Your reading corner or reading table

Nemia

I store my cards in a nice box in my bedroom, in the lowest shelf of a bookcase where the tarot books live, too... but I don't have a special reading corner or reading table. I'd love to have one, though - my ideal would be an old fashioned writing desk with drawers where I can keep the cards and books together, all in easy reach.

I don't often read for others (and since I live at the end of the world, quite literally, not many people would come here anyway...), but when I do for my friends, we sit outside in the garden. When I read for myself, I drag out the box, pick a deck, and then have to find a place - the bed, the work table, or some other surface where I can spread my spread cloth and get going.

Although I have no special routine except for getting some inner quiet and enjoying the moment, I think that it would be good for my tarot experience to have a corner dedicated to the tarot, a table that is reserved for tarot. Just like my working table feels like working, my craft table feels like crafting, and the dining table feels like family meals.

I'd love to see pictures and hear your experiences if you have special reading corners, how you arranged them, or how you would arrange them if you could. And also if you think it's a bad idea or not necessary. I'm moving ideas around in my head at the moment and would be happy for input.

(If such a thread exists already, my apologies! I looked for one but didn't find it.)

Grizabella

I live in a 26-foot motor home so I don't have much room to get fancy with. I have a table in the kitchen area but I spend most of my time in the back area where I sleep. I have an oak board I've used for over 20 years as a portable table, writing board, or "whatever" space. I put out Tarot spreads on that board most of the time. I sit on my bed/couch and use the board to lay the cards out on. I also use the board for doing crafts and beadwork and sometimes as a dining table.

seedcake

Floor is my special place to read. When I've done it on the desk, I didn't feel ok. I like to do it on the floor 'cause I enjoy to sit in Japanese seiza (I think similiar way is in Birma and it's used by yogis etc.) which I find very comfy when I want to concentrate on the question. I was wondering about more fancy way but there's no need or I'll buy one of these little Japanese tables.

TheStarsAndTheMoon

I usually do most of my readings at my altar, but I have to sit on the floor so I've been seriously considering a desk or table of some sort for readings. I've actually been wanting an old fashioned desk/secretary for my altar and reading space to make it easier on me. All the drawer space and being able to keep everything in order and in easy reach would be great. If I could get my hands on a lovely older desk it would definitely be fantastic. My witchy trappings along with plants would adorn it. I have a grand vision of it in my head, but I can't quite seem to describe it in any way that gives my vision justice. :p

Morwenna

At home, which is where I do about 99% of my readings these days, I read on the bed. Just smooth out the bedding and stave off the cats.

There are some older threads here where people have posted some absolutely gorgeous reading spots! Yes, I'm jealous. But my husband and I are pack rats and apartment dwellers--not an easy combination.

Nemia

Oh, I'm sure there must be pictures somewhere - I'll continue to look for them, I'm too curious.

Thank you for your stories. They make such wonderful pictures in my head...

greatdane

My Reading/Computer Nook

I do a lot of readings online and I have a table that hopefully you can see here. This is my nook in the attic, where right next to my computer monitor, I have my Lenormands lined up and to the side of my chair, I have a reading table with my Pamela Colman Commemorative Decks (two, one for my readings, one for others) along with a picture of Miss Pamela. Just a folding wooden table, but it has an oversized crushed velvet amethyst colored reading cloth on it at all times. oh and under a small table on the other side of where my computer table is, is a good size tote bag where my small tarot collection resides :). It is canvas lined with a waxy lining with special stones and herbs in it.

Attachments

• nook1.jpg
    nook1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 364

Thoughtful

l have a dedicated room where l do my Reiki healing and readings. The room has wall shelving where l put little angel/fairy ornaments which have been gifted to me by clients. l also have a couple of small tables with many types of crystals arranged. A bookcase houses my tarot cards as well as cd's of quiet music that l use whilst healing. l have pictures on the walls of angels, flowers. Because of the healing that is done in this room it has a wonderful peaceful energy which is very conducive to readings as well as meditation.
Like you Nemia l love to also read the tarot outdoors on sunny days, nothing better than nature, the garden, and the birds to bring about a calm aura.
l hope you find your special place it does not have to be grand so long as you like it and feel peaceful, and you know its your special place where you read your cards in comfort.

Nemia

Oh, how heartwarming and beautiful. I have the commemorative set, too, and love the pictures. Haindl's tree is another picture that would look lovely in a tarot corner. Hmmmm............

Le Fanu

I used to set up my reading space on the coffee table in the living room and just leave it there, changing the props occasionally. I have now moved out and into a new place where I have been *PROMISED* my own reading room :D I shall have all my decks on shelves nearby plus a proper reading table.

Here are some examples of previous reading table spreads. I like clutter...

Attachments

• reading space.jpg
    reading space.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Readingspace2.jpg
    Readingspace2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 359
  • Readingspace3.jpg
    Readingspace3.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 357