21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step TWENTY

dadsnook2000

Step TWENTY -- already? This step involves Deck Comparison. Your chosen card and several other "same cards" from other decks will be used. You chose the other decks and number of decks. Mary Greer asks us to do the following:

* Describe each card.

* Line up the cards so there is some flow or progression of similar design features. How does each card appear in terms of similarity and differences?

* What new meanings can you find in some of these cards? Use stories, dialog, visualization, metaphors, etc. in your explorations.

* List three keywords or phrases that seem common to all/most of the cards from these different decks

* Which card-version expresses best the advice you would give yourself?

* If you were to design your own version of this card, how would you do it. (I would suggest you describe your version or sketch it if so inclined)

Do have fun with this step. Dave

dadsnook2000

Dave looks at the FOOL card

I will be looking a four Fool cards for step one.
** The Fey Tarot
** The Tarot of Prague
** The Witches Tarot
** The Robin Wood Tarot

DESCRIBING THE CARDS:
The Fey FOOL has discovered a glowing pumpkin with a carved face. His own face has an astonished look. He wears a plain, pointed crown with a large key hole in it. Keys adorn his two colored tunic; purple on the front, green on the back.

The ToP FOOL is dressed in a red silk tunic and is dancing across statues and roof tops of the city, a gold bag in his left hand, a white flower in his right hand. A small white dog follows closely. He wears a snug fitting cap. The sky behind him is blue with a touch of clouds.

The Witches Tarot FOOL is represented by Johnny Appleseed, a figure from early US Colonial times who walked across the northeast areas planting apple seeds. He is dressed in a dark green tunic, a brown rough cape, a leather hat, green shoes, carries a long staff with a small white bag, and holds out a small sheet of papter.

The Robin Wood FOOL is a romantic circus-dressed and stylized figure, walking and playing a flute, flowing blond hair, a long red feather stuck in a garland of flowers about his/her head. A billowing white blouse and pants with two different materials for the right and left leg -- white and red diamonds and green and white stripes. The white dog is present, a swiss-alps type of scene is in the background.

ORDER OF DESIGN
The Fey, the Witches Tarot, ToP, and RW cards, left to right, is how I would order the cards. The Fey Fool is in one position, focused on what has been found. The Witches Fool is posed in a wide stride, holding out a sheet of paper. He is in a high place, on an outcropping of rock. The ToP Fool is also in high places, dancing across statues and roof tops and quite carefree. The RW Fool carries a flute, is very high amidst the mountains and is dressed in an almost frivolous manner with colored banner flying from the bag being carried.

I picked the height or elevation as a focus, each figure being more "up" than the previous figure. Height seems to equate to foolishness and carelessness. Even the Fool needs some degree of "grounding" if he is to continue his journey and become someone different. A second theme is also present; that of one's attention or focus. The Fey Fool is holding a pumpkin which totally absorbs his attention. The Witches Fool holds a paper out as an offer to we who observe him. The ToP Fool holds a Flower and bag but is unconcerned about them. The RW Fool is self-absorbed in the flute's music, what comes from within him/her self.

The Fey Fool seems to be on a highly personal journey of discovery. The Witches Fool is on a journey to share value with others in exchange for what he learns. The ToP Fool is exhibiting some degree of personal skill and dexterity for his own amusement. The RW Fool ignores the world and looks for discovery in one's self-amusement. Each of these is in a different "place." Following the prior-used order we might see 1) curiosity and discovery, 2) sharing and discovery, 3) aimless self-testing and showing off, 4) playing a fairy tale role of leisure.

KEYWORDS
Discovery, dalliance, self-satisfaction.

IDENTIFCATION WITH A CARD
I like the Fey and the Witches Tarots. The Fey because it shows delight in discovery, the Witches because it shows discovery and learning from sharing yourself with others. I have always taken delight in sharing all the things that excite me with others. I also try to help others in many practical ways. I cannot relate to the other two Fool cards although I can understand them in terms of reading with them.

This is why I sometimes choose the deck that I will use for a reading as the nature of the deck needs to fit the querent if at all possible. Of course we don't judge a deck by one or two cards but by its overall sense and theme.

MY DESIGN VERSION
Up until the time I discovered the Fey Tarot I had not thought much about the Fool card, seeing them all as versions of the Waite-Smith tarot. The Fey unlocked a lot for me. I would (in hindsight now) create a Fool that discovers a key, with objects representing life-supporting issues lying about -- each with a key hole in them. What objects? Apples (food), a shirt (clothing or shelter or protection), a book (learning and greater awareness), etc. We can always discover inconsequential things, it is finding life-changing or enhancing items and issues that is most exciting -- whether we realize the potential in what we discover or whether it slowly emerges into our awareness over a period of time. Discovery isn't always experienced in a flash and the Fool's journey may take a great deal of time, maybe more than a lifetime.

A COMMENT
As we reach and participate in these last few steps it seems to me that we are moving to a new level of understanding and ability to view cards from many different aspects -- almost as if each card was embedded withiin a diamond where each facet reveals a new twist in the card's application to life's questions and experiences. It may take more time to articulate this adventure that several of us have been on, but I think it is safe to say that we are more today than we were months ago as tarot readers. If my associates on this list also feel that way, I think Mary Greer will be pleased to have helped us. Dave

Jewel

dadsnook2000 said:
A COMMENT
As we reach and participate in these last few steps it seems to me that we are moving to a new level of understanding and ability to view cards from many different aspects -- almost as if each card was embedded withiin a diamond where each facet reveals a new twist in the card's application to life's questions and experiences. It may take more time to articulate this adventure that several of us have been on, but I think it is safe to say that we are more today than we were months ago as tarot readers. If my associates on this list also feel that way, I think Mary Greer will be pleased to have helped us. Dave
Dave I fullheartedly agree with your comment. I view all tarot cards quite differently and with more ease now then before. It has helped me learn how I read them best and how to look at them and the story they tell individually as well as a group in a spread. Patterns are also more noticeable.

I have completed this step but have not had a chance to post yet, hope to soon. I did draw my Star, and am actually currently working on a painting of it. The Star used to be a pretty card to me, one I liked to see in readings, and usually positive. This journey has tought me the depth of that card and now it has come to represent to me my "happy/safe place". It is also the place where I can look at myself very introspectively and honestly without beating myself up and where no one else can touch me. And I will confess, I am now quite partial to the Ibis woman, though I don't care for the fish still *LOL*. I never knew the depth of this card until doing this work. I cannot wait to see what Coyoteblack and I learn about the Moon when we start the Adept level of this work.

Mary, thank you for creating the book. It has opened a new world of depth and understanding to me. I still have one more Apprentice step to go, and all of the Adept level, but with what I have done so far it has not only helped me better understand and read tarot cards, it has helped me look at myself and tackle areas that required some work and some real self-honesty. Your book is a true gift to those who choose to travel the road. I know I will be using it more than this one time.

Dave if you get the chance I would love for you to draw your card. I know you are artistic, and your idea sounds beautiful. If you get the chance I would love to see it.

Hey Coyoteblack, you want to create a new study group called "78 YEARS" where we can do the Apprentice level for all 78 cards???? ~ducks and runs~

coyoteblack

This was fun

Card comparison 21 ways step 20

The 4 decks: Star
• Baroque Bohemian Cats
• Quest
• Tarot of Dreams
• Ancestral Path

Quest: a lady made of star dust pours water with stars in it on the barren earth into a pentagram she pours it from a gold picture. She has a very humble look to her. She is facing right

Tarot of Dreams: is a naked blue woman pouring 2 rainbows from her vessels she is in space with a large star under her feet and stars surrounding her head her body is facing right her head is almost facing forward

Ancestral path an African woman very naked is on the plains she has one foot in the water and one knee on the earth she pours from 2 different cups she pours water on the ground as well as in the pool of water there are some letters carved into a pillar behind her she is facing forward

BBC a white British short hair is facing left she purrs from 2 different cups she is in the city by a fountain in a white gown she pour s water onto the ground as well as the pool there is a statue behind her this looks like an world town. With building around the cat( I am assuming female)

I lined the cards up from left to right quest, tarot of dreams, ancestral path, and BBC .

I figured if the star from ToD was in space the opposite would be in the city. Then I noticed how the cards were facing the quest tarot was completely right where as the BBs was complete left with the other 2 where in the middle. Also as far as they way people were facing I take as looking from the past into our future.

What is the same is they were all pouring something. All female and all naked except the cat( she is dressed but that is the exact opposite of how she normally would be be).plus they all look kind of humble

As far as what is different: 2 are in space 2 are on the earth none of the ladies are the same, one is made of space and blue one is made of star dust and is silver the other is African the other is a cat. Also they are all pouring from something different.

As far as emotions they are all humble and I feel awed looking at them . I also get this feeling of
Overwhelming compassion from them and a lot love and empathy.

As far as new key word I always thought of this card as hope but I also see healing and compassion and empathy. A sence of “part of” with the entire cosmos.

For today I think the quest tarot is more of the healer of the bunch and I could use some emotional healing.

If I were to design my own Star card:

Picture a room with a bunch of chairs people facing a podium a large coffee urn on the far side most everyone has a look of contentment on their faces. In one corner a young person not sure if it is a guy or girl has a look of bewilderment on their faces like they are lost and confused. An older woman hands this person a cup, and pours coffee. The older woman is all smiles and happiness a compassionate look in her eyes and she is talking to the youth in an AA meeting. And behind the podium is the sign of a star.

See when we come into our first AA meeting we are coming from a tower situation ( rock bottom) when we enter the meeting someone tells us there story and we don’t feel all alone because someone else understands what we went through, because they went though it as well. and that is when a normal cup of coffee is transformed into a medium of kindness and compassion as the other person “ 12 steps” the new comer.

ps thanks Mary and jewel there will be a brick arriving from jersey to Texas any second now in answer to your 78 decades comment

Jewel

coyoteblack said:
ps thanks Mary and jewel there will be a brick arriving from jersey to Texas any second now in answer to your 78 decades comment
It was 78 years, not decades! ~runs really really fast now~ :D :D :D

Seriously Coyoteblack, studying our stars (as well as our 78 weeks study) together has been an amazing experience. Together you and I have really dug deep into the Star, done our work, and had some great discussions, and through her we have gained a great new friendship.

By the way I could envision your card and it would be a WONDERFUL star card. Hope and healing on various levels - emotional, psychological and physical. I do have to retract the offer to draw it for you though as you have WAY TOO MANY people in it for me ~giggles~. I do hope you do draw it some day, and when you do you must share it with me.

OH and I think the rain storms here destroyed your brick, it must have gotten struck by lightening and shook with thunder ... tower day for the brick *LOL*

Jewel

21 Ways - Step Twenty Fantastic Meangerie

STEP 20: DECK COMPARISON
DECK: FANTASTIC MENAGERIE
CARD: STAR

Activity 20:1 – Decks used in comparison: Fantastic Menagerie, Cosmic Tribe, Fey Tarot, Victorian Romantic

FANTASTIC MENAGERIE STAR: The central character in the card has a woman’s body and the neck and head of an ibis. She has a very long and delicate beak that arches downward. Her face has a red mask of feathers, with the red extending down the top of her beak. She is very very white and is only dressed and adorned with vines and flowers that cover her private parts. They are all alive. She has two plant bracelets, and one plant anklet. Tow flowers are tucked to the left side of her head, one over her right breast, and one over her naval. She stands with one foot in water and the other is in the vegetation she is walking through. In each hand she holds plant life; one plucked, one still growing. Her body faces forward, her head is turned to the right. She appears to be emerging from the plants and undergrowth towards the water.

To her right there are two fish in the water, to her left one fish, with their bodies about ½ way out of the water looking at her with open mouths. There is a large dragonfly resting on her right shoulder. There are nine start in the sky, the stars are of different shapes and sizes.

COSMIC TRIBE STAR: The background of the card is a night sky, with the constellations imprinted in the sky. There are 8 main stars, all 8 pointed, but within the largest star there are two more in mandala form (also 8 pointed).

The center of the largest star in the night sky emanates a beam which connects to the center of a burgundy and light yellow, rather large flower. The center of the flower has a center of its own and 3 spokes. The flower appears to glow.

The land is flat and the grass is green with clusters of small flowers. To the right, if facing the card, of the flower a nude thin woman in what appears to be dance pose. Her hands give the impression of holding the largest star, her right arm is behind the beam of light. The woman has short black hair and a peaceful yet enraptured expression on her face. Her body has the play of light and shadows from the beam coming from the large star.

THE FEY STAR: A young female faerie is out on her balcony breathing in the night. The city lies beneath her. 23 stars of varying sizes descend from the sky to swirl around her, envelop her. Her arms are extended and flexed behind her as are her transparent wings, which are delicate, and attach at about her shoulder blades. Her hair is short and stylishly messy (people pay big bucks for hair like that!) and she wears two squiggly earrings on her left ear. Her chin is tilted upward, her eyes are closed and her lips held closed with a hint of a smile. Her purple skirt and the purple ribbon at her waist dance in the evening breeze. Her upper body is nude, with breasts reacting to the cool breeze.

VICTORIAN ROMANTIC STAR: A nude maiden stands, modestly covering her breasts, thigh deep in a pond full of water lilies. She wears a blue water lily in her very long brown hair, which almost touches the water. She has a part of her white dress still on her left arm, and drapes to cover her left thigh and genitalia. If looking directly at the card, there is a tipped over jar pouring water into the body of water where the maiden stands. The maiden has a very serene, peaceful, yet sensual look on her face, which is in profile. Her skin and hair seem to glow in the star light.

In the far background a wave appears to be breaking. There are 10 stars in the night sky. All small so the shape is hard to make out. The body of water the maiden stands in appears to pour into something else if you look at the left hand corner at the bottom of the card, possibly another body of water.

HOW ARE THE CARDS SIMILAR:
 They all have stars
 Central figures are all female
 There is nudity of the central figure
 None are directly pouring water
 All but the Ibis-Woman have their eyes closed
 They all have a quiet peacefulness and serenity about them
 They are all sensual

HOW ARE THEY DIFFERENT:
 The settings/environments
 Different times of the evening/night
 Types and number of stars
 Modesty of central figure
 Length and color of their hair
 Use of water element (2 don’t have water in them – Cosmic Tribe and Fey)

NEW MEANINGS AND PERPECTIVES IN ALTERNATE CARDS:
 Cosmic Tribe – empowerment, inner strength
 Fey – sensuality, pleasure, freedom
 Victorian Romantic – serenity, quiet modesty

When interacting with the Cosmic Tribe Star there is a very spiritual and empowering feeling. A rejuvenating strength that comes over me.

When interacting with the Fey Star a sense of liberation and freedom comes over me. It is sensual and invigorating.

When interacting with the Victorian Romantic Star a sense of sensuality and modesty both come to the surface. It is innocent sensuality. Being at peace and in acceptance of ones own skin. Feeling alive and knowing that with life anything is possible. Treasuring the self.

KEY WORDS IN VIEWING THE STAR ACROSS ALL THESE DECKS: empowerment, freedom, healing, hope, rejuvenation, self love, happy place, spiritual connection, acceptance, empathy.

The key words I listed are not all that different from my original key words (integration, regeneration, understanding), it is more of an expansion to that same list as the original key words still apply.

The Fey Star card best expresses the advice I would like to give myself. It suggests letting go of past assumptions and that I inhale my here and now and revel in it.

MY STAR CARD DESIGN: a night sky with an air balloon in the center. On the balloon there is an 8 pointed star. The balloon is flying towards the card viewer. There are 7 stars of varying sizes and shapes, and motion patterns in the night sky (8 in the painting I am doing). A somewhat large corner of the moon can be seen in the left hand upper corner. The balloon is traveling over the calm ocean, and towards the viewer just about to cross over two palm tree tops. The basket of the balloon is empty, as it is there for whomever sees the card to place themselves within it.

COMMENTS ABOUT CARD DESIGN: The ocean and the night sky is what has always brought me peace, so in design this card is my happy place. A place where I can meditate, think, and be 100% honest with myself without recrimination. It is a place of solace, healing and where hope is always restored, and strength returned to tackle the challenges to come.

In a nutshell, the design incorporates a small hint of Qabalah in that the Star is on a path of the tree of life between two sephiroth. The balloon is in the middle between the two and the moon in the upper corner represents that sephira. Having 8 stars indicates the sum of the number 17 = 1 + 7 = 8 and alludes to strength. The 4 pointed star in the picture is about the rest that comes with the fours, a chance to regroup – the painting has two of these which again add up to 8. There are five 5 pointed stars, each in itself represents the 4 elements and spirit being the upper point, 5 X 5 = 25, which 2 + 5 = 7 which represents the challenges of the Sevens. There is one 6 pointed star to represent victory and success in reaching the Star. The star on the balloon is 8 pointed and it represents inner strength. The palm tress are just neat, and have a cool shape and I like them *LOL*. The ocean below is the cards association with the element of water and all of its healing qualities and beauty.

I will post the original drawing when I get it dark enough to scan properly. I will also share the painting once I am finished. It has an extra star (spacial aesthetic reason).

coyoteblack

I love how you added all the esorteric meaning and images also enjoyed your view on the fey star. I never knew a star can mean that.

and I have many many more rocks where that came from jersey rocks have expra special chemicals on them to rebuff your texas twister

Jewel

coyoteblack said:
I love how you added all the esorteric meaning and images also enjoyed your view on the fey star. I never knew a star can mean that.

and I have many many more rocks where that came from jersey rocks have expra special chemicals on them to rebuff your texas twister
The Fey Star is simply gorgeous. You really need to get that deck! She is true renewal to me. She inhales the world around her with abandon. Nothing is going to stop her. She has forever hope and enthusiasm. Nothing can keep her down, and she appreciates the simplist things in life like breathing and feeling the night breeze on her skin. She also has no shame, she is not ashamed of anything. She learns and moves forward, she does not dwell.

You know I see so much in Star cards these days that it is downright frightening *ROFLMAO*.

You can keep your rocks you silly coyote, but if you want to start tossing tarot decks this way ... well we will let those through ~chuckles~

coyoteblack

shall we discuss what we shall do with the adept steps after steps 21 or are we going to wait untill everyone catches up?

Jewele and I plan on keeping the same deck but switchig cards so if I need to do more apprentice card work for a new cazard I will do that on our break

Jewel

coyoteblack said:
Jewel and I plan on keeping the same deck but switchig cards so if I need to do more apprentice card work for a new cazard I will do that on our break
Ditto here. I will be doing some of the necessary Apprentice Steps for the new card, but not all.

I say lets get Step 21 posted and then follow that with the Step about the Adept discussion. Dave we will differ this to you as our fearless leader. Which by the way, thanks so much for your leadership. This has trully been a great study group to be a part of!