small printing & packaging

Patter Hi hope you don't mind if I add to this :*

Can anyone recommend any small run printing & packaging Co's
for selfpublishing? to add to this list and help others out

http://www.tarotworld.com/
I've tried out Carta Mundi but the prices are a bit too high

Thanks

HudsonGray

Lo Scarabeo doesn't have a submission guidelines page at all. Bummer.

Astra

This got me started on a web search, and I have one major page to add here: http://www.guntheranderson.com/cards/manuf.htm

This is a compendium of, well, stuff, and goes on and on - so far I've located a couple of potential printers, and I'm only on "D".

Have fun

Page

Astra that's a very good link, however some time ago I contacted all of printers and only 3 got back to me!!! The good thing was that the people that I was dealing with was nice and I've come cross many printers that will give you all the jargon just to rip you off. If you find a good printer hang on to them tight! the relationship is very important + they are no different than car machanics.

Ausgold Playing Cards
1. Preferred size 63 x 89 mm
2. At the moment we do a maximum of 54 cards per deck
3. We can print up to 6 colours
4. Custom tuck-box available or alternative of clear soft plastic tuck-box
5. Minimum quantity run - 1500.
6. Require artwork to be in Vector Graphics format in Adobe Illustrator
10.0 or Quark 4.0. At the very minimum, high resolution PDF.
------------
piatnick.com
We have adjusted some details due to availability and production standards.
5.000 decks
quality: 360 g (305 g would be too thin for the cardsize)
size of cards: 70 x 125 mm
printing: 4 + 4 colours
varnish: both sides
cellosleeve
tuckbox: 4 colours
Fixcost for adaption of your documentation to our production standards: Euro 700,--
Price per deck ex works: Euro 3,15
_-----------
Acecard
Minimum needs to be 3000 decks and the price shall be US $-2.85 per deck
with all the specifications required by you. Shipping by sea shall be
another 20 cents per deck.

baba-prague

I think I'd better say before someone else does that we are also effectively a "start-up" publisher:

www.magic-realism.com

We have some plans for books as well as decks and deck sets. However, we are in the very early days and so I have to say we don't really want submissions as yet, we wouldn't be able to devote enough time to deal with them properly - and to get work submitted and not be able to respond properly would just make me feel really bad. We're pretty much up to our ears with plans for the next 18 months in any case. One day I hope we will be open for submissions :) but it may be ages.

But- I add our name for completeness.

By the way, the costs above are interesting. I think the problem in making the choice of printer is often quality. For example, some Piatnik decks are good quality, some honestly are not so great(purely in terms of printing). It's like buying anything - ask some questions about quality before making a decision!

Oh - I think for clarification I should be clear that we are a publisher, not a printer. We work with two printers here in Prague. They would, I'm sure, print for other people (but they don't have websites - we have told them they should have :) ) but we don't print ourselves (well, except one-off prints).

rota

Just so we don't overlook possibilities among the printers who do job printing OTHER THAN tarot card or playing card printing, how about businesses like this one:
http://www.gamesandprint.co.uk/gpgames.htm
They seem to do printing for every sort of card game, collectible and whatnot under the sun.
I'll bet you there are at least one of these in every large town - the kind of place that makes CD inserts, magazine covers, gift boxes and the like. You may have to do a little education before they fully understand what you're after, but it might be the right kind of printer for you.

Lady Eclipse

Hi,

Nice list. When I did a search on the web last year for printers/publishers there were quite a few that came up. I'll have to look to see if I can find my list to add to this one.

Joy to you,
Maralee

Astra

I'm currently talking to a company in Michigan called DeLano Service - http://www.delanoservice.com . My initial impressions are very good - their mailer on card and game production is clear, complete, and really well done. Minimum run is 1,000, and you can specify any size or number of cards, as well as the type of box or shrink wrap. What intrigues me most, for the sake of my own available time, is that they will store and ship the final product for you on order. I'll keep people posted as I go along.