Chicago Tarot/Occult

Sztar

Hello!

My husband and I recently moved to Chicago with our son, and I'm interested in learning which occult shops are best and whether there's any info I can get about the Chicago tarot/occult community.

Past: The area we moved from historically has a lot of occult leanings. That said, while I was very Pagan-centric for years, I took a hiatus for a number of years and declared myself an Atheist. As a result, by the time we moved across the country I had become a closet tarot reader/ritual practitioner, and many of the people I know well back home don't know all that much about my former life as tarot reading Pagan! My oldest friends still think of me as someone who leans toward the occult, but a lot of my newer friends (people I've met in the last 10 years) have only a periphery understanding of that side of me.

Present: What I'm hoping for now that we've moved halfway across the country is that I can strike some kind of a balance. I'm no longer a practicing Wiccan and haven't been for many years, but at at the same time, I'm not really an Atheist. I tend to think of myself as sort of a "Pagan Atheist" if that makes sense. By that I mean someone who generally interprets the world through science, but at the same time recognizes that there's a lot we don't know and leans heavily toward the occult. I perform rituals (when I have time), follow moon phases, observe the Wheel of the Year, and read tarot, but I'm not a hardcore Wiccan or Pagan.

Future: Does anyone have any advice they can give me about the Chicago Pagan/tarot scene? I'm a professional by day and heavy metal/punk rock person by night--at least I used to be before I had a kid. (We don't get out as much as we used to!) Let me know if you have any advice for someone like me.

We're loving Chicago and are so glad we made this move. Can't wait to see what the future might hold!

violetdaisy

I don't know about Chicago specifically - but the only 2 places near where I live that have pagan or occult activities (and it's odd because the area with mediums and psychics is heavily Christian and the place that has pagan meetings really doesn't cater too much ch to the occult - just more of a nature-based religion) is the local Unitarian Universalist church (has a pagan group before main service) and camp Chesterfield (a whole community of psychics, mediums etc. - many with businesses out of their homes located at the site).

Anyhow, it wouldn't hurt to try that type of "church" - our local one accepts everyone - atheists, monotheists, polytheists, the services are quite varied.

And....I don't normally "do church"

Indiana is not very liberal lol. Illinois is probably better.

Sztar

Thanks! Even though it's not necessarily specific to Chicago, that's really good advice. Why didn't I think of that? LOL

I had some friends years ago that we're involved in the Unitarian Church, and they were more agnostic leaning, which is really kind of what I'm looking for. I don't necessarily want to join a "church" or a "circle," but I want to meet open-minded people who will enrich my view of the world.

And yes, while Illinois is nowhere close to as liberal as where I come from, I assume it's a tad more liberal than Indiana. :)

Thanks for the great advice! I will look up the Unitarians.

Tarot4Change

I'm going to miss some stuff about the current "scene" since I've been out of it for so long, but there are some worthwhile mentions that may lead you to more things of interest if you wanted to explore them:

1. Alchemy Arts is by far one of the best occult stores for a whole range of supplies. I'm sure the awesome people here know quite a bit about the goings-on in the area.

2. The Occult Bookstore is a really interesting place to go and check out. As you can imagine, they have a ton of books ranging from divination to religion, really just about anything. It's a unique place that has an energy unlike any other kind of shop relating to the occult.

3. Brotherhood of the Phoenix "is a neo-pagan order for Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender men who love men. We celebrate the Spirit of the Divine within and build community with men who seek positive transformation of self, community and the world. Together we work to weave the magick that changes lives." While the group may not be what you're looking for, their website has some good information about gatherings and from the members I met back in the day, are very helpful and knowledgeable about the occult community as well. They can be a great resource and are a great group of guys!

4. NW Suburbs Tarot Group While, I've never attended a meeting, they're the longest lasting and most easily found group regarding tarot specific activities. Some of the members are on here as well and from what I've seen, they're also a great group of people.

5. (ETA) World Tree Healing My friend actually just told me about this place. I've never been there but from the looks of it, they have all sorts of readings and healing sessions, classes, and other things.

Hope that helps; if I think of anything else, I'll let you know :)

hedface

Indiana is not very liberal lol. Illinois is probably better.
I live in Indiana as well! I don't know if you're anywhere near Tippecanoe, but Lafayette has an occult store called Castlebrooks. It's not very big, but it has the basics for anything you might need. They also have Pagan meetups at the beginning of each month. There are whispers of a new coven forming *le gasp*! Haha.

I've never been to Chesterfield, but my fiance's mother swears by it. It's always sounded a little....skeevy to me.

As for the original question, I second the suggestion of the Universal Unitarian Church. I have Pagan, Wiccan, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist, Christian, even Jewish friends who love it. The community (in general) is incredibly accepting and may just be exactly what you're looking for, Sztar!

MystikalSharyl

Which part of Chicago land?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Debra

The NW suburbs group is our Nicky. .... she's a doll!

nicky

The NW suburbs group is our Nicky. .... she's a doll!

*hands Debra $20*

Welcome to Chicagoland Sztar!
If we would ever get spring this year I am sure you will love it :)

Tarot4Change mentioned some great resources - without knowing what part of the area you are at...if you are south suburbs Witchy Wearables is a good store and they know what is happening in that direction. Alchemy is on the north side.. The Occult Bookstore is more in the middle and on the southside there is Augustine's near Sox park.

Second Sunday Tarot meets the ...wait for it....second Sunday of every month :)
We are in the northwest suburb of Barrington and meet in a café very close to the highway.

I know you will love Chicago and hope to see you at our meeting some Sunday !

Ace

I am not very in touch with the Pagan community in Chicago anymore. But I know there is some Meetup.com groups that are pagan. You might check them out. (It is free to join Meetup and any meetup, they may charge dues based on what the organizer wants.)

And check out the Occult Bookstore. 1164 N Milwaukee Ave in Chicago. Some others are around also, but I don't know most of them.

Is the Monthly Aspectarian still being printed? I saw some listings for it on the internet, but not if it actually EXISTS anymore.

I am in Harwood Heights (Just west of the city on the Northwest side) lets get together some time!
barb

starlightexp

What area are you living in? I live in the Evanston area, that's in the northwest part of the Chicago area. We totally should meet for coffee or tea and I can help get you to know the area. If we are close enough I can even pic you up for tarot days.
Welcome to the land of food and festivals.