Victorian Flower Oracle

Jewel

.traveller. said:
Yeah, I got the Hemlock card as to how someone was thinking of me! Eek! Needless to say, I was alarmed but not surprised. The person in question is pretty moody, but I think I will avoid them until the Hemlock mood has passed, just to be safe.
What does this card mean to you??? Since I have not worked with it I was curious.

Jewel

HearthCricket said:
The Language and Sentiment of Flowers.

Sadly, this art had long gone astray and most people haven't the slightest idea how much flowers said, back in the Victorian Age. You didn't need to write a note. The flowers said it all.
Cool that sounds like the book for me *LOL*.

It is sad that the art is lost. It might also have something to do with the cost of flowers, at least here in the US!. My family describes me sometimes as "the flower child" because I love giving flowers. So the topic of flowers is very interesting to me. Once I learn some flower language I WILL send bouquets that have meaning if not beauty. I will translate the message on the card. Too bad flower arrangements are so darn expensive becuase if I could I would send florwers to friends. It is simply cost prohibitive ~sighs~.

Astrae

Thank you for the info on the books HearthCricket!

All things Victorian in nature fascinate me, the language of flowers in particular. I just wish the Texas climate allowed me to grow more of the Victorian-era flowers. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to get around the yucky heat.

Jewel

Astrae said:
I just wish the Texas climate allowed me to grow more of the Victorian-era flowers. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to get around the yucky heat.
Ditto here!!! (also in TX). Which of these flowers have you found to grow well if any? ...

Astrae

Jewel,

I've found that Dahlias grow well for me, but they do suck up a bit of water. Oddly enough, my Nasturtiums do well if I start them indoors and let them get going, then move them outside and just leave them alone for the most part. Of course roses do well in the South, and the hotter it is, the more they seem to flourish. I grow Verbena as well, but it's rather temperamental for me.

Other than that, I have some wild Honeysuckle and Morning Glory, which I absolutely adore. And it's literally very wild. It was half-dead when we moved into this house, and all I've done is give it a trellis and watered it a few times.

I think this year I'm going to experiment a little more with growing some different things from the deck. I enjoy planting and growing, and I'd love to be able to get more Victorian flowers and herbs growing.

EDIT: Eeeep! I forgot about my Marvel of Peru! I have to be careful with them, because if I leave them alone for too long, they go all over the place! I started them from seeds, and I swear, I thought they were never going to sprout!

.traveller.

Jewel said:
What does this card mean to you??? Since I have not worked with it I was curious.

It means Poison to me. Poisonous thoughts and behavior that have little to do with the target and have everything to do with the sender. I also see it representing someone so focused in their poisonous thoughts, that they can't see how it is affecting their immediate surroundings and the innocents populating those surroundings.

Jewel

Astrae, thank you for the feedback on the flowers. After my card experience with the Verbena, I do not think I want to have any more of them, although I must agree they grow well here. I had some red ones and some purple ones at one time. I will have to try some of your other suggestions, though nothing wild or requiring trellices. The hubby likes the "manicured" look, and I just don't have a good place where a trellis would look great. We had roses at one time, but the thorns were a pain. So no more roses *LOL*.

Herbs grow pretty good here. I have a chive plant that I have had for over 12 years and it has now had all kinds of babies and is beautiful every year (its babies too *LOL*). We try to contain the chives as best as possible. I also have rosemary, and sage which seem to do well.

Traveller ... icky card *LOL*. The Hemlock sounds like the Verbena's sister! I was going to pull it out and do my exercise with it, but I think I will just wait for her to come up at random before spending time with her *LOL*.

I am really enjoying this deck, and how it is making me more aware and interested in my yard! Perhaps it is also the time of year, but I am really enjoying this deck and having these discussions. Thank you all!

.traveller.

You could always try miniature roses, they're not so thorny. I wonder how our climate compares with yours? I live in the desert (14" of rain in a good year) and it gets pretty hot and dry in the summers. I heard that it is humid in Austin but I haven't heard much about the other parts.

I think Hemlock is Verbena's wicked stepsister. I was kind of hoping that someone might see it in a more forgiving light and pass on their wisdom.

Has anyone made pressed flower posies? I made some as greeting cards a while back, it didn't occur to me to use the language of flowers at the time, but that would be an inexpensive way to share them with friends.

Jewel

It is humid in Austin, we have 5 lakes around here, but it is not as terrible as other parts of Texas. It is actually less humid then I exepected it to be when I moved here. Our summers, like in most of TX, are HOT. I don't even remember how many days over 100 we had last year. I am not adding anything with thorns. We had some tea rose bushes, and my husband had prunned them, and some little cuttings had been missed in the pick-up, and well they ended in my bare feet ... so nope no thorns *LOL*.

I will pull out the Hemlock and try my exercise with her to see if I can find a gentler side to her, but no promises. But at least that way you can have another perspective.

Your posies sound wonderful!!! You should use them for messages, what a great idea!!!

Well I have the Tea & Coffee card for today. Hope I get around to writing about it.

.traveller.

I get the Tea and Coffee card alot. For me, it usually comes up as representing a peer group for both the good and the bad, social expectations, and the need to connect with others.

The Hemlock threat was downgraded to Cactus for two days and is now resting at Sweet Pea. Sweet Pea and Cactus I can handle. :party: