Slow Holler: New Collaborative Deck

Michellehihi

I don't understand the theme of this deck. What is Southern? the whole south hemisphere? South of what? I feel that this deck is intended for a very specific and limited audience - those who know what Southern refers to.

rwcarter

I don't understand the theme of this deck. What is Southern? the whole south hemisphere? South of what? I feel that this deck is intended for a very specific and limited audience - those who know what Southern refers to.
The South in the United States. Basically the lower half of the country.

banbha

They got back to me by email. The deck does come with a book, even though it's not mentioned on the site.

" the deck comes with a 192 page perfect bound book of descriptions. The cover will be printed on art paper and the inside features 5 divider spreads by artist Noel'le Longhaul."

FLizarraga

The South in the United States. Basically the lower half of the country.

So as I was saying, this deck has a limited auditoire.

This made me laugh --and not at you, Michellehihi. Yours is a brilliant observation... 😂

Americans don't mean anything by it. It's just that the USA is such a big, self-referential country, or mashup of smaller countries in reality (we are a federation, after all) that they forget. After all, this is a country that calls itself "America" --regardless of the fact that it is only a part of the American continent, and hardly the largest.

Michellehihi

This made me laugh --and not at you, Michellehihi. Yours is a brilliant observation... 😂

Americans don't mean anything by it. It's just that the USA is such a big, self-referential country, or mashup of smaller countries in reality (we are a federation, after all) that they forget. After all, this is a country that calls itself "America" --regardless of the fact that it is only a part of the American continent, and hardly the largest.
Ethnocentrism it is called. And it annoys me.

FLizarraga

To be fair, this is an American deck, made by queer artists and writers "with Southern ties" in North Carolina, which is a Southern state. No American says "Southern" without meaning the Southern region of the US. Anything else would be more specific: Southern Hemisphere, South America, and so forth.

There might be some ethnocentrism in the language itself, but hardly in the intention of the creators, some of which may have different ethnic backgrounds.

ETA: Correction: They are indeed of different ethnic backgrounds: http://slowholler.com/tarot-deck/participating-artists/

Nina*

To be fair there's hardly anything wrong with me saying I couldn't care less for an American deck made for American people. ;)

FLizarraga

To be fair there's hardly anything wrong with me saying I couldn't care less for an American deck made for American people. ;)

True, but neither I nor they ever said that this was a deck made for American people, only by them.