definitions of readings....

MareSaturni

fairielf said:
In my opinion you must use intuition.Because if you just know the meaning of the cards you can say just some words.Let your intuition to speak it will have great results.The intuition is the gift

Hum...and what do you do when your intuition is kinda shy and doesn't like talking? You coerce it?

Because saying "let your intuition speak" is one thing, but actually doing it is completely different. And not so natural for everyone i'm afraid.

SunChariot

214red said:
Further to my post:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=124234

I am curious on how we define tarot reading, when we say (or someone requests) the following, what do we do (or expect) :
• Psychic reading
• Intuitive reading
• tarot reading (with none of the above)

I personally dont beleive anyone can read tarot without some level of intuition/psychic ability, but if someone calls themselves a psychic reader i would except a mediumship reading, with specifics. i would also expect them to be connecting to my guides etc.
Intuitive reading to me, is not as specific, i wouldnt expect the reader to contact any spirits, but i would expect a bit more then the book meaning. I would expect the reading to use one of the mental mediumship skills, even if they are not aware of how they get the message etc.

anyways, what do you kind folks think?
Thanks
Nik

Ok, for me if I had to define them:

-a psychic reading would be one where the reader is clearly psychic and has psychic ablities with our without the cards. The reader might be able to look at the image and have a clear vision or what will happen in her mind's eye (almost like watching a movie play out), or hear a conversation inside you word for word that will take place in future.

-intuitive reading would be when you get a feeling from looking at the card of what the answer is, an intuition about the direction the answer should take, but you don't experience it directly. You just have an inner sense of what the answer should focus on. You feel "drawn" to a certain answer. I'm in this category personally, I don't fit into either of the other two.

- Tarot reading without either....just using the book meanings.

Barbara

Aerin

SunChariot said:
-a psychic reading would be one where the reader is clearly psychic and has psychic ablities with our without the cards. The reader might be able to look at the image and have a clear vision or what will happen in her mind's eye (almost like watching a movie play out), or hear a conversation inside you word for word that will take place in future.
I don't do this. I don't believe I can do this. Even if I believed someone else could do this I wouldn't want them to.

-intuitive reading would be when you get a feeling from looking at the card of what the answer is, an intuition about the direction the answer should take, but you don't experience it directly. You just have an inner sense of what the answer should focus on. You feel "drawn" to a certain answer. I'm in this category personally, I don't fit into either of the other two.

I do this. I think of it as tarot reading. I feel as well, but other people might get images or talk to themselves or whatever - I don't think it has to be a feeling (based on working with a range of people and finding out just how many strategies there are for 'knowing' something).

- Tarot reading without either....just using the book meanings.

I don't think this is possible (as I have just posted elsewhere) unless someone literally reads out the book meanings without making any attempt to make sense out of them.

I do the second one and that is based on my understanding of the cards (experience, book meanings, discussions on here, whatever), what's going on in the images and stuff that pops itself in under the wire (but which I can generally make sense of in terms of the cards in front of me).

I don't ignore the cards because otherwise why bother having them at all? Unless you are (what I would think of as) psychic :)

Rev_Vesta

There are many different methods and styles when working with tarot cards as readers.......

When reading Tarot.... we may learn some of the general book meanings..the general RWS meanings and apply them to the deck we are working with.......
we begin to work with our intuition to get a sense of which of the many meanings feel right for the querant......we may get a sense when we look at an image of what the card is saying about the querant's situation on some level..........we may get a sense of just knowing......... a claircognisent.......

we may get a feeling, an emotional feeling...........clairsentient.............

we may get a smell just under our noses which gives us info inregards to the cards.........(clairaroma...)

we may get voices within our head.........(we may not know where these voices come from or we may know........from Spirit Guide, Angel, Ascended Master etc.......) Clairaudient.....

we may see an image, a pic, a still pic, photo or a movie playing within our third eye....after looking at a card.....(have seen plenty of Tarot readers working with this abiltiy during a reading...having found the cards are a tool to open up this abiltiy)...Clairvoyant........

These are psychic abilties (umbrella term ) which are in in all of us on some level, even though we may not immediatley recognize this.....we may not believe we are experts in this area but we all have the abiltiy to develop in a small way our skills.........working with our Chakras, meditation in some way......visualization etc.......
I have seen a Reader connect with working with Tarot cards and have brought through a loved on as well, A Medium working with all of her Pyschic abilties......on some level...........@ different readings within the one reading....(Very interesting and very rare....)

But for me for the general public when advertsing what I do...... I say I work with Native American Tarot... I type up what I see within the cards and totally get in the Zone.......within the cards may see core issues being dealt with from the past, present and furture if things do not change.......

So I say I do Tarot/Oracle Readings.......on Business card.......
plus the Sublte Body Therapies I work with.......

I do not mention any of the pyschic abilties I work with within the reading......
this is what works for me within the area i live..........

Vesta

canid

Apollonia said:
I just want to point out that, just as with Tarot, there are competent, ethical people around who do the woo woo stuff and remove curses for people. Just as with Tarot, they are not all scammers. I would hate to think that if you practiced where I do, you would call me a scammer and warn people about me!

As a part of my shamanic training, I took an intensive seminar on curse unraveling from Betsy Bergstrom, a highly respected shamanic practitioner and teacher. At the outset, she informed us that curses are very real, and that one does not need to believe in a curse in order for it to affect his or her life.

Being called to do so by Spirit as a part of my practice, I now remove curses (and yes, sometimes I do use crystals which I have charged to strengthen a person's aura after the curse removal). But what I do is not a scam. It is exacting, and sometimes hazardous, work.

Do you charge hundreds of dollars for curse removal & fill someone with fear if they can't afford it?

fairielf

for Marina,Yes sometimes intuition dont work thats why it is said that ppl who hav the gift for readings,got intuition anytime...Now it depends on each person,For my example if my intuition ,,dont speak'' I clear my mind and look in to the cards where my intuition stoped,then like somone whsipers me somthing and the intuition comes

LotusSong

Rev_Vesta said:
we begin to work with our intuition to get a sense of which of the many meanings feel right for the querant......we may get a sense when we look at an image of what the card is saying about the querant's situation on some level..........we may get a sense of just knowing......... a claircognisent.......

I... did not know there was a word for that. Interesting.

Nevada

I prefer to call what I do Tarot reading, because although I think everyone is psychic and intuitive, I think the general public is confused as to what that might mean -- and so are most of us here, not so much confused as in some disagreement. I think the words mean different things to each person. So as not to confuse people I might read for, I think it's simplest to just say Tarot reading. In other words, I read using Tarot cards. How I do that isn't really important to the querent as much as what they get out of it is.

Rev_Vesta

Agree Nevada...

so much easier just to say "I work with Tarot cards..." it does stop the general confusion the public have about how we do the readings...

yes Lotus Song....... We all have different abilties on differrent levels.....

Vesta

214red

Umbrae said:
could you define these terms, and explain the difference please? I'm really not stirring the pot here, I want (need) to know!
to be honest umbrae i dont think there is alot of difference, i think people say intuitive because they are scared of the big P word, but as i say i think there is gradients of psychic ability and you need that to read the cards.