21 ways - Study Group - Discussion thread

LixiPixi

I bought the book today - took two stores to find and when I did, there was only one available, so I guess it was meant to be for me! YAY!! I'll be using my Bruegel Tarot deck. This has been a very "fiesty" deck for me (as I like to call it), very "talkative" and has tons of imagry. I think it will be PERFECT for this study! I've read through the beginning chapters and have pulled my three cards: The Moon, 4 of Cups, The Stars. I find this very exciting and yet curious at the same time. The Moon is one of my any-deck favorites; the 4 of Cups is very representative of myself; and the Star has always been one that leaves me feeling "blank/not sure of its message." So how do I choose which card to use????

I love the curious imagry in the 4 of Cups. There are several people that seem to be utilizing a "food line" with various expressions. Not to mention the winter theme/snow on the roof that seems so EXACT to my current atmosphere/surroundings.

The Star has captured me with the ship anchor that she's standing on. Not to mention the fact that she is happily NOT topless like usual ;)

The Moon has great imagry; symbols that cause thought; and a card that has always been a favorite of mine.

I've also taken note of the top card when I first pulled the deck out of the box: 4 of Pentacles. I feel as though this is a significant card because it was the first one brought to my attention with this "study" in mind. It also has a very curious image of several people using their index finger to point towards various interests. I like this card. It leaves me curious when simply glancing at it to know what each of them are thinking. But because I didn't pull it in the 3-card draw with the initial question imposed for this study, I'm not sure if it's the one that I should choose.

Needless to say.....

I've decided to "sleep" on these four cards tonight before making my decision which one to use. The full moon may .....wait......would The Moon card be my best choice on the very same night as a Full Moon????

********thinking*********

I will stick to sleeping on the four cards before me and make my decision in the morning. With that, I'll post my Step One exercise.....

I am SOOOO looking forward to this Study Group! :D

LP~

tarot4fun

I have to say how GLAD I am that I got Mary Greer's book _21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card. :)

coyoteblack

so looking forward to having new people it takes some work but man it is fun in a group setting

dadsnook2000

New participants, what we are likely to do next.

It is good to continually see new people join our study group. The "catching up" process is not a problem -- in fact, it is a blessing. As new participants move through earlier steps, it brings those steps to the top of the listings and back into our awareness. It is highly beneficial to me to read those writings as I then review those steps and see how future-current steps relate to them and build upon them.

Just today, at Step 13, we started to review symbols. We had addressed metaphors awhile back, metaphors include groups of symbols. By breaking down the larger schemes into small bits we find that the detail has great meaning not only for the cards in general and for a specific chosen card, but that we can see the symbols operating in our daily life. THIS IS DYNAMITE STUFF!

As Mary Greer's book makes the tarot more personally meaningful to us, we gain great insights into ourselves and the cards we use. We could just read the book and say "that's nice." Doing so cheats us of the direct experience that those in study group so much enjoy. Life is not a spectator sport, and neither is the Tarot.

If you want to see why so many of us are finding so much in this exercise, why not join us. Its not too late. There is no fixed deadline. It has been my approach to introduce a new step every week or so. This week it was a full 8 days since the last step. Sometime later in the summer we will start these steps all over again starting at the ADEPT level and not the Apprentice level.
At that point it may be more work to start fresh, so it is clearly a good time to join the study group. Dave

coyoteblack

Kalymura said:
Awaiting The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer.

Got this one cheap on eBay, and really looking forward to reading it - especially for the minor arcana, where reversal descriptions in the LWBs seem to lack.

I'm actually hunting for Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card, but haven't found one that quite fits my budget yet... at least not until pay day. >:} (It's so easy to spend a lot.) So, reversal study it is!

the 21 ways book is a lot of work but well worth it. we have a study group here that you can get through some of the group sans book to see if you like it.

Kalymura

coyoteblack said:
the 21 ways book is a lot of work but well worth it. we have a study group here that you can get through some of the group sans book to see if you like it.

Oh yes, I've seen it, thank you! Only, I wasn't sure whether it would be alright to join sans book, especially as you're all well advanced (or even finished) with your journeys. Is there a general thread I can ask questions to, or should I go to step one? -- I was wondering whether you start again, and go through the entire twenty-one steps with each card separately (I know you have to choose one, at the beginning).

coyoteblack

Kalimera said:
Oh yes, I've seen it, thank you! Only, I wasn't sure whether it would be alright to join sans book, especially as you're all well advanced (or even finished) with your journeys. Is there a general thread I can ask questions to, or should I go to step one? -- I was wondering whether you start again, and go through the entire twenty-one steps with each card separately (I know you have to choose one, at the beginning).

we are down with the apprentice level but wont start the adept level for a month or so. Just join in the beginning a lot of people did it that way including my self, and bought the book latter. The book becomes real important when we get to the numbers and elements you need her appendix.

Kalymura

That's great; thanks, coyote. I just need to decide which deck to go ahead with now!

coyoteblack

Kalymura said:
That's great; thanks, coyote. I just need to decide which deck to go ahead with now!

For my self I picked a deck I liked but had a hard time getting to know. maybe that will work for you as well .

Kalymura

coyoteblack said:
For my self I picked a deck I liked but had a hard time getting to know. maybe that will work for you as well .

That'd be the Druidcraft, for me, then. Beautiful artwork and powerful images, but I can't even remember what the Fool looks like - it's been so long since I shuffled it. It would be good to get to know it better... and I know you have a separate study forum for that deck too, which I haven't yet begun to read.

:) Cool, thanks!