Spreads For Thoth and Use of EDs

DrMojo

I'm very interested in finding what spreads you use with the Thoth Deck, specifically meaning the spreads that make it easier to use Elemental Dignities (EDs) that the Deck "demands" over reversals.

I realize this might be considered for the Tarot Spreads area, but I rejected that because it is specifically Thoth Deck oriented for the ED reasons.

Thanks!

Dr Mojo

fyreflye

Since the only spread Crowley himself recommended is so complex that nobody uses it you can make up any that work. For reading with the Large Thoth five or fewer cards in a straight vertical or horizontal line minimizes the confusion that more complex spreads create. I use a horizontal past-present-future spread with an added vertical line from cards above and below the "present" card to indicate hidden and open influences on the current situation. This works best with very specific questions. If you need additional information after reading the first spread do another with a new specific question. Those here who refuse to read Crowley's own definitive book can find information on Elemental Dignities online at http://web.archive.org/web/20011202092533/lonestar.texas.net/~r3winter/edig.html

Lillie

I just use any old spread, particullarly the celtic cross, and to hell with all that stuff.

Sometimes I use the one in the LWB, where the groups of 3 cards make it easy for that stuff.
But somehow I never really connected with that spread. I lay it out but it never really speaks to me the way that others do.

PlatinumDove

If I'm going to use EDs with the Thoth, which I like using, then I can't seem to use spreads like the CC.

Lillie

No, the CC is not well designed for that kind of use. Unless you place more than one card in each position.

However, the 15 card spread in the LWB is eminently suited to that kind of use, and, in fact, could have been designed for it.
I do not know where that spread comes from, I have only seen it there. It could have existed a long time, or could have been invented for that LWB.

PlatinumDove

Yes Lillie, I agree, I used the 15 card spread in the LWB once, and it gave me incredible results, though I didn't understand it at the time. Thankfully I keep a record of all my spreads, and I could go back over a year later and say, "Ah ha..."

NeuroticNovice

The 15 card spread has been my favorite for years.
I'm looking for a variation on the spread more suitable for looking into the past or present. Does anything like that exist?

Lillie

Try this one, it is a variation on the 15card spread, and most of it is the same.

Future2....................Future1

.............Querent................
Attitude...................Karma
.............Desire.................

Good past...........Bad past.

In this spread the top 5 groups are as in the normal version, with the position marked as Attitude is the one in the book as 'psychological basis'. It is read as the Q's attitude to the question being asked.
Karma is the things about the wituation that cannot be changed.
The new positions are laid out as three cards each. Desire is what the Q wants from the situation.
The two bottom positions are both past events and things pertaining to the question. One is things that have been good and beneficial in the attaining of the desire. The bad past is things that have hindered attaining the goal.

Really Querent and desire are laid together between Attitude and Karma, with the desire cards covering the Querent. (but it's a bit hard to show.)

Lay them in this order

17, 11, 5, ...........................4, 10, 16,

.....................2, 1, 3,......................
18, 12, 6, ..........................9, 15, 21,
..................23, 22, 24, ....................

19, 13, 7, ..........................8, 14, 20,

As you can see, the 3 querent cards are laid first, then the cards circle round anti clockwise from the top right, three times. Then the three desire cards are laid last.

Also this can be a 22 major arcana spread, where only one card is used for the querent, like a significator, and all 22 cards are used.

I have this written down, but I don't remember where I got it. I think from a library book years ago. And I writ it down because it seemed to connect to the one in the Thoth LWB.
But I havn't used it much (if at all)

However, if you like the 15 card spread, you might like this.

Driley

Silly me

I have no idea where I picked this up, but I started using the CC with EDs when I first started working with EDs and just never stopped to consider otherwise.

The cross part works fine for me -- cards are influence by those in line with them... So the arm of the cross across is a set of three and the arm of the cross down is a set of three. These are influences (past, present, future) and understanding (known above, hidden below with the situation in the middle).

The crossing card is then mated with the influences. So, they get read twice.

Then for the line to the right, I mentally move the covering card over to the bottom so that the first card of the bottom is "between" the covering card and the next card up. The next card up is between the bottom and the one above, etc. Until we get to the top card. Then, I again move the covering card to the top, mentally, to compare it and the top card.

I have a feeling that wasn't horribly clear. It's hard to write it out. If you are really interested, let me know and I'll try again. Or ask me questions and I'll clarify. Or we'll arrange a time to talk or something ;D

Anyway, it works for me and results in a richer reading that now has me very interested in EDs in general.

rainwolf

Has the Opening of the key spread been mentioned? The purpose of that spread is to use ED's to their full potential.