21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- step FOUR

Sheri

21 Ways - Step Four

Step Four - International Icon, 5 of Wands

He was a loner. Always had been. Every time in the past, there was at least a little hope that this time would be different. He would at last have found the place where he belonged. The place he could call home. The place he would feel comfortable. Now, there is no hope, just the journey and the motions that it entails.

The sounds of wood clicking against itself breaks the ringing silence. He looks around to see where the sound is coming from. Ah, on the hill. He makes his way there. He knows he will join in, if only for a little while.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am thinking about my feet - how they don't hurt anymore - and how walking is supposed to be the perfect exercise. I have come a long way since starting this journey. I am traveling in a land of images and colors. There is no spoken language...only images and colors. I have learned that ideas are different colors - I have learned alot, and as white is the absence of ideas here, I have turned black from the presence of many diverse ideas. They really are infinite. I am traveling alone. It's a bummer sometimes. It is nice to share and discuss ideas with others, but I have trouble finding people - I am new to this land and I don't feel accepted yet.

Now I am in the Land of the Wands. I'm not long into it, so I am not sure what I should expect yet. I cried alot in the Land of the Cups. I feel my mind wandering here... I stop my thoughts as I hear the sound of wood hitting together lots of times. "What could that be?" I wonder to myself. I had been so absorbed in my own thoughts, I hadn't taken time to survey the landscape around me. I look around me now. I am on a path that runs through the center of a valley. There are rolling meadows of grass and hills in the distance. The sky is a deep blue-green, very unusual anywhere but here. I have only recently learned the Wand language and acquired a Wand to use to communicate with. I have been using it as a walking stick as I walk. I haven't encountered anyone to speak with since I got it, so I haven't had a chance to work with it yet.

Click*Clack*SMACK!* I am walking toward the sounds as they get louder. Soon I can make out figures on a nearby hill. As I get nearer, I can make out the sounds. There is quite a discussion going on! Soon, I am beside them, watching and listening intently. I am spotted by the figure with the light green viewpoint. He flags me in between swings of his Wand. First, sheepishly, I turn down the invitation. But the figure is insistant and eventually I am forced to join in...ok, not really forced :D
------------------------------------------------------------

I have always considered myself opinionated - yet I am also a sponge for new ideas and concepts. I enjoy having my knowledge and opinions challenged in a positive way as it causes me to grow and evolve. But there are also ideas and views that are not the same as mine - that I know for me are not right - but they can be as right for others as my own ideas are right for me. In the past, I have been compelled to share my perspective with the goal of getting others to "convert" to my side of things. However, recently, I have found that is a false path, so I have been working hard to change it. Now I feel comfortable putting myself and my ideas out there - and not caring if anyone chooses to follow them or agree with them. It is amazingly freeing.

Aulruna

21 Ways - Step Four

Card IV Arthur (Emperor) from the Arthurian Tarot (Hallowquest)

4-1
Once upon a time, there was a boy who was born to lead. He did not know this at first, because life taught him many lessons about how to rule one day, you should serve first. And it was by his ability to serve that he made others follow him, and the ability to rule only came after that.
One day, after another battle won, he retired to his lookout in the mountains. This was a place of peace and freedom for him, and all he wanted was to contemplate how one battle is only ever the preparation for the next. Or so it seemed to him.
So imagine his surprise when he heard a voice addressing him. Startled, he looked around, as he believed to be completely alone at his retreat. Finally, his eyes fell on a black bird sitting on the ground right before his feet, regarding him with alert black beady eyes. The ruler could not believe it was the bird who had talked to him, but just then it opened its beak again and repeated its words: "You know, my dear, I really like that banner you're flying there! In fact, I think I've fallen in love and consider taking it for my wife!"
The ruler was even more perplexed by that strange speech than by the talking bird. "You already noticed it is just a banner, not a potential wife" he said. "And as a banner, it does not even stand for particularly wifish qualities. It signifies possession and also, the values we are prepared to fight for." The bird gave a little chuckle. "You may be right about the banner, but you know what? I think those qualities are fine ones for a wife, a home. I really should like to know where I belong when I have a family."
And with that, he spread his wings and took off.
The ruler reclined in his seat again, contemplating what the bird had said. His roots were deeply entangled in his country, but perhaps this would not be enough where he as an individual was concerned.
And he wondered...

4-2
As I was sitting this morning in my favourite spot, planning our tactical movements, I had the most curious little encounter with a talking bird. Had I not been alone, I would never have admitted I believed it really could talk. I still think it was following bird logic, not really accessible for me. But it alighted me to something... there is a balancing influence missing from my life. Blessed little bird.

4-3
I tend to be a workoholic and get single minded about professional tasks. This is why I allow outside impulses to get to me, because inspiration and new outlook can "lurk" anywhere.

P.S. I loved this exercise and the other replies best so far, but found it difficult to connect with my card in a way of story-telling because the Arthurian saga was QUITE overpowering, especially since my assigned card is Arthur himself!

Jewel

21 Ways - Step Four Fantastic Meangerie

STEP 4
CARD: The Star
DECK: Fantastic Meangerie
Card can be seen here: http://www.fantasticmenagerie.com/Majors2.htm

4-1. Once upon a time ...

.... there was a young woman who lived in a walled in city. The city was dirty and dreary. She longed to move beyond its walls, breathe the fresh air, and see what she had been missing. Unfortunately no was allowed to leave or enter the city. Determined to get out, the maiden watched day and night to determine when city doors were opened and closed, and who went out and who came in. Her homework done, she gathered provisions, her disguise, and the next morning slipped out of the city.

Her adrenaline still pumping, and knees still shaking, she move on with the city hunters until she finally found a path leading away from the hunting party. Trees and shrubs line both sides providing her slight form ample cover. As she walked on, and night fell, she emerged into a pool of water. Her clothes had vanished, her skin turned white, and had begun to shape shift in to the form of a bird. Nature embraced her and dressed her. This would be a transformation that would take time from this point forward. The fish welcomed her with their song. She was free. She was home.

4-2. I noticed when doing this exercise that I really got into the re-telling of the story when in first person. This was a lot of fun.

I lived in a dirty and dreary walled city from which no one was allowed to leave, and strangers were not allowed to enter. I longed to move beyond its walls to see what I had been missing, there had to be more to life that this prison. Determined to escape, I watched the gates day and night to make out the patterns of when the city gates were opened and closed. Who went out or came in. Every morning it was the city hunters, and for all the vigilance no one seemed to count them. Some days more went out than came back and vice versa. My homework done, I gathered provisions, my disguise, and the next morning I snuck out of the city.

An hour or two out of the city I doung my opportunity to slip away via a tree and shrib lined path heading the opposite direction of the hunting party. The vegetation provided good cover for me. As nightime began to fall, I emerged into a pool of water. Without ever noticing, my clothes had vanished and and beautiful plants and flowers were covering and adorning my body. My skin had turned literally while, and as I touched my face I realized I had a long beak and had feathers on my neck and face. I had not felt a thing. Nature was embracing me, but the transformation would take time. The fish welcomed me with their song. I am free. I am home.

4-3. The story seems to relate to how I once tried to conform my beliefs to those more traditional and accepted by society and my family, and how empty and out of place I felt. I knew there was more to me and to feeling than I was getting. So I finally just embraced and accepted what I believe and feel and quit hiding from myself and those closest to me. I needed the freedom to me. Over the last few years I have been claiming just that. A lot of it has been accepting myself. Sometimes I still struggle, but I am persevering.

dadsnook2000

A wonderful exercise

Step Four was a wonderful exercise to participate in. It let know that the card illustration could be a starting point in a story that might add to the card's meaning for us, or it might just move off onto a tangent away from the card meaning. But, it did let our imaginative processes loose, something that is a valuable component of the whole reading process. Thanks to all who have shared part of themselves with us. Dave

nicki

21 ways to read a Tarot Card - Step 4

Step 4 – Thoth Tarot – The Lovers

Step 4.1 ~ In a land far far away, a land of great divides lived a young tribal boy and a fair princess, although they had never met they knew that one day destiny would bring them together. As their lives took different directions it seemed they would never be destined to meet, until one day they both attended a rally and fell in love, because of their different backgrounds, colour and social status, people conspired to keep them apart and the young princess was to be guarded by a large wizard who was to keep her safe and away from the young man, however unbeknown to everyone the wizard was a double agent and knew that to save the land he loved the young couple had to be together and marry so that peace could once again rule their land.

Step 4.2 ~ The Wizards Story.

I was hired to guard a young princess, my job was to keep her from her destiny of meeting a tribal boy, only by them meeting and falling in love would peace be brought to my land, a land that had been ruled by fear and divide for many hundreds of years. To fulfil my part of this story I had to pretend to be something I was not, I had to dupe the king and his supporters that I could keep the Princess safe, whilst gaining her trust that I was on her side and only wanted happiness for her and her young man.

Step 4.3 ~ Real Life Situation.

I’ve been with my partner for 3 years, He has 2 children from a previous marriage and absolutely adores them and children in general. His divorce was amicable and his ex wife knew that he had met someone else, which was fine. When he told her we were moving in together things started to go wrong, the girls weren’t allowed to come and stop at our house and things were generally unpleasant, although our relationship is strong outside influences can cause difficulties and when things are taken out of your hands you feel helpless to do anything. You just have to stay strong and work through the downs and know that the ups are only round the corner.

I really enjoyed this step, I don't usually find stories easy but this seemed to flow quite easily.

nicki

coyoteblack

Love your wizards story sorry about the " other woman" all the suddon getting mean.

In AA we have the serenity prayer
for these type of things good luck and i am so loving all the new energy coming into this.

nicki

coyoteblack said:
Love your wizards story sorry about the " other woman" all the suddon getting mean.

In AA we have the serenity prayer
for these type of things good luck and i am so loving all the new energy coming into this.

thanks coyoteblack, its great to get feedback, as I said, story telling usually isn't one of my strongest points, but thoroughly enjoyed this step. I am waiting on the book now, which should be here tomorrow!! as for the ex wife, i feel sorry for her, she obviously isn't willing to move on with her life, but I am a very strong person and will not give up without a fight.

nicki

geministar

Step 4 - Druidcraft Tarot - The Moon

4.1 Once upon a time there was a big round moon who only showed himself in the night sky. This moon was very sad, because all the animals in the land were scared of him. They would all spend their days playing outside and as soon as the sun would go down they would go back to their homes where they were safe from the moon. The moon was always sad because he just wanted some company and wanted to see a smile on the animals faces, not fear, and he didnt want them to run away and hide from him.

One day though, the animals had so much fun playing together that they didnt notice how late it was getting until the moon came out. They suddenly saw the moon, startled and started to run when the moon said to them "wait, I wont hurt you, can you please stay and be my friend?", the animals all looked at each other, then looked at the moon and smiled. From that night on, the animals were never afraid of the moon again, and they were all friends.

4.2 I am a round golden moon who only shows myself at night time. It really bothers me and upsets me that I see all the animals running from me at night time. I see them from my house in the day time, then when its time for me to go out, they run and it makes me sad. So one day when the animals were playing late I decided to be brave and ask them to stay and be my friend. There were 2 dogs and a little crab, they turned to each other and decided it was a good idea and since then the other animals and I have been friends and they're not scared of me anymore.

4.3 The part of my story I connect with is making friends and the difficulties in doing so. Since Ive always been very quiet and shy, meeting people and making friends has been hard for me. It can be a scary and anxious thing to do, but looking back over times in my life where these difficulties more likely occur such as starting high school, new jobs, dinners, parties etc in the end I became brave like the moon did in my story and got through those scary times of meeting new people.

Jewel

geministar said:
I became brave like the moon did in my story and got through those scary times of meeting new people.
And then you met me and Faunabay and lived happily ever after ~hugs~.

No seriously, what a beautiful story and how touching how it dove tails on your experiences and shyness. What I have noted in your previous steps as well is this one is the mention of "fear". What is the moon scared of? ... Are you really shy or is it fear ... or are you shy because you fear??? These questions are for you to ponder. I am not requesting or expecting a response. I know this is personal stuff. But I see a theme emerging over your last three Steps.

NOTE TO ALL: Gem and I are very close friends that is why I am comfortable asking her these tough questions and know she will not take offense. Just thought I would clarify that before someone thought I was out of line *LOL*.

geministar

*ROFL*......yes we all lived happily ever after

Good questions Jewel and I wont reply but the answer came to me straight away as I was reading your post. It wasnt until I was half way through this Step 4 that I realised the emerging pattern in my steps so far.

Its pretty scary writing about these personal issues in your own life.