What Insights would you want from the Deck Artist and Designers?

TaliTarot

Hello All

We recently announced the commencement of a new deck, The Tarot of the Everlasting Day (TM), which has a publisher, and will likely be complete 2013. One of the features of the deck is that we will be including a companion "Insight Book" on the decks genesis, creation and development.

I wondered what you would like to know if you could accompany the designers and artist on their journey of deck creation? What questions would you have wanted to ask Frieda Harris and Aleister Crowley - other than "where's my wallet/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife?" LOL.

If you could have stood with Pixie whilst she was drawing those images, what would you have wanted to know? Or asked Waite, such as "Was that image there really deliberate?"

Here's our press release for the deck, and I look forward to chatting with you about the "insight" book, for which your questions and thoughts will be invaluable. You can also check out Janine's artwork for an idea of the style, which will also be very Waite-Trinick.

---

The Tarosophy Tarot Deck

We are delighted to announce the creation of a new type of tarot deck, the Tarosophy Tarot, also to be known as the Tarot of Everlasting Day. Authors Marcus Katz and Tali Goodwin, with award-winning Canadian artist Janine Hall are together producing a considered, elegant, enigmatic and magisterial sequence of images which will provide a truly original presentation of tarot.

Drawing on Marcus’s three decades of study and experience, working from the original and often still unpublished works of Aleister Crowley, A. E. Waite, the Golden Dawn and other sources, this will be a tarot for the soul, redrawn for the man and woman of today. Whilst being grounded in the various tarots of the past, it will not be beholden to any, striking off into the landscape of mystical vision.

Tali will be providing research into traditions spanning across the Marseilles and Lenormand styles, uniquely combined with contemporary insight and field research incorporating the requirements of modern readers. Marcus will be building from entire collections of occult order material and all published works and often unpublished works on Tarot. Janine will be visioning these designs into fine art, capturing a truly ethereal expression of Tarot.

Amongst other innovations and design features, the Tarosophy Tarot will contain ten additional cards, and be the first deck to exist in three separate versions, each of which will be at a different level of resonance. The design for each card across the three decks will build on the seekers own discovery of their soul through the images. One deck version will be suitable for divination usage, one for teaching work and self-discovery, and one for the highest spiritual insight and vision. Together they will illustrate the initiatory journey of the soul.

A full journal of letters and illustrations between the designers and artist is to be provided with the deck, giving invaluable insight into the creative process that informs this deck.

The first two images from this deck are planned to be available as colour plates in the first book of THE MAGISTER in 2012. For more details as they are produced, please see The Tarot Speakeasy:

http://www.tarotspeakeasy.com and visit Janine Hall’s portfolio at http://janinehall.ca.

---

[Mods, hope it's ok to put these links?]

TaliTarot

Alta

Links are fine both here and in Decks when it is your own creation.

HudsonGray

Well----what size did you work in?
What medium?
Did you plan a border?
Any input on the text or did the publisher request that they do it?
Do they plan on a large size, a mini deck or standard deck size?
What demographics did they tell you they were focusing on for marketing?
Are they planning on a release date for Christmas sales or for Spring?
Is the print run going to be over 5,000 decks?
Do you keep reprint rights?
Did they buy ALL rights?
Did you write the little white booklet? Did they ask you to do a more extensive book on it to package it as a set?
Did they ask for any art to be redone?
Did you supply the actual paintings/hard art or was it all via electronics?

LOL.
I'd ask what your initial % is for your advance but you wouldn't likely tell us. We had a book author come talk to us at our writers group, he had 3 books with a small publisher, had a 3,000 print run and got a $2 per book advance on the last book they put out of his. He had say in what the cover of the book looked like (rare for authors).

Babalon Jones

Would love to weigh in with what *I* would like to know, but not seeing the art or knowing anything about the artwork itself and how it was created, it is hard to know what I'd want to ask!

It seems like you are saying the images are not yet even created yet, even though it will be published in 2013, or am I reading that wrong? If that is so and you are going to have 3 x 78 images, wow, that is a lot of art to create in a relatively short time!

nicky

Would love to weigh in with what *I* would like to know, but not seeing the art or knowing anything about the artwork itself and how it was created, it is hard to know what I'd want to ask!

It seems like you are saying the images are not yet even created yet, even though it will be published in 2013, or am I reading that wrong? If that is so and you are going to have 3 x 78 images, wow, that is a lot of art to create in a relatively short time!

dupe post edit.

nicky

264 cards in 365 days ... guess the insights I would like is how is that done?

cirom

264 cards in 365 days ... guess the insights I would like is how is that done?

By working very quickly I guess.......... although I have to say I'm also very curious as to how exactly this is possible. A deck of images usually takes me about 18 months and thats almost full time dedication, not just something I devote a few hours in the evening or weekend to. Having said that, my style is quite detailed and laborious, and others are less so. But the samples of work I've seen of this artist (which I think are lovely) and the medium she uses, just doesn't seem to translate to a production rate of a card every day and a half. So I can only assume the style and or medium used on this project will be different. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Zephyros

I'm not an art critic :) I see what I like, but for me what is important is that the book clearly explain not the meanings of the cards, but the reasons the cards have the ones they do, by explaining the symbols and esoteric influences used, kind of like what the Book of Thoth does. Not something like the Pictorial Key, since that is, in a way, a LWB that's not Little.

I'm interested in the three deck concept. Say I want to do all of what you mentioned, do I get the third deck, or are they geared specifically toward a single purpose?

Carla

I would like to know exactly what the artist and/or the book writer had in mind for each and every detail on the card. Why is that bunny there? Why is it facing left? What does that hand position mean? Why are the feet so big? Also, I would like to know exactly what the book writer originally wanted, and the process of how the image became what it is in the final version. Because I believe it's the case that artists often can't or won't paint exactly what the book writer envisioned.

HudsonGray

I can't find anything on the TarotSpeakeasy site that says ANYTHING about this deck. Am I missing something?