How do feel about electronic tarot?

Starri Knytes

Good question! I almost always select my own cards, unless I'm just letting the app give me a "card of the day."
I was just wondering how others were using the app. I prefer to have my hands on a physical deck of cards too, think I felt unsure that my finger was getting on the actual card I wanted on the mobile app. They're so feakin little on my phone.

Lilianne

Especially an entire spread. You can't devote many pixels per card if you want to show the spread. The detail gets lost in ~12 pixels. :)

Russ1964

Hi all,

I don't know this app, but I do almost exclusively use electronic tools to create a spread and draw cards....which is unusual for me as I'm normally a traditionalist over things. For tarot readings, however, there are very good reasons why I prefer electronic....and I feel I get very good results from it.

The main reason is around shuffling and orientation of the cards. Although I'm a pretty good shuffler, even if I mess around with the orientation of my physical cards a good number of the cards will still be in the same orientation with respect to each other from one reading to another. Using electronic means you can go with complete randomisation of card order and card orientation. This is exactly what I need for my readings.

I also feel that I cam completely connected with the picking of the cards, as it depends upon the split second that I click to "shuffle" and "draw". I cannot know the split-second, but my Higher Consciousness does and prompts my mouse hand :)

And Woden, my inspiration, is in Anglo-Saxon attributes, the god energy connected with information and thus in modern times the information age. I feel no sense of contradiction that we have supplemented the use of paper, stone and wood for purposes of divination and are know using electronic tools.

Best regards
Russ

Aeric

I like the apps for idle subway readings or for whenever I've forgotten my cards.

I'm willing to spend less on an app for a deck that I'm less inclined to use as a set of cards and would keep lying around more often than not.

But I'd never use apps for the decks I'm serious about. Tarot is a card medium and using Tarot apps has the same inferior feeling of playing online poker instead of around a table with friends.

karlwb

I guess I’m old school. I didn’t go totally digital photo until about four years ago. I still prefer real books over e-books. Still buy CDs.
I suppose I feel that I can infuse my energy into an actual deck of cards over that of sending it over cyber-space or whatever.
This is not to say that I don’t take advantage of word processing and spreadsheets to journal my readings. But that is as far as I go.

PAMUYA

If I only have my kindle with me, I do readings electronically. I have found theses readings are accurate, and my clients don't mind. I was taught the magic is not in the cards, the magic is within you. I do perfer having my cards in hand, but in a pinch electronic tarot works.

danieru_X

I have about 5 different tarot apps as I like to try before I buy the real versions of some decks. As spending 5 bucks is a lot cheaper than buying a deck and hating it.

I also like the ability to cross reference the artwork of many decks to see if there are any other insights to be found.

Personally my favorite are the tarot illuminati and the Steampunk tarot app. Hope more come this way!

I think an app would be a great solution for some who may be a great designer but may not have the means to publish a deck. Hope these app companies pursue these types of people.

Le Fanu

I LOVE a well done tarot app. And there are some real stinkers out there.

But I never do proper readings with them. I can wait till I get home, thank you very much, and use a real deck with lovely silk reading cloths. I'm never in that much of a rush. I have about 20 apps. Mostly Fools Dog. They are perfect in every way. Anything which isn't Fool's Dog is always going to be substandard in some way.

I use them like coffee table books. I merely "explore". That's all I need them for. I love just looking at them. Like the Victorian Fairy and Hidden Realms (two recent favourites) - it's so wonderful to see all the details up close. To & from work, I explore them and look at all the details.

They bring a little love and brightness into spare, idle minutes of the day. I sit in restaurants and people might be thinking I am checking the stock exchange on my iPad over lunch but I'm actually contemplating fairies.

But readings? Never. And I don't think I've ever clicked on the journalling command.

Ace of Stars

Anything which isn't Fool's Dog is always going to be substandard in some way.

You've used every single Tarot app, on Android and iOS?

Le Fanu

You've used every single Tarot app, on Android and iOS?

I mean the ones for iPad in the iTunes store. I've downloaded all the Major ones. Free and paid. I've been looking at apps a lot the last few months and really - even with some of the other major decks out there in app form - there's always something wanting.