Piatnik TdM cardstock Q

Le Fanu

Astraea said:
. It is one of my favorite TdM, and in fact I admire its Hermit best of all the historical decks

O yes, the Hermit. Funny, every time I look at his brown coat I think "yeti".

Sravana, just a tip: I received the Meneghello Marsiglia "Svizzera" (from alida) recently and it is just stunning. Dream cardstock, dream everything, and of all the TdMs Ive come across or got in my collection, this is perhaps the most beautiful after the Vieville. If you´re willing to shell out a bit more for a special TdM, you won´t regret this one. In certain moments, I love it even more than the Vieville. It has that same "mystery" about it which isn´t a part of the artwork (if you know what I mean). I don´t know where it comes from, but it sure has something special. A better buy than the Piatnik at any rate...

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
O yes, the Hermit. Funny, every time I look at his brown coat I think "yeti".

Sravana, just a tip: I received the Meneghello Marsiglia "Svizzera" (from alida) recently and it is just stunning. Dream cardstock, dream everything, and of all the TdMs Ive come across or got in my collection, this is perhaps the most beautiful after the Vieville. If you´re willing to shell out a bit more for a special TdM, you won´t regret this one. In certain moments, I love it even more than the Vieville. It has that same "mystery" about it which isn´t a part of the artwork (if you know what I mean). I don´t know where it comes from, but it sure has something special. A better buy than the Piatnik at any rate...
Le Fanu, thanks for the tip, but it's too late! I've had that deck for literally years, back before the time that LS decks were readily available here (so you know it was a LONG time ago). I actually got mine from Alexandra Genetti (the creator of the Wheel of Change deck), back when we were all on tarot-l. The only thing I don't like about that deck is that the trimming is uneven - the cards aren't the same size - and that makes shuffling difficult. I'm considering taking it to a printer and having that rectified.

I have it sitting out on my dresser in it's box - mine came in a lidded box with Le Bateleur on it. Yes, it's *very* special, and still available from Alida.

I did note that someone around here alluded to some kind of strangeness in the history of that deck - something dark - but I never found out what that might be. If I ever figure out how to nose around the archives perhaps I'll find the answer.

Le Fanu

sravana said:
I did note that someone around here alluded to some kind of strangeness in the history of that deck - something dark - but I never found out what that might be. If I ever figure out how to nose around the archives perhaps I'll find the answer.

O please find out! I love this deck and it might make me love it even more! (or keep it at arm´s length forever!)

When I got mine, I had to trim some of the edges because they hadn´t been cut properly and had bits of white card where they had been trimmed badly at the printer´s (?).

After trimming they look fine. You hardly notice the fractional differences in size. When shuffling, just close your eyes and imagine it´s an 1804 edition. That´s what I do :)

Moonbow

I'm a little late to this thread and I think everything is covered!

I agree with what Myrrha has to say about the Piatnik, its one of my heaviest card stock Marseilles, far heavier than the Heron Conver.

You may like to have a read of this thread which points out loads of details about the deck, Le Pendu has a great eye for noticing detail:

Piatnik TdM [Tarot de Marseille]

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
O please find out! I love this deck and it might make me love it even more! (or keep it at arm´s length forever!)

When I got mine, I had to trim some of the edges because they hadn´t been cut properly and had bits of white card where they had been trimmed badly at the printer´s (?).

After trimming they look fine. You hardly notice the fractional differences in size. When shuffling, just close your eyes and imagine it´s an 1804 edition. That´s what I do :)
That's a good suggestion... :) Make-believe. :) I just got out my copy and I do notice individual cards which have the white showing, but they don't seem to be the "larger" cards necessarily.
Is your box papered over with a warm gold paper? It's such a lovely box, very sturdy and lovely to boot. It also has a red and gold wax seal on the front. :)
Moonbow* said:
I'm a little late to this thread and I think everything is covered!

I agree with what Myrrha has to say about the Piatnik, its one of my heaviest card stock Marseilles, far heavier than the Heron Conver.

You may like to have a read of this thread which points out loads of details about the deck, Le Pendu has a great eye for noticing detail:

Piatnik TdM [Tarot de Marseille]
Thanks for that link, Moonbow*. I read through the link, and I think that I will definitely be ordering that deck, sooner rather than later. Perhaps in the New Year, after the Presidential Election is over, and hopefully the economy is back in balance. :rolleyes: I'm definitely going to spring for thinbuddha's Payen, though, in the fancy box!

Le Fanu

Yes... the box for mine sounds like yours. In fact all my Meneghello boxes are of this type. Ive never managed to get those things with ribbons which everyone else seems to get when they order a Meneghello deck...

Not meaning to scupper the thread, but have you seen scans of the Nostradamus Tarot? (Also known as Tarot of the Centuries? published I think by Héron?) Isn´t this an interesting deck? Im often tempted by this, but wonder if there is a link anywhere to see all the cards. If anyone knows of one, please let me know...

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
Yes... the box for mine sounds like yours. In fact all my Meneghello boxes are of this type. Ive never managed to get those things with ribbons which everyone else seems to get when they order a Meneghello deck...

Not meaning to scupper the thread, but have you seen scans of the Nostradamus Tarot? (Also known as Tarot of the Centuries? published I think by Héron?) Isn´t this an interesting deck? Im often tempted by this, but wonder if there is a link anywhere to see all the cards. If anyone knows of one, please let me know...
I've not seen that deck, but isn't it supposedly a mash-up of the TdM and the Payen? Or some such?
For some reason I decided to not get it... I think because I'm going to get thinbuddha's Payen restoration, so I dont' really NEED another deck that's based on it. Or something like that! lol

Le Fanu

sravana said:
I've not seen that deck, but isn't it supposedly a mash-up of the TdM and the Payen? Or some such?
For some reason I decided to not get it... I think because I'm going to get thinbuddha's Payen restoration, so I dont' really NEED another deck that's based on it. Or something like that! lol

...by the way... I bought this Nostradamus deck yesterday and - you know it has (how can I say this?)... "character". Ive started a thread here on it. It´s really quite nice, though I know it has had short shrift here at AT. Nice colours, nice cardstock. Flawed, of course, but worth it I think.

I will also buy thinbuddha´s restoration. Now, now, there´s nothing wrong with having more decks than one needs... ;)

gregory

Is this the Krebs Piatnik ? aka Rhenan ? because my box is blue, rather than red, and came out in 1983….. But it’s nice, and on very thick stock. And incidentally – the Dusserre Dodal is on the yellow side, too :D

I have the Nostradamus too – I like :D

Who is to say which are flawed ? who was around at the time to know which was most highly regarded then ? (Just asking….. }))

Le Fanu

gregory said:
Is this the Krebs Piatnik ? aka Rhenan ? because my box is blue, rather than red, and came out in 1983….. But it’s nice, and on very thick stock. And incidentally – the Dusserre Dodal is on the yellow side, too :D

I have the Nostradamus too – I like :D

Who is to say which are flawed ? who was around at the time to know which was most highly regarded then ? (Just asking….. }))

Funny... my Ignaz Krebs (yes this is the one we were discussing) is dated 1984 as first edition and comes in a red box. You must have a pre-first edition :)

I meant flawed in the sense that I think some of the cards may be "not quite authentic 18th Century". And did they colour in with coloured pencils in 1713? Some bits look odd.

And that N.D signiature on the 2 of Cups... Is that really Nostradamus???