7 of cups Skull....

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, I have always wondered what the seven of cups skull is supposed to mean, it creeps me out in a negative way. It should have lost its punch from when I started to learn this deck, back in 93'. Though it still stays with me. Anyone feel the same way? Can anyone explain its real meaning? Thanks.

Serpenta

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, thanks for your take on it, it helps.

Serpenta

Apocalipstick

Another way to look at it, especially given the illusory aspect of the card, is that victory is fleeting. In that regard, the skull on the cup, likely unseen by the person obviously dazzled by the display of wonders in the seven cups, is a small, subtle warning to tread warily when making a choice.

BodhiSeed

Apocalipstick said:
Another way to look at it, especially given the illusory aspect of the card, is that victory is fleeting.

Thanks for this insight Apocalipstick! So in the case of the wreath, it could mean victory (and the "high" you experience from it) is fleeting.

Bodhran

Rosanne

Another aspect of this card is the difference between true fulfilled dreams and pipe-dreams and may be a nod toward a biblical quote. It is from 1 Corinthians chpter 15 54-56
... and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall the written word be fulfilled, "Death is swallowed up in Victory. Death, where is your victory? Death where is your sting?"
The Christian aspect might be life is the illusion, and wanting it all is just egotism. ~Rosanne

Papageno

Rosanne said:
Another aspect of this card is the difference between true fulfilled dreams and pipe-dreams and may be a nod toward a biblical quote. It is from 1 Corinthians chpter 15 54-56
... and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall the written word be fulfilled, "Death is swallowed up in Victory. Death, where is your victory? Death where is your sting?"
The Christian aspect might be life is the illusion, and wanting it all is just egotism. ~Rosanne

:thumbsup:

Elnor

It reminds me of celebrities, who despite gaining the fame that they longed for, still led unhappy lives- and often died alone, (think Marilyn Monroe as an example).

Elnor

Myrrha

I always thought that represented Fame.

The things in the cups seem to represent things people strive for in life. Many people want to be remembered after they die.

--Myrrha

Gavriela

The cup with the skull and the wreath atop represents the World trump, associated with Saturn by the Golden Dawn. Each of the cups in the 7 represents a planetary trump, and as there are 7 planets in the old system, it works out quite nicely.

It can certainly be read other ways, but that's one more attribution.