360 hand drawn pictures

MCsea

So my friend has finally completed a hand drawn picture - in full colour for each of the 360 sabian symbols... they are realy amazing.. beautiful - magical..
what we are thinking is...
what next..
how does she go about selling these? any ideas?
scan to a CD and sell?
download from the net?
tarot (or smaller) style cards -and how?
a book?
blessings
Marina

Pet Jeffery

My thought is to scan the images, import them into a Word document, and then publish as a book (using Lulu, or a similar site).

I considered publishing my books on CD, but I don't think that people are very likely to buy material in the form of a CD-ROM. (Of course, I could be wrong.)

This may give some idea of what one can do on Lulu:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperba...uctTrackingContext=author_spotlight_46285231_

If one clicks on preview, one will see an image from one of my tarot cards reproduced, by Lulu, as the cover. Clicking on to page iv, the same tarot card is reproduced as imported into a Word document as a greyscale image. I hope that will give some idea of how Lulu would reproduce the images in book form.

cardlady22

A lot depends on the original size she has drawn them and the depth of resolution she has them scanned. I would advise that she speak to a few different "publisher" companies about the formats they prefer things to be uploaded.

tarotlyn has just finished her All Bears Tarot in a poker card size through The Game Crafter. https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/all-bears-tarot

Personally, I would prefer a PDF book format with the option of download or print copy; or an iPhone/iPod type of application.

I do have many Playing Card System references that are PDFs burned to CD-ROMs. An excellent index goes a long way with this format! ;)

purple_scorp

Hi Marina,

I hope you are well.

Your friend could always chat to Richard (Orphalese software programmer). Other artists sell electronic versions of decks. Ciro did that with his Tarot of Dreams.

with love
purple_scorp

Melia

So my friend has finally completed a hand drawn picture - in full colour for each of the 360 sabian symbols... they are realy amazing.. beautiful - magical..
what we are thinking is...
what next..
how does she go about selling these? any ideas?
scan to a CD and sell?
download from the net?
tarot (or smaller) style cards -and how?
a book?
blessings
Marina

Marina, I'm thinking what next too. Wow. I'd love to see some samples. Is this possible?
I love the concept and would buy them as a card deck (I have a sabian symbols card deck that I do use) and in book form. I would not buy them in CD form, but probably others would.

purple_scorp

Hi Melia,

I know what you mean about wanting to feel the deck in your hand. I have Lynda Hill's card decks (the 12 zodiac and 30 degree cards) which are only a total of 42 cards to deal with.

The only problem with buying the full 360 set in a card deck is that is a heck of a lot of cards. How do you handle them, shuffle, lay them out?

I had an idea. Marina, maybe your friend needs to create a set of 42 pictorial cards (like Lynda's) in addition to the 360 symbols that she has already created. Then, you could shuffle and select from the 12 zodiac cards and then from the 30 degrees and then, look up the image in the book. This is what I currently do with your book Marina, and also with Lynda Hill's book, and I have one of Lyn Birkbeck's books too. I draw on all of my sabian books to really get an understanding of the symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

MCsea

Thats a great idea purple_scorp!
I will let her know..

We are thinking we may have to self publish this - we cant find a publisher who wants to print a coloured book ...
I am also thinking a CD of the pictures would be easy to sell, but my friend is worried about copy write..

but the cards + pics book is a great idea..
We also know her pictures would be great for meditations.. somewhere to start...

:)

Rootrealm

I would certainly be interested in buying either a book or CD of the Sabian Symbols illustrated. It always seemed odd to me that the "Sabian Symbols" were not images to begin with, but were descriptions. To me a description is not a symbol. Only something in visual form qualifies to me as a symbol. So I thought the term symbol was inappropriate to begin with, but would become appropriate if images were indeed made of all the descriptions that the psychic woman originally gave, way back when, when these were first written down.

MCsea

I would certainly be interested in buying either a book or CD of the Sabian Symbols illustrated. It always seemed odd to me that the "Sabian Symbols" were not images to begin with, but were descriptions. To me a description is not a symbol. Only something in visual form qualifies to me as a symbol. So I thought the term symbol was inappropriate to begin with, but would become appropriate if images were indeed made of all the descriptions that the psychic woman originally gave, way back when, when these were first written down.

:D
Hi
well my dear friend Judith has her 360 hand drawn sabian symbols book published!
On amazon
The Sabian Symbols Visually by Judith Hayes...
soft cover colour book and a less expensive e-book (just in time for Christmas)
:D
Im so proud of her.. I hope to introduce you all to her here soon
love and joy
Marina

Babalon Jones

First off, congratulations to her. Truly an impressive accomplishment to draw 360 pictures!

This was something I am, or was, very interested in, as a long-time user of the symbols.

I say "was" because when I found it on Amazon, the book is $75 for a paperback and does not show one single example of what is inside. All I have to go on is the cover to determine the quality of the art and very little about what is in the book other than a too brief description.

So my advice to her if she expects most people with interest to buy is to show something! Because there is no way I would shell out $75 for a paperback (or a hardcover for that matter) with no idea what I was getting inside, no matter how into the Sabian symbols I am, yanno? It would help if she used Amazon's "Look Inside This Book" feature or had a website or something.

If there is somewhere to view it or parts thereof that I've missed, please post a link here, as I really am interested!