21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step SEVEN

SistaSpirit

"...we are legion..."

You did a comprehensive analysis of your deck and I think it's very good. Well done!

You are not alone as you work through this book. Just persevere.

Sista Spirit

Probie

SistaSpirit's Title of Post catches eye...

SistaSpirit said:
:)"...we are legion..."

You did a comprehensive analysis of your deck and I think it's very good. Well done!

You are not alone as you work through this book. Just persevere.

Sista Spirit

I was trying to trace what you meant by this as I had a suspicion it was some clever pun or remark, can you help?

...also, hang in there with the health battles! Don't forget the "S/spirit" in treatments as that's a *HUGE*, albeit neglected, piece.

Sean

Probie

Greer (2006) 21 Ways - Step 7

Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot
7/The Chariot

• Page of Pentacles: "A message/messenger concerning practical affairs such as career, business, household relationships, or sundry marketplace matters in my life."
  • Eight of Swords: "A time of adjustment in my life after a difficult experience in the realm of communication or beliefs."
  • Wheel of Fortune: "A lesson in completing and starting again in the cycles of my life's activities."
  • Ace of Cups: "A place [whether it can be marked geographically or chronologically] of starting another emotional or intuitive cycle in my life."

• 7/The Chariot: "A lesson in learning mastery over my emotional life."
  • 7/The Chariot: "A lesson in gaining skill in my intuitive or psychic abilities to overcome barriers to my goals."
  • 7/The Chariot: "A test to gain ascendency over my emotional life in order to accomplish my goals in life."
  • 7/The Chariot: "An initiation to gain control of my emotional life in order to achieve further growth and move on to the next challenge."

This last statement feels the most true at this point in my life given the difficulties of adjusting to working as a social services worker with persons who need to access social services to retain their shelter and/or working utilities such as heat in the Mid-West region of the US. In some cases this can be quite rewarding, at other times it is tempting to say "You chose irresponsibility, so why should the responsible people have to pay for your poor choices?"

Anyone can serve the "heart warming" cases and let the irresponsible suffer the consequences of their actions, but only the persons who have undergone "an initiation to gain control of [their] emotional life in order to achieve further growth and move on to the next challenge" can truly serve all persons in an ethical and moral manner.

The young man of my story was fighting the duke, but in reality to overcome the obstacles outside of himself he had to learn to control that which is within. While most of the Western world doesn't see inner work as a civil responsibility, when faced with the consequences of this lack of development it becomes apparent how important it really is.

An extreme example is one I saw on television of a man caught on the security cameras who went into a supermarket and began executing every person he saw with shotgun. Here is a case of rage inflicted on persons who had nothing to do with whatever evil this man, who when faced with an equal opponent (i.e., armed police) simply surrendered, was fighting against. In short, inner work has far-reaching social consequences - just ask the few paltry survivors and the families of the victims if further proof is required.

In my life in working with persons who are poor and/or have had their income drastically reduced, my inner work (or lack thereof) can have powerful effects on whether they receive funds paid to their landowner or utility company to meet their most basic of needs. From Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to the chakra system, "shelter & heat" are considered foundational pieces for higher development for most persons (later Maslow added a "Z Scale" to explain persons who could bypass the pyramid through spirituality).

However this work can be very demeaning and draining to service workers as no one comes to see you when they're (1) having a good time in life and (2) not in a crisis. In most cases, these crises (plural of "crisis" as they are legion in a single family) are often of the family's own construction and "misery loves company." Further, it is important to be both emotionally engaged to support persons in crises while at the same time be objective to stand outside and observe what is going on. It is very tricky business indeed!

dadsnook2000

Probie and the Chariot

I've never placed as much emphasis on the Chariot relative to emotions and intuition, seeing that card as more an outward projection of how one feels and a perspective of how the world provides feedback to that projection. But, that can't cover how you see and feel this card working through you or for you. All in all, an interesting and provocative exercise for you that shows your progress along the path we are all following on this list.

Dave

Probie

Counter-Chariot

Dave,

One part of that comes from our book (Greer, 2006). On page 61 at the second paragraph/indentation Greer writes:
  • One of many possible statements could be: "I've drawn the Chariot. It represents a lesson (trumps) in mastery (sevens) over my emotions (water)."

Another part comes from my work and self-work. I've been a witness to many times how people have allowed their emotions destroy everything they've built and/or blocked them from re-building the best possible future they could have because they couldn't control them. We even tell people to "get it together," which may as well be "ride your chariot a better way!"

The two different colored sphinxes seem to pull (and even face askance in the RWS from each other) in different directions, much like Plato's analogy of the chariot drawn by the horses passion and reason. I thought that's where this card comes from. The horses (maybe even three?) have to be utilized in proper amounts or the whole enterprise comes to naught as the horse tear the chariot apart. Don't quote me on the horses' names, but I remember that from philosophy class.

dadsnook2000

Logic and emotion

Yesterday on NPR (National Public Radio) I heard a Radio Lab feature about how memory is affected by the complexity of whatever we are engaged in. Two groups of people were given a number to remember and instructed to walk down a hallway and repeat that number to someone else. One set of numbers were just two digits, one set of numbers were seven digits.

As one walked down the hall a person greeted them and offered a platter containing a choice of either fruit or a complex chocolate cake which was very much decorated and covered with cremes, cherries, etc. It turned out that those who had two numbers to remember always chose the fruit, while all of those who had seven numbers to remember always chose the cake.

Fruit was logical to choose if one knew they needed to watch their weight. But, cake was difficult to rationalize when one balanced weight, calories, likes, dislikes, the ethics of doing what is right for oneself, etc. All of that plus trying to keep the seven number in mind became momentarily complex. It seems the mind has two parts which always try to "win" when a decision has to be made, a logical part and an emotional part. When faced with a complex decision in which one is personally involved, the emotions win out and secrete a substance which dampens the logical thinking paths of the brain, leaving the emotions to decide. So, the two horses or steeds that pull the chariot are quite accurate in terms of the role the play in how one should move forward in life. If this NPR story is appropriate, then we should keep in mind that simple decisions are easy but that complex decisions that involve us very personally can cause our emotions or irrational mind to win out in our choices. Dave

Probie

Wow Dave, I love it!

I'll try to look up the Plato's horses things, but have been sick lately. I think Plato was more about rational control while Aristotle chose his eudaemonia (spelling? Greek for "good" or "wellness") ethics that emphasized "moderation in all [good] things."

While the chariot is in The Republic (I think) by Plato as the template for the philosopher-king ruler, Aristotle's is in The Nicomachean Ethics. I got the later as the balance piece came up in my New Year spread based on my numerology of this being a "four" year.

Probie

Plato's Chariot Allegory

Dave, here's a wiki on Plato's chariot allegory. It's basically what I remeber from Ancient Philosophy 231 from my undergrad:

Plato, in his dialogue, Phaedrus (sections 246a - 254e), uses the Chariot Allegory to explain his view of the human soul. He does this in the dialogue through the character of Socrates, who uses it in a discussion of the merit of Love as "divine madness".

Plato paints the picture of a Charioteer driving a chariot pulled by two horses. One horse is white and long necked, well bred, well behaved, and runs without a whip. The other is black and short-necked, badly bred, troublesome.

The Charioteer represents intellect, reason, or the part of the soul that must guide the soul to truth; the white horse represents rational or moral impulse or the positive part of passionate nature (e.g., righteous indignation); the black horse represents the soul's irrational passions, appetites, or concupiscent nature. The Charioteer directs the entire chariot/soul, trying to stop the horses from going different ways, and to proceed towards enlightenment.

For more information or for the full wiki article, click here. In light of this, I think it's significant the sphinxes are black and white not to mention the historical meaning for this card is "control" or "mastery." It would make sense in light of the Medeval love of Plato and in the late Medeval period/Renissance reintroduction of Aristotle's texts - or at least better copies - from the Muslim world.

Spooky

21 Steps 7

7:1page of coins-
page is a court card/who? It can mean a person ,a message, an event
coins-earth-money,health, home
- a message about possible money gains
-health could become a concern
-a concert or other event could prove costly

8 of Swords
mode is numbered card,what? A life situation or an action taken
swords, air card- intelligence,conflict,struggles,action,energy
8- movement, control
-controlling unwanted emotions
-using brain to plan next phase of my life
-struggling to control my emtions

Wheel of Fortune
mode is Major Arcana/why? Cause of something,lessons learned
10-completion,new beginnings
Fire suit-energy desires, passion
-completion of one task marks beginning of the next
-energy to pursue something new
-desire to learn lessons well and to understand them to furture my knowledge of the Tarot

Ace of Cups
mode/where? New oppertunities,the elements of potential
Ace-beginnings,potential
water suit-emotions,pleasure
-beginning of love
-happiness around others
-exicted about a new venture

Fool
Mode major arcana/why? causes ,new lessons
Rank Fool-0-new beginnings, fresh start, potential
suit/air-intellect,learning, ideas
the beginnings of personal awareness along with creativity and new outlook on life

Ivy Rhiannon

Step Seven

1.) Page of Pentacles

Suit: Pentacles - Finances, Security, Creation
Element: Earth - Security, Foundation, Nourishment
Mode: Court - Person, Personality, Role

Synthesis:
- A seeker of finances, security or nourishment.
- A messenger bringing news of finances, or advancement.
- An apprentice looking for a foundation to create new things.

Impression:
The page has many roles. He can be a messenger, a seeker or a student. (He) is the young (man) looking to start a new career, set out on (his) own, or the artist crafting a new hobby.

2.) 8 of Swords

Suit: Swords - Conflict, Hardship, Control, Decision
Element: Fire - Passion, Courage, Creativity, Change
Mode: Minor - Actions, Events, Situations

Synthesis:
- Being conflicted over a new prospect.
- Lacking the courage to manifest your goals.
- Feeling unable to change a cycle of hardship.

Impression:
Definitely a card with imposed limitations. Her eyes are closed to the possibilities, and the swords around her are "stabs" at her passion, courage, and creativity. This is a card of self harm.

3.) Wheel of Fortune

Suit: Wands - Achievement, Journey, Perseverance, Knowledge
Element: Air - Direction, Knowledge, Will, Intellect
Mode: Major - Lesson, Transformation, Inner Journey

Synthesis:
- Beginning a spiritual journey that will lead you in a new direction.
- An opportunity to learn and grow.
- The potential to achieve your goals.

Impression:
A wonderful card! Full of potential, opportunity and growth! This card is about knowing what you want and going for it. The stars are aligned and there is much to be gained and achieved both spiritually and physically.

4.) Ace of Cups

Suit: Cups - Passion, Relationships, Emotions, Dreams
Element: Water - Emotions, Motivations, Desire
Mode: Ace - Beginnings, Opportunities, Potential

Synthesis:
- A new relationship.
- A lustful affair that will fulfill your desires.
- A dream you are passionate to make a reality.

My Impression:
Really this is a card of reflection on your true potential. Without our passion we cannot achieve our dreams. Emotions are what move us, give us the opportunity to achieve all that we desire, and this card embodies just that.

5.) Druidcraft Tarot ~ The Fferyllt
Rank: Five - Challenges/conflicts, Awareness/acceptance, transformation
Suit: Wands - Achievement, Journey, Perseverance, Knowledge
Element: Air - Direction, Knowledge, Will, Intellect
Mode: Major - Lesson, Transformation, Inner Journey

Synthesis:
- A challenge to achieve what you will to transform.
- The will to persevere in the face of conflict and hard lessons.
- The inner strength to become aware and accept change.

My Impression:
The Fferyllt is really about transformation. Facing the challenge of knowing what you want, willing to do it, and learning from a possible failure. The Fferyllt is the inner alchemist, the scientist, the scholar. If you persevere this card will reward you will the achievement of your wildest dreams.

-----------------------------------------
(edited to add) As for me this card is exactly where I am right now. I have been studying a lot about spiritual alchemy and the process of change. I am transforming into woman, witch, and teacher I wish to become and the process is amazing! I am very excited yet steadily pushing myself where I once feared to tread. :D