is gay and effeminate or transgendered or cross dresses or anything like that.

Achlys

Personally, I see it more as a ceremonial robe, especially with the crown and cauldron-like bowl he's holding.
But I do see how it can also be taken to indicate cross-dressing or femininity, although I feel like that would be a rare instance in a specific context.

Grizabella

Personally, I see it more as a ceremonial robe, especially with the crown and cauldron-like bowl he's holding.
But I do see how it can also be taken to indicate cross-dressing or femininity, although I feel like that would be a rare instance in a specific context.

Good thought! I hadn't thought of a ceremonial robe.

Since it's a fantasy deck, it can mean almost anything, I think. In his fantasy kingdom, that's what a King of Cups traditionally wears. :)