Unlabelled Tumbled Stones - ID help?

Deanne

I was wondering if if was Labradorite too. As far as flash goes--in lesser quality stones, if flash is there, you may have to get it in just the right light and at just the right angle to get it to show. Try flipping it around and angling it a hundred different ways in different lights. I picked up one for a friend not long ago that's extremely picky that way...and when the flash isn't visible, it's a boring gray green. (But it's spectrolite, so when you convince it to show off, it's got a full rainbow of colors. So tempted to keep that one!)

I don't think D is Labradorite any more - I've played around with it for a while and haven't seen any change. Also, when I held it up in the sunlight the stone appeared very green; it seems grey most of the time, but direct natural light really brought out the green colour (no sheen or anything though)

Pretty certain. Moonstone has greyish/semi transparent bands running through, or a "cat's eye" effect in the middle. Rainbow moonstone gives off a multi coloured sheen like Labradorite does (natch! Cause it is actually a form of Labradorite!)

To me, Moonstone is pretty distinctive. It has a pearly sheen to it that isn't present on white quartz. And the white moonstone I've personally seen doesn't have the almost bleached white tone of the white quartz, it's closer to an off white. I tend to agree with Padma based on current evidence.

Okay, thanks for elaborating on that :) This stone definitely doesn't have any of those effects/features, so white Quartz it is.

Well...it looks more pink/greyish white to me than brown. Smoky Topaz normally runs from a very pale whitish brown to a very dark brown, and anywhere in between. But, I guess it might be, if it looks brown to you in real life? Computer monitors can change the real colour of things.

I'd need more pics to be sure, but right now, it doesn't look like any smoky I'm familiar with. Close ups, more angles, and holding it up to the light might help, it looks pinkish on my screen too.

Hmm, I still don't see any pink, but I don't see brown either. Just completely grey. Will look into that some more.
I'm starting to think I'll keep this stone separate from most of the others regardless. Most of my tumbles I use for their metaphysical properties, but this one I don't actually feel much with. I chose it because it has these 'shapes' inside that look like buildings, trees, mountains, or some other structure - looks like a whole little magical land inside :) I just like to look at it. Can't get that detail in a photo though :(

Padma

Well, if it feels good, then use it :) It doesn't matter what its name is.

If it is a really impure or super low grade value smoky topaz, it might be a watery grey - but - that is unusual. Again, name of a thing doesn't mater, not really!

I think your stone D really is a moss agate, then. Like I said, they aren't all identical and lacy-looking inside. There are several grades or levels of value/quality to a mineral, and if you get a butt-ender, they are dull normally, with little light interplay, and few inclusions that are interesting. So these ones are your $1 tumblestones, very garden variety ;)

Your mildly pricier stones are the prehnite, the rose quartz, the amethyst, and perhaps the red jasper, and the rhodonite (or lepidolite). That is, if the dollar value means anything much to you.

If not, then just enjoy having them around ;)

Thanks for the fun puzzle of trying to identify them! I enjoyed it :)

Deanne

Your mildly pricier stones are the prehnite, the rose quartz, the amethyst, and perhaps the red jasper, and the rhodonite (or lepidolite). That is, if the dollar value means anything much to you.

If not, then just enjoy having them around ;)

Thanks for the fun puzzle of trying to identify them! I enjoyed it :)

I love a good deal (on anything, not just stones!) but I figure I got 21 stones for $15 - about 71 cents each is good no matter how you look at it!

Of the tumbles I bought 'regularly' (from the labelled boxes) my most expensive was a $4 piece of Garnet - I'm happy with that as I was really drawn to this piece :)

JuniperPress

I'm going to have a go at some, especially the ones that are up in the air:)

I think D. is a dark serpentine - it comes in a very wide range of colours and yours looks to be similar to the one shown on this site http://blueapples.ca/article-category/crystals-metaphysical-properties/

I am almost certain that I. is petrified wood - because of the bands and the brown area on the side plus the opacity/heaviness of it (don't know how to explain it really)

K. is a tough one but if it's pinkish-greyish, maybe a tad bit purple it might be a lithium quartz - depending on the lithium content it can be pink to a very dark purple and sort of greyish in places. When you hold it does it seem super calming? I find that people who really can't 'feel' most crystals almost 100% of the time say that lithium quartz seems 'calming' and 'soothing' to them:)

For S. - does it have any grey lines running through it at all? My guess on this one is howlite but it's hard to say but a telltale sign would be grey lines running through it sort of wispy like marble-y:)

Also, another vote for D. being moss agate:)

Deanne

Figured out K!!

Okay, this thread is quite old and I completely gave up on the couple I hadn't identified months ago.

But today I was searching for info on a newer stone I have. This new one is definitely clear quartz, but seemed to have some blue 'splotches' inside (for lack of a better word). So I looked up 'clear quartz with inclusions'. I figured that was a long shot and I'd have to wade through a lot of unhelpful stuff, but was very pleasantly surprised. The first link to show up was exactly what I needed!

Apparently there's a name for quartz with inclusions - lodolite. As the inclusions can be anything the appearance varies a lot. Some of the images looked very much like my new stone. But some of them also looked a lot like stone K from this post :) And apparently it can also be called Scenic, Garden, or Landscape quartz due to the miniature scenes that often appear in the stone - exactly what I mentioned in post #11, and the reason I love that piece so much <3

I don't know if that info will help anyone - if it does, great! If not, I'm just happy to have a name for this crystal :D