OMG; tarot-destroying bugs...

Debra

We can wish that home remedies like cedar and bay will work but if they were my decks, I'd call the largest public library in my city and ask how they deal with silverfish, and then I'd do what they do.

Annabelle

Following on Debra's suggestion -- you might also call a big university library and ask for their advice, as well -- ask to speak to someone in preservation or archives.

moderndayruth

My mother also says its the best to contact city library and ask them that they should know. It seems we don't have these, our books are eaten by good old mice... :(
(Happened to us twice, with the books that were temporarily stored out of the hose. :( )

ctrymaus

I know this is an old thread, but I've seen a few silverfish this spring (after such a hard winter?? I'm in SW Ohio). As far as I know, we didn't have any silverfish last year. We moved to this house last June.

I'm worried about our books, board games (these are expensive, seriously, and Cat'r has hundreds), and my tarot and oracle card decks (I am sure I have over 100--I know, not that large a collection compared to many).

So far I have only seen (and killed): one silverfish on the hearth by the gas log fireplace in the living room; one near our bathroom vanity in the en suite; and one just tonight on the wall by my desk in my office. I absolutely hate them. Hate ALL bugs! Okay, I like fireflies (aka lightning bugs).

Here is what I'm planning on buying: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y2OW6A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADZPCEAMVGU2L

(some good reviews and especially in the answered questions section--no affiliation: it's just where we buy a lot of stuff, plus free shipping because we have Prime)

I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities, so I don't want to use harsh chemicals or natural-but-smelly things. The active ingredient in these packs is boric acid.

I think I might try this too:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O7AYO0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This might help on the spider problem too, I'm hoping.

And we need to do more thorough vacuuming upstairs where there is carpeting.

Ugh. Up so late because I have the willies and afraid to go to sleep now.

CountryMouse

Le Fanu

I had quite a bit of nibbling on some tarot boxes - the unlaminated, older ones - but nothing drastic - but I constantly worried about them, then consoled myself by thinking that with laminated decks & boxes they wouldn't be able to gnaw at them but they do like unlaminated card & paper.

I have now moved out of that house and feel quite relieved to be honest. No signs of silverfish in the new place.

Hope you find a solution!

Darkmage

Boric acid works well against all arthropods. IT MUST, HOWEVER, STAY DRY. This is critical--it works because in its dry form, it's made of small crystals. These act like razor blades, cutting the exoskeletons and letting the bugs bleed to death, basically. If it gets damp or wet, though, it *will* not work. Diatomaceous earth works the same, but isn't as dangerous if your pets or toddlers get into it.

I find the occasional silverfish here, too. The white ones die off when it starts consistently getting above 95F or so. The brownish-cream ones are native here and would rather be outside than in homes where (to them, anyway) it's too cold and humid.

I keep most of my cards in cedar boxes. Living in a desert takes care of the rest.

Grizabella

I shouldn't have read this post, darn it. We do have silverfish here in Oregon and I have a library of books I'm trying to build for my great-grandson. His first word was "book" and he loves to be read to. I've been slowly but surely trying to build him a collection of classic books to leave to him when I'm gone. I don't have much money and I never get to go into town so I do my book shopping online. Whenever I get a little money hoarded together that I can spare, I get a leather bound classic book to add to his library. There are quite good prices for those, especially from Amazon used sellers.

I live in a motor home far out in the country, though, and all kinds of bugs abound. I'll be just devastated if silverfish infest Gabriel's library! Now I'm going to have to check out all his books to be sure they're okay. I haven't seen any silverfish so I'm pretty confident that so far I don't have any in here.

greatdane

I keep sprigs of herbs in my tote bag with my decks

I know that I have a small collection compared to many though, so it probably isn't feasible for everyone to just put herbs in with their decks. I didn't put the herbs in to ward off any potential bugs that could wander by, but it seems to have that effect.

Obsydian

My house has silverfish around sometimes. I just now put my Kunati Quantum Tarot in a plastic bag because of this thread! Thanks!

Grizabella

Great Dane, what herbs would you recommend? And I wonder if it would work to just pick cedar fronds to put into the shelves, or if it would have to be incense cedar shavings. Cedar grows here all over the place so getting fronds is very simple.