Newbie's questions to lenormand readers

greatdane

Thanks, Kalliope!

Already am :))))).

Richard

My point has been (repeatedly) that "the method" refers in fact to a collection of related methods. In my sentence that you quote above, in an effort to simplify I'm guilty of using method in the singular as a shorthand for "one of the several closely related traditional folk methods which include a complete language-like system for reading Lenormand cards that we've been describing over several posts and threads" in order to compare it to a perspective in a book that was mentioned.

I thought that most, and Greatdane in particular, after reading what I've previously said in these threads, would know what I meant. I was mistaken, sorry.
If plain, simple English must be interpreted in such a convoluted fashion as you have described, then I am totally out of my depth. It is not my intention to be a pest, and I apologize for my ignorance of the intricacies of the local dialect.

ana luisa

That's excellent news,greatdane! I hope you are having a blast with your deck. Tell us when you're ready for exchange readings ! :thumbsup:

Lee

the discussion has been about something fictitious, prompted by an inappropriate question.
LRichard, I'm not quite sure what your ultimate point is. It seems to me that those same words could be used to describe this entire forum. Or life in general. :)

Richard

LRichard, I'm not quite sure what your ultimate point is. It seems to me that those same words could be used to describe this entire forum. Or life in general. :)
We are supposed to know that for kalliope the word "method" means (take a deep breath) "one of the several closely related traditional folk methods which include a complete language-like system for reading Lenormand cards that we've been describing over several posts and threads."

ETA. The point is that I am discombobulated. :D

kalliope

We are supposed to know that for kalliope the word "method" means (take a deep breath) "one of the several closely related traditional folk methods which include a complete language-like system for reading Lenormand cards that we've been describing over several posts and threads."

Well of course in general it doesn't mean that for me. I simply thought that over the course of several posts I'd established that it's what I meant and that people would know what i was referring to. (To be fair, I should have written methods, plural.)

As your "deep breath" demonstrated ;), "methods" is a lot shorter than explaining it all over again, and I was going for brevity.

Lee

LRichard, in all seriousness, I think you are being a bit hard on kalliope, who has been addressing your questions/concerns with an extraordinary amount of grace and patience.
LRichard said:
Forgive my simple minded question, but precisely what is "the Lenormand method we've all been talking about?" If I'm not mistaken, this is what GD wants to know, and I have not yet seen a definitive answer. Please, no waffling. :)
I think something andybc recently posted in another thread might supply a good answer: "The traditional petit-Lenormand approach is centred on the methodology of coming to an interpretation: symbolic rather than optic reading ie what the dog means not what it looks like."

Does that do it for you? If it's not a detailed-enough answer for you, then I'm afraid we're back at the beginning, because a more detailed answer will involve a description of a situation which is not black and white but involves some grays, and then you'll say we're waffling. :(

greatdane

Definitely an interesting start!

This thread and the Why Lenormand? thread in Oracles has definitely given me an interesting start as I begin :). I am happily moving along, going in the simplest way possible as I begin and I'm good with that. I realized so much of what has been discussed doesn't really affect me much, if at all, at least right now, as I am just doing two or three cards and perhaps a clarifier to begin. The fact there can be some discrepancy with meanings with a few cards in different systems not a big issue, I did want a system regarding card meanings and have that. The other bigger issue seems to be about larger spreads than I am doing, and with so few cards, again, not an issue, at least not currently. This HAS been an interesting thread though. I had no idea there were so many systems when I first thought I wanted to seriously delve into lenormands. Or that there would be the philosophical discussions that have arisen defining lenormand or methods or systems. It looks like people will agree to disagree on some things.
I will just end by saying I wish everyone well on whatever journey they take, however they read, wherever they go.

Richard

LRichard, in all seriousness, I think you are being a bit hard on kalliope, who has been addressing your questions/concerns with an extraordinary amount of grace and patience......
Kalliope seems to be holding her own pretty well, Lee. I certainly don't disagree with her explication. It's just that the implication was that everyone is talking about essentially the same thing, which in view of frelkins' post may be questionable. But what do I know? I'm just a mouse, which from the Lenormand perspective is not a very admirable critter.

Lee

But the mouse can also mean "teamwork"! :D