Dual Meaning Cards

Teheuti

What are the main cards with dual meanings - needing other cards to clarify?

For instance, here are a few possibilities I've been considering:

Whip - binding/loosing (whip is loose and switch or fasces is bound)
Key - locking/unlocking
Clouds - stormy/clearing
Book - hidden/revealed (or does it always mean secret?)
Snake - deceptive rival/wise woman
Fox - work/embezzlement (stealing from work)

Likewise - which cards could be considered to have a direct opposite
Rider - arriving; Ship - departing
Birds - chatty/convivial; Tower - solitary
Birds - one-on-one; Garden - large groups
Tree - health; Coffin - illness/death
Mice - destructive; Anchor - solid, stable
Child - young; Lilies - age (Steinbach) ??
Letter - manuscript; Book - published book

Please correct any of the above if I am viewing them wrong.

Ronia

All cards depend on surrounding cards. Heart may be great love but heartbreak as well. Ring may be marriage or break up. Very few cards are excluded from this rule, i.e, the Sun which deminishes negtive influence and always improves the situation. Lenormand is all about combos and interaction. If you mean on their own, your list is extensive but then when combined with the other cards they will have only one meaning per situation, so... My point is, even if you learn all of these by heart, when you're reading a spread the only thing that will matter is which card comes before and after them, the combos, not the meanings on their own.

I just don't know about the Whip. The Whip is a card of difficult communication. This includes quarrels, heated arguments, court and legal dealings, tough negotiations, etc. It may be considered binding but then you'll need the Ring or Heart, etc., for example because the Whip itself can not bind. Same with loosing... It's a card that brings punishment/trouble of a kind, usually via words.

As a card of sexual nature, it again doesn't bring bonding. It's a fling on its own. Hot but short.

Garden can be a date.

Overall, they really depend too much on the surroundings.

Teheuti

All cards depend on surrounding cards. Heart may be great love but heartbreak as well. Ring may be marriage or break up.
Ah - I didn't realize a ring could be a breakup. So it would really help to view each card in terms of its supposed opposite. For instance, I look at Tree and assume good health and growth but I need to view it much more as good or ill health as well as growth or stagnation. Thinking in opposites helps me to be more open to a range of possibilities.

Whip: It may be considered binding but then you'll need the Ring or Heart, etc., for example because the Whip itself can not bind. Same with loosing... It's a card that brings punishment/trouble of a kind, usually via words.

As a card of sexual nature, it again doesn't bring bonding. It's a fling on its own. Hot but short.
Actually - the binding and loosing was a supposedly humorous play on BDSM (as I've seen listed in several places) - but, I see what you mean. If I play with such ideas too much I might overlook what is really going on.

lord_ewin

Imagine:

1) Man + Heart + Woman.

2) Then imagine Man + Heart + Ring + Woman...

3) Then imagine Man + Scythe + Ring + Woman

What is the ring telling you in the 2nd? What about in the 3rd?

Go ahead and play with the cards a bit, keep the Man + X + Ring + Woman and see what it inspires you. :) All the cards have several meanings depending on the context. What you need to know is the basic nature of the card and then extrapolate from there.

I think the better question would be to see which card remains the same the most (that don't have multiple meanings). I see the scythe, man and woman as the few cards that do not change. I'd have to think a bit longer to see if I'd find more.

Regards,
LE

DownUnderNZer

Certain cards would have to have another card to imply the message.

RING GARDEN: Promiscuous unsettled types. e.g. Gigolos.
RING ANCHOR: Long term relationship
RING CLOUDS: Uncertainty around a relationship.

Defintely DUAL meanings, but with other cards it can be clarified.

Teheuti

Certain cards would have to have another card to imply the message.

RING GARDEN: Promiscuous unsettled types. e.g. Gigolos.
RING ANCHOR: Long term relationship
RING CLOUDS: Uncertainty around a relationship.

Defintely DUAL meanings, but with other cards it can be clarified.
With all of these the Ring still stands for a relationship. What seems to change is the level of commitment to that relationship.

I would think of Ring-Garden more as someone who has relationships with many - yes, promiscuous or even a bigamist.

For a gigolo I'd look for other indicators - money, younger man, older woman? Child-Man-Fish-Ring-Woman-Lilies (or Whip-Fish-Ring-Snake—using the court cards here)????

What cards would indicate a gigolo relationship?

Teheuti

Imagine:

1) Man + Heart + Woman.

2) Then imagine Man + Heart + Ring + Woman...

3) Then imagine Man + Scythe + Ring + Woman

What is the ring telling you in the 2nd? What about in the 3rd?
I like the idea of playing with all these. Thanks.

DownUnderNZer

With all of these the Ring still stands for a relationship. What seems to change is the level of commitment to that relationship.

I would think of Ring-Garden more as someone who has relationships with many - yes, promiscuous or even a bigamist. For a gigolo I'd look for other indicators - money, younger man, older woman? Child-Man-Fish-Ring-Woman-Lilies (or Whip-Fish-Ring-Snake—using the court cards here)????

What cards would indicate a gigolo relationship?

Maybe my use of gigolo wasnt quite right...was running out the door...am waiting for my appointment.

CROSSROADS could also indicate a person seeing more than one or two others...need to look up gigolo...I wanted to say something like SKANK or Ho Ho Ho, but wasnt sure if that is permissable on AT.

Gigolo I will have to think about...come back to it later as appointment is 5 mins away.

DownUnderNZer

Gigolo...now that's interesting. I wonder how that would appear in the cards?

I wonder if it would be cards to describe the man, such as the garden to show single or likes to play the field...fox to show sneakiness...snake to show another woman...

Anyone else have thoughts?

Garden and Ring is play the field as is Ring and Crossroads.

Snake can be another woman...

Ring and Snake....cheating, deceptive relationship, problematic relationship.

Still thinking about gigolo....

Off to next appointment :)