Druid Plant Oracle - Madder

inanna_tarot

I've drawn this card today, so I thought I would post about it here on the SG.

To me, the card is at sunset, that moment when the days work is winding to a close. Perhaps its a day like today, september sunshine that just gives a little warmth but such wonderful golden rays of sunshine glistening on the dew heavy grass still at teatime.
The Elder tree is here, Ruis, one of the ogham of the crone, and when I have worked with Ruis before there has always needed to be a blood offering, so its really interesting to me that here we have a clootie dyed by the Madder plant, yet it looks like its been dipped in blood. The Elder is a tree that is old and wants only something of power - rather than coins or simple prayers. It demands respect. The little goddess figure offering is a reminder of how this plant is one of a deeper power. To the time when folks would spend days making something to leave purely as an offering.

Like the elderflower, the madders flowers are like little stars, that pentagram shape that flows throughout all of nature. It echos of that ancient power, the deep lifeforce or Nwyfre in druidry that we need, that sustains us. The madders leaves are in whorls, the cycles of the seasons, of womanhood and of what must die returns to life once more. I also want to think of a shield as well - so maybe the Madder has a history of the warrior spirit as well, for thats is when bloodshed soaks the fields. Again there is that heavy crone energy.

If I got this in a reading I really dont know how I would read it. The key words are strength, coming of age and the Goddess. Perhaps if its not about firstblood or last blood in a womans life, it could relate to making a choice that you know will hurt someone, but is for the greater good? Making yourself or someone else make a sacrifice for the greater good

inanna_tarot

Ive drawn this card today, and its interesting how you see different things in cards every time you look at them. This card is my daily draw for today (July 29th 2009), after a big revelation yesterday over a big issue I've had for a long time, so in a way it is a 'coming of age' for me lol.

The small offering I see as just a figure of a beautiful woman, that our 'womanhood' doesnt focus on the days of our period and bleeding, or the moment we have our first blood til the start of the menapause. To be woman is to know that we are created in darkness, in the womb of our mothers and that we have that darkness of our own wombs inside us! And our big hips (im definitely a 'pear shaped' girlie!) etc are part of that too, to be embraced all day every day.

The Moth is a spirit from the Darkness into the Light, that we can see our own beauty when society, culture, history etc frowns on it.

I'm also reading Kissing the Hag by Emma Restall Orr as well, so theres lots on the Darkside of the Feminine in my head too.

But yes, this card for me today supports me that its ok to be wobbly as I process this 'coming of age' event :)