Just Starting Out

FeralFey

Howdy!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I discovered this site last week and introduced myself on the newbie's forum and they all pointed me in this direction, as I'm interested in creating my own tarot deck.

When I first started out, I originally intended on creating a deck based on a novel that I'm writing, but then I decided maybe I should do a "practice" deck first. My novel is WAAAAAYYYYY too complicated and I keep tripping over myself trying to remember all the little intricacies of character and plot lines to even try and cull out the "right" information for a tarot deck.

So I started last week on my "practice" deck. I'm starting with the suit of cups and I've got two cards done. I'd like to submit them for critique and then eventually (provided I actually finish the deck and they turn out to be half-way decent) I'd love to get them published. So, I'll need lots of help along the way.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better, and pick your brains for information and suggestions and whatnot.

I'm going to "attempt" to include my two of cups card first and see how that goes.

Thanks!
--FeralFey

FeralFey

Shoot! That didn't work. I'm going to try again and get the two of cups to upload. Wish me luck!

--FeralFey

Attachments

• two_of_cups_v071802_with_border copy.jpg
    two_of_cups_v071802_with_border copy.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 182

lunalafey

VERY NICE!!!
can't wait to see more. How long did it take you to make that?

blue_fusion

hey. i like it! :) and i like the symbolism as well. tell me, though, is are the yin yang symbols beside the window supposed to not be parallel with each other? :)

FeralFey

Luna!! - Glad to see you. It took me about a week to make this card. It probably would've been done sooner, but I've got an active 19 month old daughter who keeps me on my toes! Thanks for checking out my card. I'll be posting my ace of cups next. That one took me less time to create, about three or four days. I look forward to hearing more from you soon!

Blue Fusion - Thanks for your comments as well. I see your point about the yin/yang symbols. I wrestled with this problem before deciding to leave it as it is. The symbols are virtually (I was going to say "in reality", but I've created them with a computer program and using that phrase didn't really seem appropriate. :) )aligned, but because of the perspective in the scene, they look uneven with each other. Esoterically speaking I could also make the justification that the balance implied by the yin/yang symbols does not necessarily insist on parallel equality, for there is always a give and take to any equilibrium. But that's just me being pithy and making rationalizations for the optical illusion. :)

Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm glad you liked my card. Now here's my ace of cups. Let me know what you think.

--FeralFey

Attachments

• ace_of_cups_v071602.jpg
    ace_of_cups_v071602.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 152

starfish66

Feral -

I don't normally read this particular folder, because I'm not nearly talented enough to create a deck, but I happened to this evening and have to say that the two cards of yours I've seen so far (Ace of Cups :TAC and Two of Cups :T2C) are wonderful! Keep up the good work!

(And I know what you mean about busy 19 month olds!)

:TAW Starfish

blue_fusion

hey, i think the second one looks better than the fisrst. it has that lovely ancient/travel thing going (at least for me) :)

kayne

Very Cool FeralFey!!! I like them a lot :D And hey, if you can justify it, you can do anything! :p I can't wait to see more cards! Do you plan on using people in the courts and majors?

FeralFey

Kayne - Thanks! Glad you like my cards. Yes, I am planning on using people in my court cards and the major arcana. I can't really see getting around making them without including the people. :) I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to execute this, however. People are not my strong suit in artistic ability and I'm afraid I'm going to have to rely on using "Poser" to make them. My only complaint about using Poser is that the people tend to look plastic and static and doll-like instead of vital and alive. My deep, dark secret is that if I make all the "non-people intensive" minor arcana cards really spectacular and fabulous, no one will notice the people missing until I can brush up on my Poser and Photoshop skills. ;)But shoot it all, Kayne, you're on to me EARLY!!! Sheesh! Guess I need to get off my laurels and get to work! :|

--FeralFey

FeralFey

Question

I have a general question, since you all were kind enough to look at my work. What do you all think of my border on the two cards? I'm not entirely happy with what I've got so far, but my DH thinks they look just fine. Ultimately I'm going to have a different border for each of the suits and one for the major arcana. I've seen the borders that Gozer has on his deck and I am humbled. I'm looking for ideas on how I can make my border more....dynamic (?). Any and all takers to my question are welcome.

Thanks!
--Chrys