Why the Noblet?

cjxtypes

I've noticed while reading through many threads that a lot of people really like the Jean Noblet Tarot and with that I recently purchased a deck. I'm feeling a little meh and underwhelmed about it. I don't dislike it at all, its certainly not that.. but aside from its historical context, I was wondering what others find so appealing? Perhaps I'm over looking something? Perhaps when I can kill the sharp corners that keep biting me.... I'll warm a little more to it. :)

Thanks,
Cindy

3ill.yazi

By my understanding, it is one of the earliest of the Tdm style --please correct me, anyone-- and it is favored by at least two popular authors of books on the TdM.

I've considered getting a deck because of the oldness factor, but probably won't because of cash shortage.

The images have a certain appeal, but some of them also put me off. Like the Justice, with the bugeyes and clementine breasts.

I'm warming to my Heron TdM, despite the fact that some of the faces are very faded. I suspect my next deck might be the CDB or grimaud or Jodo.

Or the Noblet.

Richard

I've noticed while reading through many threads that a lot of people really like the Jean Noblet Tarot and with that I recently purchased a deck. I'm feeling a little meh and underwhelmed about it. I don't dislike it at all, its certainly not that.. but aside from its historical context, I was wondering what others find so appealing? Perhaps I'm over looking something?......
The Noblet is just enjoying a temporary wave of fashionability/trendiness. It will pass; popularity is fickle.

cjxtypes

I have CBD and I like that one alot. I was kind of looking for another that had some antiquity to it and so with all the reviews and high prasir of the Noblet I went with thay one. It does have a certain w quirky charm to it but ... the Star looks man-ish. . or at least a very thick lady. The World. . like Fabio. The Empress looks miserable. . I just dont know what I really think of it. I like the size.

Richard

The Dodal is another really old deck, which is even quirkier than the Noblet, and it also is very fashionable. Maybe 'quirky' is the key to these decks' popularity, a reaction to the more refined imagery of the Conver reconstructions, such as the CBD.

The older decks are fascinating from the historical standpoint, but for a Tarot deck to really use, I appreciate having images that are easy on the eyes, such as the ISIS. Maybe it is only a personal idiosyncrasy, but I much prefer being distracted by beauty than by quirkiness. :)

cjxtypes

Yes I seen the Dodal. I really liked that one and and was boarderline on getting it over Noblet. YES it does have its own brand of unique quirkiness. I thought about that one seriously but I heard it was rather large for a reading deck. :/ I still may gift it to myself over the holidays. :)

cjxtypes

.. funny I couldn't stand the Dodal at first. Couldn't get over the crazy eyes! Haha.. but the more I seen it the more it warmed on me and charmed me. I guess I was hoping the Noblet would do the same. So far not so...

Philippe

I appreciate the court cards by Noblet in the 52 playing cards deck but not the awkward drawing of the tarot by Flornoy with its garish and childish colors.

cjxtypes

Im thinking it may be just the coloring that is putting me off. Its just kind of drab for my personal taste. Probably the antique off white background is dimishing the color palette. Again its just personal taste Im sure. I will have to keep a look out for some facsimile decks maybe in the future.

Yves Le Marseillais

Old Tarot decks are differents and add informations

Hello all,

I agree that NobletTarot as some old historical Tarots decks has some strange drawing, lines and sometimes colors.

But many amatores don't know (yet) large variety of Tarot of Marseille pattern (classified type I or type II).
In fact many of this old decks have interesting details, lacks or additions, changes in colors, additional important details.
That's why I have decided to publish some of them like Pierre Madenié, François Chosson.
Three more will be published in 2015..... Register on my site to be informed by a Newsletter.

I have put many images of one tenth of them on my website:

http://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/historic_tarots_gallery.

Just see some of them and understand that one can't fully understand Tarot by ignoring this tarots.

I also like design and pure lines but we have to see this decks prior to make up our decision about how and why tarot became what it is now.

Charm and old lines of old tarots may help us to enter in symphaty with their sense no ?

Salutations from Marseille City

Yves