Morgan Greer Study

Little Baron

Hi Everyone

As I have stated in other threads, I am very much enjoying taking part in Pheonix Rising's Cartomancy threads, and even know I have shelved many of my tarot decks, I decided to keep just one out. Due to the playing cards being unillustrated, I decided to keep an illustrated deck on my desk with me and I chose the Morgan Greer.

My mother bought me this deck many years ago so it is very special to me. It also gives very accurate readings.

I am very much enjoying using it but I admit that I have exausted what threads there are about it here. There seems to be so much more left to discover - how it differs from the RWS and how it compares, the colouring, the courts, the extras.

I was talking to Emily this morning about a study group. To both of our knowledge, one has not been set up before. Because the Morgan Greer is a nicely established and popular deck, I thought maybe now was a good time to test the water.

Anyone interested?

LB

WalesWoman

Yes, I would like to get into this deck more deeply. It seems like the companion book for it is ok, but so much is left "hanging", like the symbolism of the headgear for one thing. I've always wished that Morgan and Greer would have written their meanings and reasons for this deck because it leaves so much room for interpretation or blank moments. Of course that may be why they didn't, so we would fill in the gaps ourselves.

Emily

I'd be interested too LittleBuddha :)

I've been using this deck for quite a while now and I'm always interested in exploring the different aspects of the cards. :)

Little Baron

Thank you very much Waleswoman and Emily, for responding.

I do not have the companion book. When I got the deck five or so years ago, I wasn't connected to the internet, so was unaware that one even existed. I bought it on its own.

I would be very happy to study the Morgan Greer; many on the boards recommend it and it seems to be a primary reading and study deck for a lot of people. It would be great to have you both on board, since you both have a lot more experience with the deck and I am sure, can teach others a lot, as you continue to learn yourselves.

How would you like a study group for the Morgan Greer to be? How would you like it structured? Does it need to be structured at all?
I think it would be nice to study single cards and occasionally, combinations - the colours here merge between each other so nicely - have you ever laid the 'Three of Swords' right above the 'Two of Swords'? They almost merge together; that woman doesn't have a clue what is hanging in the air right above her, lol.
Also, other features would be interesting - I have already seen threads about favourite cards - that kind of stuff can be included.
The courts in this deck are so different and often hard for people to interpret generally - maybe small (or large) discussions on the court families and how they react with each other is another option - maybe even a place to start, rather than taking the first card and working through.

Anyway ... lets see if some more want to join in and we can have a go at starting something up.

Kind regards

LB

Little Baron

I have the Greer book about Tarot Courts. I have only skimmed it but it has many exercises. Maybe some of them could be used. I don't know how useful they are. Has anyone here used it in conjunction with the Morgan Greer?

LB

Emily

Hi LittleBuddha,

I don't have that book yet although it is on my wishlist - the Courts are cards that I always seem to have trouble with. Sometimes I can't tell whether they represent actual people in a reading, or someone who is around the querent or if its the actual atributes of the Court card that are needed.

I do love the Courts of the Morgan Greer though - think its because of the eye colours. :)

Sulis

Count me in too.

I'm notoriously bad at sicking with study groups but I love this deck and will contribute as much as I can.

I don't mind doing an index thread either :)

Love

Sulis xx

Emily

I think it would be nice too to study individual cards - and then the combinations. Some of the study groups start off with the Majors and then work their way through but then it seems like the Minors get left until last. Maybe starting from the Aces through to the Courts, then the Majors might work?

I'm off to find my copy of the book out - I've already been caught out with the seed head on the Cup Ace - I know I've seen it before but it doesn't look like the seed head of the waterlilly, but it could be lol - Want to see if it gets mentioned in the book.

Sulis

I agree with Emily; I think starting with the minor arcana would be a good thing. I'm thoroughly enjoying the DruidCraft study group and with that one we're doing the courts first.

I'm looking forward to hearing what those of you who have the book have to say about some of the symbolism used.

I remember a very interesting thread where we discussed the mad looking headgear in this deck :)

Here it is: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=19594&highlight=morgan+greer+headgear

Love

Sulis xx

Little Baron

Hi Sulis - glad to have you in the group - an index list would be great!

I think we could really get a lot of stuff out of studying the Morgan Greer ... it is such a 'meaty' deck, lol.

We can all work together; I could start by posting some of the court exercises from Greer's book ... others can begin with individual cards ... do them in whatever order comes up ... keep it nice and casual so that it doesn't become a chore and so that we enjoy it and get as much out of it as possible.

I am also interested in what light can be shed on the symbolism from the book.

LB