Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

barefootlife

Go for the Barbara Walker! The art style isn't even really my thing, but I find the deck oddly compelling nonetheless. It's a slightly disquieting deck, but mostly in a good way. My only fault with it is that I don't really like her choices for the King and Queen of Pents, although I certainly respect why she chose them.

FLizarraga

Inexplicably, all those tinned darlings have wide borders. Wouldn't it have been more logical to shrink these borders a bit to get more card on the card? The proportions between card image and borders are a bit wacky. But it's the only criticism I can find, and it's minor.

The only tinned deck I own, the Centennial, has the perfect image-to-border ratio. So much so, that after I compulsively trimmed them, they look fine but are a pain to shuffle. Not to mention that now they rattle like crazy in the tin. Oh well. Live and learn.

[emoji120]my job is done here!! [emoji304]

I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU! And I got the Barbara Walker on Amazon. It will be here Monday. Can't wait! :)

Though these ones are going under the scissors ASAP, no matter how much they rattle afterwards. (A bit of pretty paper tissue, the one you put in gift bags, muffles the rattling.) Chas chas!

Go for the Barbara Walker! The art style isn't even really my thing, but I find the deck oddly compelling nonetheless. It's a slightly disquieting deck, but mostly in a good way. My only fault with it is that I don't really like her choices for the King and Queen of Pents, although I certainly respect why she chose them.

"Oddly compelling" is probably the best description for it. The minors in general are a little quirky, to say the least. Look at the 8 of Wands, and the 8 of Cups. And there is a sadness to the Queen of Cups, whose heart seems to be frozen. But I love what she has done with those cards anyway. I have not been so enabled in a long while... :D

FLizarraga

I've seen the thread on the Mystical Tarot and there's been mostly positive reviews and raves. I was wondering if anyone's had other experiences with the deck. I need some de-enabling from this deck, at least for the time being. Thank you!

I'm underwhelmed by the Mystical Tarot. It's OK, some of the art is nice, but it is undeniably rather odd, and less interesting to read with than I expected. I don't think the borders are very nice either. I was really looking forward to getting this deck, and I was quite disappointed when it turned up. It's in my "probably sell" pile, I don't go to it, there are far better decks out there.

Thank you! Yep, I'm with you on the borders. I'm not quite sure if I like them or not.

I'm sorry, cosita, I'm here to do some enabling. I never looked at the Mystical borders before buying it, because I figured that they were going under the scissors anyway. I'm a big borderphobe, and I mean BIG.

Yet, when the cards arrived, I found that the borders work for me. They are minimal, they include astrological information for the majors, and they do attractive things when you fan or shuffle the cards.

Now, I'm not 100% happy with the art. Some of the faces are rather odd, like that fellow in the 2 of Cups, or the one in the 9 of Cups (who does not look too pleased). And sometimes the Siqueiros or Rivera-ish proportions of the figures do not work so well. But when it works (for me), as it does most of the time, it is rather wonderful. There are a lot of nods to classic Italian decks like the Soprafino, and even the Sola Busca.

Odd? Absolutely. But, for me at least, compellingly odd --to riff on barefootlife's rather felicitous turn of phrase.

magicjack

Mystical Tarot

I have had my opinion in a couple of threads. (maybe even here). So I have positive and negative feelings about this deck but I'm not ready to get rid of it. Well I don't really get rid of anything but I have this strange feeling I will pull it out one day and enjoy it very much. And for some reason the borders work for me in this deck. I'm in the middle on this one. I can't enable or de-enable. It's sort of the actual make up of this deck as well. Most of the cards are absolutely beautiful! Other's come out of nowhere. I have this feeling the strangeness of it will become appealing. Sorry if I didn't de-enable you very much.

Wulfrun

Can someone please de-enable me from wanting the Myers Art Nouveau and Yeager Tarot of Meditation please. I keep putting copies of these on my Ebay watch list and then taking them off again! With the Myers deck it's the 80's influences and Staffordshire Hoard style pentacles that attract me. With the Yeager it's the richly coloured pips, Empress in a 70's yellow frock and the World card that I love! Is there any salvation for me, or does God just hate me and not want me to never have any money!:joke:

magicjack

I don't like the Yeager at all. I don't like the boarders and Aeclectic doesn't say great things about it but if you have to have it , it starts at 14 bucks used on Amazon. I wouldn't pay anymore for it. The Myers is nice I won't disagree with you on that one but used on Amazon 60 bucks? And new 1000 bucks? I know they can get rediculous on Amazon but please! It's a nice deck but do you really really really have to have it???😂

Lisa Myobun

Can someone please de-enable me from wanting the Myers Art Nouveau and Yeager Tarot of Meditation please. I keep putting copies of these on my Ebay watch list and then taking them off again! With the Myers deck it's the 80's influences and Staffordshire Hoard style pentacles that attract me. With the Yeager it's the richly coloured pips, Empress in a 70's yellow frock and the World card that I love! Is there any salvation for me, or does God just hate me and not want me to never have any money!:joke:

Because I love me some fantastic 70s tarot kitsch, I am now absurdly enabled re the Yeager!

Esp after reading Leo Bursten's review - http://www.tarotpassages.com/yeager-lb.htm

And now I want to get me the unexpurgated original version!

Le Fanu

Yeager and Mysers Art Nouveau

I have one of the nude Yeager and even THAT doesn't make it desirable. I also find that the sharpness of the images isn't great. There's a huge difference between high resolution images in 2017 and the fuzzy early 80s Yeager.

As for the Myers Art Nouveau, there is NOTHING Art Nouveau about it. It's way too 80s Barbie and Ken to be taken seriously. Plus it's one of those decks which has lots of full frontal people and - er - you presumably have to differentiate between them to read as tarot.