Morgan Greer Favourite Card and Why?

The 78th Fool

The Sun:

Usually my favourite card anyway but in the Morgan Greer it's really special. I feel as if I could just step into the image and all those yellows and oranges are so rich.

Taking the deck as a whole, It's very reminiscent of the style of illustration that was around when I was a young child in the early seventies. I still have several picturebooks from that era, illustrated in a similar manner and using the same rich but slightly dim colour palette. There's a lot of nostalgia in these illustrations for me and that's probably why I love this deck so much.

Chris. xx

Skydancer

I like this deck also! Actually, only just got it this year!! :)

Is there a difference in printings between the 1979 and the 1993 versions? I think I read somewhere that the earlier printing was "better"?? but I don't know why.

My LWB says has both dates, so it's the '93. But it says copyright '79 on the box.

Thanks!
*S*

Dwaas

The 78th Fool said:
Taking the deck as a whole, It's very reminiscent of the style of illustration that was around when I was a young child in the early seventies. I still have several picturebooks from that era, illustrated in a similar manner and using the same rich but slightly dim colour palette. There's a lot of nostalgia in these illustrations for me and that's probably why I love this deck so much.

I don't have the picturebooks anymore. But you described exactly how I feel about the Morgan Greer too! Thanks for that :)

Tomsde

My favorite Morgan Greer Card is the Emporer for his sheer masculine power. In fact I like the majority of the men in the deck particularly the Swords Suit Court Cards. Their personalities as comes out in the deck well--they'd gotten more away from the psuedo-romantic medieval characters of the RWS.

Morwenna

This wasn't my first deck, but it was the first one I read with and was my workhorse for a long time, and is still one of my main three.

My favorite card in this deck is the 3 of Cups; the women are all individuals, and instead of celebrating solely among themselves, they involve the reader quite on purpose. My other favorites are the Empress, Strength, the Chariot, and the King and Queen of Swords.

I also love the closeups of the people, and the lack of border helps with that. Oddly enough, when I first saw the deck (as opposed to seeing just the images in a book), I was rather put off by the lack of border. But I got over that rapidly enough when I finally decided to buy it.

wytchwood

Temperance, the colours are beautiful, I also love the Lovers (sooooo 70s), the 3 of Swords (colours again), 3 of Pentacles and the Aces which are about as pretty as Aces can be. I love this deck.

Zoe xx

Le Fanu

SO glad this thread hs been resucitated! Now that Ive learnt to love the Morgan-Greer...

Yes, the Aces are wonderful, so bold and dramatic and streamlined. The Lovers is probably the card I like least. Looks like the illustrations The Joy of Sex (and the position of her body looks anatomically twisted and not quite right somehow) :)

I have a soft spot for the Devil - which I know not many like - by dint of being unlike any other tarot devil.

I think I love The Moon most and The Knight of Swords.

wytchwood

Yes I like the Devil, but he is a bit odd, I want to ruffle the fluff on his head like a dog.

Zoe xx

Musica2420

Drawn to the imagery

I dont have this deck yet, but I am eager to purchase it..Its amazing because I had read a Tarot book a little while ago and one of the decks she used to illustrate the meanings was the Morgan-Greer..I never realized how much the artwork matters when you decide to use a deck..Not only should your intuitive sense be utilized, but I think there is nothing wrong using a deck based on it being aesthetically pleasing..Thats what I got as soon as I saw this deck in the book..someone (I think Sulis) described it when she said that it has a 70's style quality to it..Thats what I like about it so much..It looks antique, the colors are rich, its not drawn with very hard lines (if that makes sense) and it gives off a warm quality!!

I dont have a fave card yet, but I will report back when I find it!!

Grizabella

You know, the Morgan Greer deck gives me more court cards than any other deck. I thought it was just my imagination, but I tried laying out cards from other decks and from MG, too, and it's not my imagination. It's like the MG has three times as many court cards as other decks. :p

I read somewhere that the MG colors are very significant and that there's a book that will tell about the colors. I don't have the book or know what it's called, but I can tell you that I have very vivid, odd and colorful dreams after using the deck and have ever since the day I got it.

I'm a "they're just paper and ink" group of people, so I really don't know what to think about this. I'd love to know what the book is and read it, though.